Tidal Fish Forum banner

Kicker Motor

2K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  27 sailfish 
#1 ·
Im considering buying a kicker motor for my 23' walkaround with a 200hp. Is 15 hp enough for trolling or do i need more hp, also has anyone use or have ever used the happy troller ( you know the flap that goes behind your prop and is supposed to slow you down to a better trolling speed).

#3 ·
I've got a Happy Troller. had it on a 75hp. If ya need one, we can figure something out;) -------------------

#5 ·
Kicker

I'm curious about that too. My fishing yacht is a 24' cuddy with a 200 merc. Whilst I don't really mind doing the trolling thing with it, (I adjusted the idle so it will troll at 2.5 knots) I plan on going offshore this summer & would feel much more comfortable with at least some form of backup, just in case. My other concern is what having another engine hanging back there is gonna do to the running angle of the boat & I wonder iffn they are light enough that you could carry it in the bow & mount it up if & when you actually need it.

#7 ·
I plan on going offshore this summer & would feel much more comfortable with at least some form of backup, just in case. My other concern is what having another engine hanging back there is gonna do to the running angle of the boat & I wonder iffn they are light enough that you could carry it in the bow & mount it up if & when you actually need it.
1st of all, if you're really 'off-shore', a kicker isn't going to do squat if the winds are blowing much and your running into 4-6' seas. It might hold you in place, but you'd make no headway. The only reliable 'back-up' is another main engine. Or SeaTow.

Also, considering weight, after I removed my kicker during a winter, I noticed my boat was heeling to starboard a few inches when sitting in the slip. It took me a little bit to figure out that I had removed 95# of weight from the port side of the boat, so I need to get some lead ingots for some couterweight in my bilge.

#6 ·
My 22' Grady came w/ a 9.9 kicker. It came in useful once or twice when my engine died in 'kicking' me back to the dock. I tried trolling w/ it but it wasn't powerful enough if the wind was over 10kts (which NEVER happens during trolling season...;) ). So essentially I never used it, just had it as an emergency backup. I recently bought a new main engine, so I got rid of it and have been using an electric trolling motor on the bracket for inshore casting purposes.

Also, the kicker was 95#, and when I bought the boat, the kicker bolts had been pulled through the outer glass well into the plywood core, which was allowing water to get into the transom. Just to be aware that you're putting a bit of stress on the area, so if you're mounting a bracket, make sure to use BIG backing stainless washers. And think twice about getting a much bigger (hp and weight) motor as a kicker.

#8 ·
offshore

uncljohn, I find myself in a quandry. I moved out to the country a while back after living in Tidewater for nearly 20 years of a 25year navy career. During most of that time I had a 37' Egg sportfisherman with twin 440s. When I relocated I felt it was wise to sell her & buy a bass boat for local fishing in the river. Got to missing tuna, dolphin & wahoo real bad. Last fall I bought myself a trailer boat so's I could run up & down the coast as well as fish the bay while living on my retirement income. Everyone convinced me that I would be happy with the single merc engine & they were right, it powers the boat just fine, I never find myself wishing for more. However, offshore to me is 30 or more miles & I like fishing out there. While I feel comfortable fishing out there & trust my boat, there is always a possibility of engine failure & 60-80 miles is a little further then a vhf radio will reach. I know a 15 horse backup motor isn't gonna 'plane' the boat back home but I would imagine it should move it along at 6-8 knots, at least enough to get it into radio range. Do you disagree? Trust me, the idea of shelling out 3 thou for something that isn't gonna do the job doesn't appeal to me a bit. Likewise, the idea of staying at home don't appeal to me either.

People don't bat an eye about hireing one of the OI single engine charter boats to take 'em out to the stream for tuna but tell 'em you are going to take a single 10,000 dollar outboard out there & they call you nuts, go figure. I have no reason to doubt my engine but SWMBO swears I'm gonna go out & not come back. Trust me. If momma ain't happy pretty soon I am not gonna be happy either. I figured this is a good way to quiet her down but at the same time, it ought to reasonably be capable of doing the job it is intended for.

#9 ·
I had a 25' cuddy with a single I/O. We put a 25hp Merc on a heavy duty bracket-made a 1/4 '' thick backing plate.Had a safety cable ran through an eye on the stern.Great for trolling-wide open we could do 5-8 knots into 2-3' chop.Had to limp home one time-about 9 miles not quite 2 hours.

For off shore-go out with a "buddy" boat.Stay close in touch by radio and agree to meet and run back together.Most days that are fishable for small boats-you'll have enough "friends" to help you out.The new outboards are much safer then what we used to use.Carry spare filters and wrench along with spare spark plugs.After that not much else that can be fixed on the water. Skip

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.