Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those fathers on TF who've taken their son (or daughter) offshore on a fishing trip -- in your opinion, how old is old enough to go offshore? Not necessarily to fish -- just to go along. We usually go out to the canyons from OCMD. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,804 Posts
My son Robbie's first trip in the bay was when he was 2 years old. We hooked the "Jonnie jump up" to the T top and he had a blast the whole time we were out. His first offshore trip was when he was 5... he has worked many charters with me since and is 12 now. Granted, the offshore trips have always been on large sport fishers but personally I don't think you can start a kid fishing early enough, even if its just the experience of being out. Because I started him young, he has never been sea sick and probably never will be. As long as you have all your safety gear in check and they are well monitored, get them started!

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Taken plenty of kids 9 to 10 years old. Now there in the 20s and they still fish offshore. Most have nicer boats them me : )

·
Registered
682 Posts
I first got offshore on a 25 CC when I was 9 and was addicted. Friend of mine has been offshore since he was 4 or 5 on a 28' walk around. What ever you can do to get their asses of video games, X-Square, Twittergram, and Snaptext is a good thing! ... Kevin

·
Registered
636 Posts
I mated a charter one time when one of the female crew unexpectly went into labor (1 1/2 months) early and gave birth before being airlifted by USCG Key West. Granted I was working a boat in Florida and were only ten miles out when it occurred. Not sure if new born qualifies or ten miles qualifies, but true story. My first trip was at five, began mating at 13 and now have been running private yacht up and down coast to whatever tournament the owner wants to fish. Been captain for 25 years. Obtained six pack at 16 now operating under 1200 ton master. I cannot thank my father enough for that first trip at 5 and getting me hooked into a sport that turned into a damn good career!

·
Registered
73 Posts
Had my 3 boys offshore at 8,6,4 years of age. Give them eats, drinks and games......and let them drive the boat....and all is good

·
Registered
188 Posts
Took my girls girls quite a bit back in the day. I just picked fair weather days and they wore life jackets. They had had a blast. Great memories forever.

Attachments

·
Registered
288 Posts
Heck my 3 girls go with me 5,11,13 an heck the 5 year out fishes us most the time. It is crazy they love it my middle gets bored when catching is slow but new boat has a cabin. She can get down in an watch a movie or just lounge.

·
Registered
636 Posts
I stand corrected, in previous post I stated obtaining OUPV at 16. I post from phone most the time and inadvertently stated 16 and was actually 18. Tried to edit post but can't figure out how to on phone. Small phone fat finger syndrome. I apologize for error.

·
Registered
18 Posts
My son is nine now and I've taken him offshore since he was six. Wish I had started earlier in order to get a jump on the seasickness problem. Many thanks to the guys on this board who have taken us out. When choosing fishing companions, guys with kids themselves are the most safety conscious of anyone. Regardless of who you're fishing with, kids should always be wearing a pfd and you should have first aid training and supplies. If you're looking for a nearshore training day, the Cock Robin out of Point Pleasant, NJ is exceptionally kid friendly.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts