Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I've had a run of misfortune the past few days work wise........All the awesome fishing reports have been driving me crazy but moms car has broke down two days in a row.......1st day, bad starter.......day 2, coil goes bad. Dont mind at all helping MOM out but this has put me behind on Paying customers:eek2: So after missing 3 days of hot fishing, I finally get to go out today with my buddy Nate......................So I think.

We wanted to launch at Shipping Creek and fish EB but do to are late(1:30) start, we decided to launch at the comm. ramp out of the Magothy and fish the mouth of the Chester. Half way there, on Belveduere Shouls, we found a nice hump with a few fish. Shut the motor of, jigged the hump, went to restart motor and NADA. Being a mechanic, I did all that I could.........narrowed the prob. down to the starter. With no other boats in-site, it was time to call Sea-Tow.

Here was our view for the rest of the evening:

I WOULD JUST LIKE TO SAY: Every year when I pay that Unlimited Towing fee, I bulk and think "I have never used this service". Well let me tell ya.......I will gladly pay that $120 with a smile from now on.........Take a gander at this invoice.

If it dos'nt come out clearly........it was $651 from .6 miles east of Red#10 to Grays cr. in the Magothy..........Tow Boat was there in 30 minutes, very curdious, I never had to do anything.......he hooked everything up and told us to enjoy the ride. I asked him to atleast drop it down too 2.8 knots so I could deploy a trolling spread but he would'nt go for it. He did say though, that we could throw out some lines and maybe pick up some blues........I guess he dont know they are all but gone. At 8 knots, if it were August, it would have been "MACS ON:yes:). I tell ya, next time we've had a few to many to drink......or just feel lazy, I'm gonna un-plug a couple criticial wires, and call Sea Tow for a nice relaxing ride in(just kidding).

Fact is guys, this towing is worth every penny........

Got the boat home....comformed starter problem.....starter off.....get new one tomorrow.

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
Can't agree with you more.....
I havn't had to call for years now but when I have needed them before they were always prompt, curteous, and professional.
That unlimited tow insurance is mandatory to have in my book.

·
Premium Member
26,107 Posts
Shame no other Tfer was out to help.At least the insurance covered the bill.

Did you try starting the motor with the pull rope ? Alot of guys do not realize it can be done - the key needs to be on though ;-).

·
Registered
8,994 Posts
Been there done that with T.B-US.1st. year I got it,a bearing retainer lodged in the lower unit bearing and locked the bearing up till the driveshaft snapped!Your luck lately sounds like my luck most of the time!Thought I heard you say you were tearin' the Fish up.:D

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
Damn Bill @ least you had the tow bill payed for 651.00 for .6 would have hopped in Ironman swam it in or

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
Gee guess I'm glad I had to work LOL. I usually just hit the starter with a hammer when it won't crank :D

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
Bill; sorry your day ended so badly. Good information on the unlimited towing. I have been fortunate and not had to use it yet. It is reassuring to know it's there if you need it. 5th

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Sea Tow - worth every penny.

Two years ago I went out in the Rhode River. On my way to the Bay, the engine started to stall. We sat 200 yards from our dock, called Sea Tow, dropped the hook and started fishing. Sea Tow was there in half an hour. They towed us back to the dock. It cost $250. Thank goodness I had the insurance, and I will continue to purchase it every year.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Bill- I guess it only takes one tow to make up for all those years of making annual payments. At least you weren't in the middle of a blitz when the motor wouldn't start.

·
Registered
2,859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Skip-I have an IO.....I dont think the pull rope applies
John-I was .6 miles from #10 BOUY.......PROB. 10 miles to my creek.
PaPaBear-tried banging on the starter....cleaning cables.....she was flat out DONE!
Andy-or the middle of the shipping channel with a freighter bearing down:eek2:
All others-yes the unlimited plan is well worth it.

Bill

·
Premium Member
1,923 Posts
Bill

You sure are having a tough go at it. Don't fret the fishing is only going to get better and by then your boat should be fixed. Good luck.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi Bill,

Glad to see you made it off the water. Good thing it wasn't weather like we were in last year day after Christmas!

Makes two motors look really tempting.

Take care,
Albert

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Sorry to hear of the troubles Bill. This year has been tough boat wise. Hopefully everything is gonna be good to go from here on out.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Hey Bill, Bad Luck for sure....Glad it turned out OK...So that's roughly $ 65 per mile ?? $120 a year sounds like a deal...Did you catch any fish before it broke?? cujo

·
Registered
2,859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Dead calm seas and almost no current......so no need to throw the hook. No Bill, we did not catch any fish....we had only mede a few jigs on are first stop of the day and the boat never restarted. I did fing a new, nice piece of structure......not quite sure what it is yet but will deffinitly be back to explore.....so all was not bad:yes: I'm trying to stay optimistic.

Good news......Ventor Marine had the starter in stock and open on a Sunday...starter is in but bolts are not quite snugged down yet....Game Time:yes:.......so it will be a working progress.

Did have one other boo boo last night though.......started to rain after we had just finished pulling the bad starter off.......I hurried to get my tools out of the rain, but guess what I over-looked????? My cell phone. 10 minutes in the rain and its no more good. Oh Well, had insurance on that too:clapping2:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Our fishing trip looked almost identical. Except it was the second boat that broke down on us on saturday. I didnt have the full insurance. I will when we go back in 2 weeks. It was 175.00 an hour. We learned a lesson this weekend. We also were towed back too fast to troll, but didnt dare tell him to slow down. Any way im glad you guys got back safetly as well. Ive never uploaded a pic on here ,so i hope it posts when i finish this,but if not it looks just like yours. PS. i wasnt much of a fan of the yellow and red lights on the tow boat, it was kinda embarresing. Oh well i was glad he was there to help us......Good fishing to all, Chris.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 23 Posts