Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry guys...I left out the important parts. I run out of VA. I would like to find some spots off the coast or a bit south???

·
Registered
563 Posts
I haven't fished for Kings out of Va., even though that is where I live. My understanding is that they can be caught at times at the Chesapeake Light Tower. However, you will do much better fishing for them out of N.C. If you are really interested in targeting them, schedule a trip to Hatteras in the late fall. The live bait bite there can be absolutely nuts. They are around Hatteras pretty much all year, it is easier to catch them when they are schooled up, but they can be caught on wrecks most anytime.

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
Where's Trax? He's the only resident "King chaser" I know :)

I caught one at the 10 fathom lump (Octobers) a couple years ago...but I know they show up on many inshore lumps based on others catching them.

Spring time in Hatteras is about as easy a bet as their is for Kings but you have to deal with the Spring weather down there which can be "fun".

Glenn

·
Premium Member
4,888 Posts
Let's take this a little further. Whats been your best bait for targeting kings? The guys I know use small red and blue spoons off a planer.

·
Registered
3,811 Posts
Last summer the hump inside the Triangle wrecks, and the hump south of the Triangle wrecks produced a lot of kings. Usually the hole off Sandbridge fishing pier will produce them. The state record was caught off of the pier a few years ago. I've never tried it, but you should be able to pick them up trolling over wrecks, like the Triangles, Hanks or Powell.

·
Registered
750 Posts
I have caught quite a few at the 26 mile hill in the 15 to 30 lb class- fast trolling zukers in the late spring while targeting tuna. in the fall i like fishing inshore anywhere from bluefish alley to the tower and inshore. I like pulling everything form red and black drones on long (30'leaders) on planers or downriggers, to chartuese (with a touch of pink) sea witches /balyhoo- strip baits w/menhaden(fresh). I have had a lot of success with this combo. again , around any wrecks are good- clam boat north of the tower has always produced for me- i had a 25# with Capn Pete summer before last slow trolling w/live menhaden on the cb line- fun stuff here but no comparison to Hatteras. peace

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Kings

is your boat on a trailer ?

if so the 21 mile hill , 26 mile hill , Sams hill , 20 fath finger or crotch hold kings the months of june & july . the run is from 21 to 35 miles from the inlet in Wachapreague on the eastern shore .

we caught some nice ones last year with the top fish at just over 22 lbs .

pull a mixed spread of planers / spoons and ceder plugs for baits . pull a size 3 or 4 planer with a 25 ft 130lb mono leader . colors of spoons chart/ silver , gold /silver , red /silver . best colors for plugs blu/wht , red/wht , black/purple and black /lime green .

rods use none smaller than 30's there is a chance you might find a bft or two on the hills in june and in july you will find one there forsure . you will also catch some big bluefish mixed in with the kings .

go get-em on your own rig or charter with someone here .

good luck Kevin

·
Registered
785 Posts
All the above is good info. Usually in the late fall we have a run of nice fish right off the beach, on the inshore wrecks and off the buoy line. Stay in the bait and you may get one. I usually troll for them but the last 2 seasons I've caught 4 fish. There was a bite off Sandbridge before we had a blow which changed everything. I've noticed that big storms with runoff in the bay has a negetive effect on the bite around here. Dropping water temps around 72 degrees with moderate NE winds in late Sept usually gets me a nice one. Be patient, nothin' like the bite out of Hatteras.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts