Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went out to do some perching today. The engine wasn't running good and I came back in. It looks like condensation in the fuel has fouled the carb:confused: Has anyone had any work done at Klien's?

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
I've never had any work done there but I know George, Denise and George's dad who runs the motor shop. He'a an older gentlemen who doesn't work fast but he's very thorough and knowledgable. He's had some health problems of late and I don't know whether he's back working in the shop or not. Call Denise on Monday 410-867-6290 and she'll let ya know if he's working. Top notch outboard mechanic and when it's finished it will be right.

·
Registered
708 Posts
You might want to swing by Advance Auto and pick up a can of Seafoam and Deep Creep. Used in combination they will do wonders on your carbs. Will also save you a bunch of money.

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
Excellent money saver

Went out to do some perching today. The engine wasn't running good and I came back in. It looks like condensation in the fuel has fouled the carb:confused: Has anyone had any work done at Klien's?
George Is a Outboard repair Icon in Deale---But only woks on Johnsons & Evenrudes, or maybe this has changed ----

·
Registered
190 Posts
George Klein

George worked on my 48hp Johnson that I use for crabbing and it gets used a lot. I don't know how long ago it's been (10 years??).He was in Shady Side then. He did a fairly major overhaul on it, since then I have only had to change the spark plugs yearly.
As Capt George said he only works on Johnson and Evinrude and rest assured the work will be done right

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Gentlemen,

Perfect...I have an Evinrude. I filled the bowl up with carb cleaner and let soak for a few hours late afternoon yesterday (no easy task). I'll put it back together and see what happens. If I'm still having problems I'll take it to Klien's. I'm glad to know their is a good mechanic so close. The last time it was in the shop was at Guy Bro.s which was quite a hike for me but they did good work.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Soggy Dog,

Here is how I used Deep Creep and Sea Foam. My Johnson Ocean Runner 90 has the fogging port on the front of the motor. I used one of the hoses that connects to the schraeder valve and the can of deep creep (I got this hose with a can of fogger). While running the motor I blasted deep creep into the fogging port until the motor stalled. After that I blasted deep creep directly into each of my carbs. let the motor sit for about 15 to 30 minutes. Then start her up and let her smoke. It will smoke for a good 15 or 20 minutes. Repeat as desired. I then dumped the Sea Foam into my fuel tank (I put two cans in for a 27 gallon tank). About once every three tanks of fuel I will add another can of sea foam.

This recipe really worked for my carbs, which were really acting up. At times I couldn't even get up on plane. Now, after this treatment, I am able to hit 45 Mph (by GPS) at full throttle 5100 RPM. Typically I cruise around 4000 RPM. The carb problem has not returned.

You results may vary. :D

Good luck.

·
Registered
985 Posts
Steve, Did you add sta-bil or something like it before you put the boat up for the winter? Just wondering if you're the first of what we'll be seeing come spring with all of the sleepy e-10 in our tanks...

BTW, good to see you on here again.

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
Just a Thought

Thanks Gentlemen,

Perfect...I have an Evinrude. I filled the bowl up with carb cleaner and let soak for a few hours late afternoon yesterday (no easy task). I'll put it back together and see what happens. If I'm still having problems I'll take it to Klien's. I'm glad to know their is a good mechanic so close. The last time it was in the shop was at Guy Bro.s which was quite a hike for me but they did good work.
--My thoughts only --As a Automotive tech. by trade , Carb cleaner is very unfriendly to gaskets & O rings & if needle & seat assy has a rubber tip , rest assure it hasent helped that---Bite the Bullet & get it fixed Professionally, Many things can create a diagnois of a problem in the fuel system, but it may be elsewhere ---As Fram says , pay now or pay later --Many Tech. are named Bill ---Big Bill ---Small Bill---Mr Kline's name is George, at least call him --geo.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi Jay,

No I didn't. But from now on I will. I added 3 gallons of fresh fuel to about 1 gallon of the old fuel. The fuel almost looked like milk. This is the first time I've had this problem. Must be the ethanol they're putting in the gas.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I got done putting what I diconnected on my motor back together before it got dark after work tonight. Called Mr. Klien, he's a real "salt of the earth" gentleman. He told me he's 70 and has had a heart problem and goes to therapy and doesn't work on anything over 25HP, which is what I have : ) He asked me if I was in a hurry to get it back. I explained my dilema, that I think bad fuel had fouled the carb and that I fish for perch this time of year which is how I discovered the problem. He told me that I'm not the only one with problems...the ethanol he said, "rots" over a couple months...so beware. He suggested adding Sta-Bil.

Made an appointment with him for Thursday. I'm going to try to fire up the motor tommorow after work. I doubt what my neighbor and I did will help but I'm crossing my fingers ; ) Think I'll have him replace the impeller also since it's there.

Thanks Again for all the Advice

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Just got my boat back from Klein's

George (didn't want me calling him Mr. Klein anymore) called me today and said she runs "wide-open" now. Problem was a clogged venturi. :D He replaced the plugs, greased everything and since it was in there had him replace the impeller.

I got it back less than one week after I brought it to him. Tomorrow would've been one week. He had to work on it outside since my jon has a counsel w/ignition, throttle etc. on it. Truthfully, I was pleasantly surprised that it didn't take that long with the weather we've been having.

Looks like I'm going out perching this weekend to make up for all HOing I do :clap:

George said bring it back if it doesn't perform. I doudt that after 40 (maybe more) some years of his experience I'll have to.

Thanks aafinest and capt.george!

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
Thanks for the update

George (didn't want me calling him Mr. Klein anymore) called me today and said she runs "wide-open" now. Problem was a clogged venturi. :D He replaced the plugs, greased everything and since it was in there had him replace the impeller.

I got it back less than one week after I brought it to him. Tomorrow would've been one week. He had to work on it outside since my jon has a counsel w/ignition, throttle etc. on it. Truthfully, I was pleasantly surprised that it didn't take that long with the weather we've been having.

Looks like I'm going out perching this weekend to make up for all HOing I do :clap:

George said bring it back if it doesn't perform. I doudt that after 40 (maybe more) some years of his experience I'll have to.

Thanks aafinest and capt.george!
---So many times problems posted have no outcome report ---George is a Icon when it comes to Johnson & Evenrude ---Hope you get lotsa enjoyment out of your boat , fishing for them Blackbacks --geo

1 - 16 of 16 Posts