Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Anyone ever tried a knocker rig for tog? (eggsinker all the way down on the knot on the hook with just a bead to protect knot)

It seems worth a try. Would probably lose a lot less weights than the classic dropper loop set up. Tog don't seem to keen on eyesight so I don't see why the weight would be a problem. I suppose it could interfere with hook set, but maybe it would clunk them in the head and keep them from diving into a hole!

·
Registered
3,466 Posts
We used this rig on snapper down in FL. I think it is also called a Carolina rig. Can't say that I've tried it on tog. It would give you direct contact with the hook with the weight sliding adding sensitivity for a light tog bite. You might hang up more. Don't know. Interesting idea, let us know if you try it.

·
Registered
33 Posts
The good thing about a dropper loop is that if your hook gets hung up you get your sinker back.If your sinker gets hung up you get your hook back.From what i know, togs do sight feed.If you are going to use the Knocker rig why not use a big jig head with a smaller hook in it?Hope this help you out........Wish you tight line and fair winds!

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
I fish with a few guys, DICK and JUNIOR (the names have been changed to protect the innocent) who use ONLY carolina rigs for Togs, and do as well, if not better, than most. One of them (DICK) even insists on a spinning rod with his carolina rig. I do not joke them because they have it dialed in very well. To each their own, I do not frown on anyone for their methods, they may know something that you don't.

On another note, instead of asking, I would have just went fishing, tried my own version of what I think might work, and go from there. You may develop something that works for you that no one else is aware of, giving you... THE EDGE. Just a thought.

Anyway, a carolina rig will work just fine, I have seed it wid me own eyes...

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys. As I understand it a Carolina rig has the sliding egg sinker on the mainline, rather than on the leader. I'm talking sinker right up against the bead which is against the knot on the hook. I was reading Salt Water Sportsman, and they use it on the reefs for yellowtailing after the snappers hide in the rocks when the sharks move in. Apparently, they don't think twice about the weight which probably looks like a rock. They get hung up a whole lot less.

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
Seems to me it would get hung more than a dropper rig since the hook is hitting rock,mussel, wreck, ect, with the sinker that carries your offering down and you were trying to hold bottom so you would be fishing your rig right on the struct....never mind......why mess with a method that works great ? Dropper rig.

·
Registered
3,466 Posts
Good comments. I think a spinning outfit gives you an advantage because you don't experience the pendulum effect you have with a revolving baitcaster reel. I know next time out I'll be using one for tog.

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
Earesponsible,
.. I am giving an in-service on togs on Monday April 18th at the Portsmouth Anglers Club. I have agreed to give the talk to the PAC because this club is where it all started for me. The meeting starts at 7pm. If you want to learn more about how this rig works (in reference to the tog) or have any further questions about tog that I could answer then please stop by. We would love to have you there.. Meetings are open to the public.. tight lines and hope to see you there:thumbup:

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Dropper Loop

Since I've learned how to catch Tog many years ago and have been successful at it I prefer the dropper loop. :thumbup:
I may not have many Tog Citations but I have caught plenty of them for the table.It is simple to make up quickly and doesn't require a lot of material.:yes:
Like was mentioned before either you save your hook or the weight at times which can then be reused.
My Thoughts.
Chuck

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
For clarification on carolina rig its usually a bullet weight fished about a foot ahead of the lizard or craw etc... it is held in place by a bead and barrel swivel. A texas rig is the more common seen version where the sliding bullet weight rests directly on the soft plastic. This allows for a better presentation in tight cover but works in similar fashion to a fish-finder rig instead of using a jig. Also allows bass anglers to create the clicking sound between hook and weight or hook, weight and bead. As far as the rig goes I couldnt tell you, still have to catch my first tog..... one of these days when I manage to find time between work and school to go fishin....

·
Registered
3,496 Posts
I also say that article in Saltwater Sportsman and thought about using it for togs.

I use a Carolina Rig alot in the surf and it seems to me that the leader and hook would get hug up a lot easier than a Knocker rig would.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
A Knocker Rig is a sinker against the hook, not a Carolina Rig, A Carolina Rig is used in Florida, but is still a Carolina Rig? Then a Carolina Rig should use bullet weights, but we're not sure if it catches Togs, probably because there is a lizard in there somewhere for bait. A Texas Rig will not catch a Tog regardless because 1) Togs despise soft plastic and 2) no Togs in Texas. A Dropper Loop is by far the best rig to use, but only with a spinning outfit, because the pendulum effect has been known to cause cancer in small rats that use conventional gear. I am now a bit confused, and fear what an "in service" is to find out. I think I'll just go fishing.

·
Registered
303 Posts
A Knocker Rig is a sinker against the hook, not a Carolina Rig, A Carolina Rig is used in Florida, but is still a Carolina Rig? Then a Carolina Rig should use bullet weights, but we're not sure if it catches Togs, probably because there is a lizard in there somewhere for bait. A Texas Rig will not catch a Tog regardless because 1) Togs despise soft plastic and 2) no Togs in Texas. A Dropper Loop is by far the best rig to use, but only with a spinning outfit, because the pendulum effect has been known to cause cancer in small rats that use conventional gear. I am now a bit confused, and fear what an "in service" is to find out. I think I'll just go fishing.
I really think You, Dick, Junior,and Center Console Clarence can clear up any questions you have by simply attending the next Portsmouth Anglers club Meeting. Problem solved!

·
Registered
34 Posts
The Owen Lupton drum rig they use in the Pamlico, NC might be something to look into. Sounds similar to what your talking about. Very short leader to the hook and a egg sinker. Im sure you can rig something similar for toggin. That rig sure does work for big Drum. Just saying...

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
Drum pick up a bait and swim off with it while munching generally , so do most fish , so a very short leader or no leader at all next to a slip sinker works well.
Not so with Tog generally, they pull a bait in and quickly crush it while stationary, so the least amount of junk/sinker/tackle between you and the Tog the better, short leader as in a dropper loop and sinker below the bait so the fish doesnt have to move it around for you to feel him take a bait, make the loop short ,3 to 4inches off the running line and you can feel it looking at it.
Im sure you could catch them with this Knocker rig as well as you can with a longer leader and a slip sinker as i have done but i dont think this Knocker thing has reinvented the wheel.
Ill stick with what works great and is simple ,cheap ,tried and works, Dropper rig.

·
Premium Member
1,804 Posts
I fish with a few guys, DICK and JUNIOR (the names have been changed to protect the innocent) who use ONLY carolina rigs for Togs, and do as well, if not better, than most. One of them (DICK) even insists on a spinning rod with his carolina rig. I do not joke them because they have it dialed in very well. To each their own, I do not frown on anyone for their methods, they may know something that you don't.

On another note, instead of asking, I would have just went fishing, tried my own version of what I think might work, and go from there. You may develop something that works for you that no one else is aware of, giving you... THE EDGE. Just a thought.

Anyway, a carolina rig will work just fine, I have seed it wid me own eyes...
LMAO... which one is Dick and which one is Junior?

·
Registered
263 Posts
A few more ???????

A few questions:

Is the dropper loop rig called a Virginia rig?

Is a Carolina rig still a Carolina rig if you use a Virginia hook?

Since they say everything is bigger in Texas (except the Redfish) is the Texas rig a bigger Carolina rig or is it smaller like their fish?

What about the other 47 US states? Don't they fish with rigs?

What size Knocker rig is best? Double "D"?

Can Tog find a fish finder rig?

:help:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts