Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a failure and a lost fish today. Hate it that there's a big fish that may die with my 'chute in its mouth. I would much rather have put both in the boat. We catch a lot of fish, but this is at least the second time it's happened. I use a Palomar on the swivel to the umbrella, easy enough. On the other end I've been using a Trilene knot, they never seem to cinch down tight/well using 60 lb. Ande. Don't use swivels to the 'chute since I've been catching more fish with knots to the 'chute. Any suggestions for a better knot? (Don't want to get into crimpers, just another thing for me to screw up) Mark

·
Premium Member
26,227 Posts
I like the Improved Clinch knot with 5 turns for 60Lb Ande. Be sure your leader spool is fresh.I buy a new 1/4 lb spool each spring and another in fall.I go through leader material fast but never have them break.

I also retie the lure knot after each big Rock and after 3-4 regular size ones.The advice about wetting the knot with spit is very good.Be sure to tighten the wet knot slowly and steady.Once tight - cut the tag end leaving about 1/4 inch.

No Rock out there should break 60 lb Ande leader.I keep my spool in a drink cozy - this pretects it from sunlight damage.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Both the above knots work well I perfer an Eye crosser knot. It cinches down real nice and is a quick tie. Make sure you wet the knot to cinch it down. Have pulled on some big grouper with knot when I lived in Florida.

·
Registered
6,708 Posts
I use a loop knot. More action and I've never had one to fail.

·
Registered
4,576 Posts
No need to get fancy with knots. A simple clinch knots work just fine. Just make sure to wet the line down well when pulling the knot tight.

·
Registered
503 Posts
A good trick is that you tie the improved clinch knot, then when finished wet your fingers holding the knot and take a bic lighter and burn the 1/4" tag end into a ball. Even if the knot gets loose the ball jams the knot. Been doing this forever and I have not had a knot fail. Best trick I know for knots.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanx for the replies

Gonna try the eye-crosser, looks easy to tie. Did some with the uni-knot last nite, but a buddy sent me a link that said on the north american fishing show that the eye-crosser was stronger.

·
Registered
3,147 Posts
I also use the Improved Clinch to lures while trolling. Check line for nicks, re tie often. What everyone else said about wetting to help it lock, if it does not look like it should retie. Pull the main line and use your thumbnail to make sure its very snug.

·
Registered
562 Posts
We use 80lb leader and crimp everything, two springs and one fall - no breaks and no lost lures
Had a couple 15-20 fish days mixed in there
We double check every leader, cut and recrimp as needed at the begining of each season
My 2 cents

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
JINKAI fishing line --- Softer and more pliable then Ande. I tried 50LB Ande and it's very stiff. If your going to use heavy Ande, use a 5 wrap improved clinch knot. I put an eyebolt in the vise and put the hook thru it and pull really hard, Just make sure the thing does come loose. I use a heavy glove and wrap the line around my hand 2-3 times.

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
We use 80lb leader and crimp everything, two springs and one fall - no breaks and no lost lures
Had a couple 15-20 fish days mixed in there
We double check every leader, cut and recrimp as needed at the begining of each season
My 2 cents
I prefer to crimp as well... but when I do not- I use the improved clinch. Easy, strong, and reliable.

·
Registered
74 Posts
If you had knot failures with Palomars, they weren't tied correctly. There are very few knots as strong as a Palomar and none of them are as simple. Palomar even works with braided line.

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
--I've said for a Big fish --A Big Fish -80# is the lower limit on leaders --Weakened line just from a knot w/o salavia. gill plate abbrasion --Angler Error always occurs after the Massive Tail is Seen --The it is a LEADER FIGHT W?O the help of a reel Drag --Just a Human with more Muscle than Brain --Fish should come with finger TIP pull --Then She's Ready --Let her run again & Again & Again ( IF YOU PLAN ON TAKING HER TO THE DOCK ) if its a H&R get her in SAP --Hold your Breath , when she's outa the water --When you need AIR she Needs WATER --Blood level etc. makes for Toxick death Sometimes days Later --If the Camera man has camera in the Bag & starts Rummaging --Release Her --NOW --geo.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts