Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what kind of knots do u guys use for larger pound test mono lines because i was having trouble tightening my standadrd wrapit 5 times then go down through the bottom loop then back though the loop you created. sorry i dont know the name

·
Premium Member
600 Posts
I Snell my hooks and Polamor knot the rest with 50lb leader. Crip 100lb leader. No problems thus far.

·
Registered
379 Posts
I always loved the old timers saying "IF you cant tie a knot then tie alot"...Crimping your heavier leaders is probly your best bet though.

Capt. Jordan
Urchinsea

·
Registered
3,091 Posts
I always loved the old timers saying "IF you cant tie a knot then tie alot"...Crimping your heavier leaders is probly your best bet though.

Capt. Jordan
Urchinsea
I agree...I tie the smaller dia line 60# & over I would crimp...Big rockfish I use 80# leader

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
Uni-knot up to and including 80 lb test mono. 80 and up crimp. You can either crimp or tie 80 for me that's kind of the dividing line. Palomar will not work well with heavy lines.

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
I tie a uni-knot for most applications. I also use the uni knot to snell my hooks as well. The uniknot can also be used to tie lines together.However,to tie braided line to a lure I use the triple palomar knot. My$0.02.;-)

·
Registered
9,443 Posts
drewman,

Take a look at this site. I could be wrong but I think most knots that you need right now will be covered here.

40# to 50# test leaders can be tied easily. Make sure you wet them down before you bring them tight.

Palomar is a great knot !

Animated Knots by Grog

Dennis:))

·
Registered
85 Posts
The larger the diameter of the line, the fewer turns you should take with that uni-knot, or so says Lefty Kreh. He's been fishing a lot more than most of us, so I believe what he says. For 10-20# mono, five or six turns. For that huge 80# stuff, 2-3 turns should be plenty, and that will let you draw it down a lot easier if you wet it first.

·
Registered
308 Posts
for 20# and under mono i use an improved clinch, anything over up to 50# i use a snell at the hook and palomar to a swivel, braid always palomar, i dont have much experience over 50# mono...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts