Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
going to Kona in march. looking for a boat to fish for marlin, ono, etc. small boats preferred, it will only be me and my wife on board. along those same lines, price is kinda an issue. just not interested in a 58' hattaras, a little bertram would be fine.

did some searches, there are lots of boats!

thanks
brett

·
Registered
132 Posts
I have fished with Captain Gene Vanderhoek on the Sea Genie. Nice rybovich- old but clean. If you want his info just google it or PM me.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I fished on the "Mariah" this past May. The captain was not the freindliest person, nor did we catch anything exciting...We did catch a very nice ono on the snorkle boat going to the Capt. Cook Memorial though!!

·
Registered
123 Posts
I second the no-go on the Maria. Captain is fairly rude. Nothing beats cranking up a peanut dolphin on an 80wide. The Capt is a retired woman's purse maker...nuff said.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I fished 2 days on the Legend with captain Hector......Super nice guy and the price was very reasonabe. Nice clean and fast 35 Cabo express. He had no problem with allowing us to work the pit and set lines.

Good Luck

"Earley Times"

·
Registered
314 Posts
Anyone know if Jeff Kirby is still fishing out of Kona? If so, I'll recommend him. Alot of fun to fish with.
Yea, I'm still here. My laptop got crushed in an "accident" & I lost all my pictures/personal info from the past 6 years. Kind of took the wind out of my sails from posting, etc....I'll be posting some reports & pictures from my last season on the reef soon.

I am on a 40 ft Egg Harbor in Kona, the Bite Me 3. There are many good options in Kona. If you want to book a trip or ask some more questions, happy to entertain all questions, etc....give me a call. remember, we are 5 hours behind east coast time, so don't call me before 12 noon east coast time.
Thanks,
Jeff cell 443.562.9628

there is an online daily catch report from Kona.

Catch Report - Honokohau Marina, Kona Hawaii

·
Registered
101 Posts
Jeff,

Glad to see you are not too good for these east cost sites.

Shoot Straight- Jeff is a personal friend. He calls me every day, just to ruin my day, with the catch of the day. This past week they landed a 491LB. Jeff works hard to catch fish. Give him a call he will talk straight with you.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Kona Charter

Brett,

I fished with captain Pete Hoogs on the "PAMELA". I believe it is a 37'-38' Bertram. Wanted to catch some Blues. Pete put us on them. We ended up going 2 for 3. Here is a link for his boat. I believe his sons are involved in the business now.

Kona Charter Skippers Association

Kelly "JUGGERNAUT"

·
Registered
180 Posts
I finsed on the "DOJO" with Capt. Ryan Foster...he's a local Hawaiin that knows how to fish. I had good luck with him, he was recommended from a friend of mine that lives there. he has a 40' Post, a really nice set up. PM me if you want his number.

·
Registered
25 Posts
The PAMELA with Captain Peter Hoogs and son Teddy is the way to go. I fished with them for 3 days and we had a great time and caught plenty. These guys are fisherman and have won many tournaments. I have Peter's email if you'd like it. Just shoot me a PM.

Phil

1 - 11 of 11 Posts