Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After my CBBT trip on December 18-21, I reported our fortune of being out as a wicked cold front moved in and a bite to remember turned on. In the pouring rain, we were slaying quality fish - lots of unders, plenty of slots, and several overs. Due to the conditions we had limited boat manuverability, and lost a number of what had to be giants to the pilings.

In the middle of the gannet storm, I couldn't help but break out my topwater outfit - which in this case involved a through-wired lonely angler zipster (spook-style walk the dog bait). I landed dozens of fish on top, including multiple slot fish, and had hundreds of fish rolling on my lure or taking a smack at it. At one point, I believe I had two fish on the same lure -- one on each hook -- and the lure failed... the back 1/4 inch or so was ripped completely off (no hook, no split ring, no wire, and some missing plastic). You can see the retired plug (and the fish we were catching) in this pic here:

At the time, I reported this mostly to show how hot the fishing was, not as a complaint about the lure failing, and promptly replaced my lonely angler plug during a trip to Marty's the next week.

Much to my amazement, I received an unsolicited package in the mail yesterday from the folks at Lonely Angler with multiple replacement plugs and a short note thanking me for my business. :clapping2::clapping2::clapping2:

Gotta say, that's a stand up company right there! :thumbup:

·
Registered
4,866 Posts
Yea, gotta love their lures. The largest pencil popper is my favorite. So easy to use and so easy to "Walk". #1 big fish lure at the flats.

Compliments of Walleye pete at one of his presentations after I kept bugging him about it but I've also ordered from them and received my lures in no time.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Come on now Josh.

You had your opportunity.
You had the fish on top.
If there has ever been a better opportunity to take big fish on the fly rod, I don't know what it is.
In those conditions, low light, broken or choppy surface and aggressive fish on top, those fish will be more forgiving than ever regarding presentation and heavy leaders.
I wish your report had told a story (even if you had to make one up) of one of those pigs on s 9 weight.

GScott

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
But I only own a 5 weight trout rod. But if you want to send me an 8 or 9 weight flyrod, I'd be glad to give it a whirl next time I find myself in those conditions.

There was another boat out there that morning with a guy throwing the long rod... and he was doing very well. It was a VERY windy day to throw flies, though. Small craft advisory changing into gale warning.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts