Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are starting to look for a lab and are leaning towards an American Lab.

We want something that is a family dog, but I also want to train it for duck and goose hunting.

We found one breeder in VA whose asking price is in the 1500-2K range.

The sire and dam's are of champion blood lines, but I have no intention of breeding my pup. The hunting awards were noteable, but do I really need that?

Seems like a lot of money for a pup.

Am I suffering from sticker shock or can I get find a good pup for under 600?

Can anyone suggest some breeders? I thin we'd like to fine a breeder who has pups throughout the year, rather than the occassional litter.

Thanks.

·
Registered
537 Posts
My Lab is not only the best house dog I have ever had but also the best hunter I had ever hunted with. I bought him from a breeder in Mardela Springs, Maryland named by the name of Dishroom, wish I had more information but he is 11 yo. You may have to drive to the shore but a local advertising paper named The Guide is a good resource for Delmarva bred dogs and the price will not be so high. The link is http://www.theguide.com/ go to the classified section and check out pets and supplies there is about 10 listings for labs. Good luck.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Got my Chocolate Lab from Mateer labs in PA just North of Pittsburg. $700 for the best framily / neighborhood dog I've ever owned. Don't hunt anymore so I can't comment on field performance. Can't keep him out of the water. Mateer has black and yellows as well.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Don F. Coleman
1326 Dexter Corner Rd
Townsend, DE 19734
(302) 659 - 0327

My Lab has been a great house pet and superb in the field. Great Pedigree with plenty of field champions (FC, AFC, CFC, CAFC, and NFC) in the blood lines. i think i paid around $600.00

·
Registered
167 Posts
Just look in the paper and do your homework . I bought my lab from a family on eastern shore. I paid 600.00 for him and come to find out, his blood lines are great. His father and grand father were champs. I don't know all that **** for the trials but they were something good. just look around

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
yep, don't pay 2k. That's high powered field trial stock, or a rip-off, or both. If you want a good hunting dog, you should expect to pay around $500, give or take. Make sure you check out the parents, and like their behavior, build, and hunting ability. Hunt over them if possible. The best way to pick a pup seems to be to pick the parents..and wait for the litter.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
I find the best way to pick a pup is to let the pup pick you. look for one that likes to be with you the most, and seems to benefit from the attention. Now you have a trainable puppy that wants to please you.

I would stay away from the American's that are bred for field trials or from field trial parents unless you want a high energy, crazy dog.

I have owned several Americans, and have completely switched to English. Much calmer in the house, and make great field companions. Unless you are trying to win a field Championship, you don't need the high energy dogs...just my .02...I'm sure others will disagree

oh yea...$1500 is ridiculous. $600 at best is all you need to pay for a fine dog with good lines

·
Registered
52 Posts
That is why you should do your research each dog has it's own trait. English tend to be stocker shorter legged and calmer. The American tend to be leaner, faster and more high strung, both are ready to please.

But all make great house dogs!, and companions!, and hunters!

The main thing I would do is check the parents out I mean watch them at the house or the ***** if he used a stud service! Watch the parent workout or both parents with their owners, ask for references. See how the react with other people.

And yes sometime the puppy picks you and something just clicks between you and a puppy. Always ask the breeder too! they have seen the puppy traits for 7 weeks the know them all!

Yes you can buy some good dogs for 200 and up, but beware sometimes they won't stand by the sale for hips and genetic defects. A good breeder might charge more but you know you're getting a good sound dog!most will guarntee the dog for 18 months. Most breeders will have their dew claws and shots and some have a micro chip before you pick them up.

When you pick up your puppy make sure you get the shot record and medical record when you pick up your dog.

Having a dog is worse the having a child, the only difference is the dog gives you uncontional love foever and is always trying to please you!

enough said

·
Registered
317 Posts
http://www.kingsransomlabs.com/

Agree, $ 1,500 - 2k is too much for a 8 wk old pup you should be able to find $ 700 - $ 1,000 from a rep. breeder with good lines.

Just picked up my yellow pup from Bernadette on Sun. from Camden, S.C. She breeds great looking English looking labs with AKC MH in the lines. I have a yellow AKC MH & NHRA Senior who is 13 yrs. old now and my breeder recommended her. She is very active in the AKC hunting trials, training judging etc. and will be able to steer you towards a great looking, hunting & family dog if that is what you are looking for.

Russ
send me a B-mail if you need any more info.

"Lance" 8 1/2 wks. old

·
Registered
986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks guys,

Phil, I believe my wife has been in contact with you (and apparently everyone else in the dog world). We've pretty much choosen the breeder and will pick the puppu in the coming weeks. There available for pick up in late September.

Yes, 1500 seemed like a lot of money for a dog I had no intention on breeding.

The main thing I am looking for now is a good book to train him with. My last lab was not trained for hunting as I wasn't into the ducks and geese at that time.

I did train my last lab well though. She was great with audio and visual commands. My /our downfall was that I introduced her to firearms incorrectly early in her life and made her gun shy. Several years later, I started to duck hunt and although she had great talent and the potential to retreive birds, I never tried to train her as she was older and gun shy.

I'm aiming to do it correctly this time.

Thanks.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Water Dog, 15 Minute Retriever are great, and of the books u can buy are pretty good. The dog can start learning the day you get it and remember this the more training you do with you dog the better hunting companion you'll have. ALot of people have great dogs that have an emnorimous amount of drive and ability that have never been trained . throwing dead birds and retireving is a start to a finish gun dog. A finished gun dog is a sight to be hold a gentle dog in the bilnd or boat goes on command and and listens to you and others. I 've seen some great ones that have never had any formal trail or hunt test training that would do very well in them and seen others that said thier dog was trained and the sound of the first gun the dog is air born in the water starting to retrieve on his own. Guys it is all what you want out of your dog and what level of training you want out of your dog, and how much time or money you put into your dog. Some people like having their dog trained I have no problem with that. I enjoy the trainng and time with my dogs and showing them at hunt test and trails, the utmost I enjoy is having them alongside me in the blind on the river or bay with the morning sun rising and the sound of wings whistling over head, just me and my 4 legged freinds. I love it!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.