Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone on here fish Lake Anna ? Some friends and family want to get a cabin for the weekend around mid march and I was reading that it had a decent crappie and walleye bite that time of year ? The cabin there looking at has a dock for the boat too.Thanks for any replies. Dan

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Actually i'm not sure , I guess it would help if I said where the cabin was on the lake so I will check it out and report back. Thanks.

·
Registered
8,065 Posts
Lake Anna is a 9,600-acre impoundment located in Louisa, Orange, and Spotsylvania counties, owned by the Dominion Power Company. The impoundment was completed in 1972 and serves as cooling water for the North Anna Nuclear Power Station. Initial stockings began in 1972, with introductions of largemouth bass, bluegill, redear sunfish, and channel catfish. Subsequent stockings of channel catfish, largemouth bass (northern and southern strains), redear, striped bass, and walleye were made to improve and diversify the fishery. Blueback herring and threadfin shad were successfully introduced in the 1980's to provide additional forage for pelagic (open-water) predators. Annual stockings of striped bass and walleye continue in order to maintain these fisheries (other species are self sustaining).

Prior to 1985, largemouth bass were managed with a 12-inch size limit (five per day). That minimum was changed to a 12 to 15 inch protected slot in 1985 in an effort to help restructure the largemouth bass population. In recent years, as the popularity of catch-and-release bass fishing became prevalent, creel data indicated over 99% of bass caught at Anna were released. Thus, the need for any type of restrictive harvest restriction is moot, and the slot was dropped on July 1, 2006. Striped bass are currently managed under a 20-inch minimum size limit and a creel limit of four per day.

Lake Anna is a reasonable drive from both Northern Virginia and the Richmond area. Outdoorsmen can access Lake Anna at many private marinas, several campgrounds, and at Lake Anna State Park. Reservoir accessibility creates heavy use by both anglers and boaters, especially during summer months. A 2000 creel survey indicated that fishing pressure was around 24 hours/acre. The most popular species fished for included largemouth bass (69%), striped bass (15%), and crappie (12%). Crappie (70%) were harvested at the highest rate, followed by striped bass (29%) and largemouth bass (1%). A creel survey was conducted in 2005, but data have not been analyzed yet.

Hydrilla vertricillata, an exotic aquatic weed, became established into Lake Anna during the late 1980's. Abundance increased from 96 acres in 1990 to 832 acres in 1994. Triploid (sterile) grass carp were stocked into Virginia Power's Waste Heat Treatment Facility in 1994 to control Hydrilla, and Hydrilla abundance is now quite low in both impoundments (some escapement to the main lake side occurred). Grass carp are still alive from that stocking, but their numbers are declining. Most grass carp remaining are now over three feet long.

http://www.dgif.state.va.us/fishing/waterbodies/display.asp?id=11

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Racn , I did check that out yesterday but put it on here to see if anyone actually fished it in march. Have you ever tried that lake ? I know your like me and like to fish ALOT ! Lol Thanks again guys

·
Registered
241 Posts
We've pulled an asspile of channel cats out of there in July in August, unfortunately those are the only months I've fished it.

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
I've usually fished it in the fall for stripers. Its crowded in the summertime. The hot and cold side are 2 different lakes really. The hot side is smaller and private. Its good in the winter and early Spring. I only fished there a few times several years ago. That was for LMB. Good luck and let us know how you do.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm heading out to the lake tomorrow for the weekend looks like I picked a great weekend for a cold front to come thur and alot of wind, lol Oh well going to give it a shot thur , fri & sat. the cabin is off of hemlock lane if anyone knows where that is ? When I get close it says take kentucky springs to pine harbor to hemlock coming off of courthouse road.Probably just try for anything that bites , bass , crappie , channels... I will post if I do any good. Dan

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I'm cool!
1,292 Posts
They are slaying the crappie and striper right now. Guide Jim Hemby has a great blog on his daily striper catches - this guy shares a lot of his techniques and where he's finding fish if you read through his posts. Lake Anna Striper Guide Journal

Your place is towards the back of Contrary Creek, a pretty big cove. I bet you can hunt down some crappie in there. Read Jim's guide for striper locations. Good luck and let us know how you do.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I'm glad to see a little talk on here about Lake Anna. I've been fishing it for about eight years. Jim Hemby is a great guy - he also posts a fishing report at Virginia Outdoors - Lake Anna.

The easiest crappie fishing is around the bridges, but the bridges will probably be fished heavily this weekend. Contrary is a great area - you could fish all weekend in that one cove. I'd try trolling a couple crappie jigs and casting a spinnerbait or jerbait for bass. Honestly, I never catch big numbers of LMB this time of year, but the ones I do catch are often nice. Jim says the striper fishing is great right now. I'll be there tomorrow afternoon/evening. Good luck!

·
Registered
471 Posts
Bought a house about 20 minutes from Lake Anna, I do not have a boat but have checked out the public fishing area on dike 3. Can anyone tell me about what to expect if I go fishing there. Normally I havent seen that many guys fishing, but didnt know if this is a good place to fish for stripers or LMB because of the current there.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Dike 3 is the warmwater flow from the hot side (reactor cooling pond) to the cold side (public side) of lake anna. There are always fish around Dike 3 - especially in the winter. The stripers tend to be smallish, but they are plentiful. It attracts some of the few walleye on the lake also. So, it's a great striper spot during the cool weather months (at least if you're into quantity over quality) and all of the other species, including LMB hang out around there most of the year. It's definitely worth a try.

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I'm cool!
1,292 Posts
BassPro35 - I've tried fishing that dike 3 outflow a few times and never caught anything. I have seen others offer similar recommendations as yours but am surprised I don't see more boats fishing it when I go over there. In fact, I've only seen a couple and they usually make a single pass and take off again. How do you fish it? In the past I let the outflow move my boat and jig with spoons or plastics, sometimes casting to move my lure in/out of the moving water stream. I've yet to drift any live bait through there. How likely am I to net some herring or threadfins if I toss my castnet near the outflow?

·
Registered
30 Posts
I've only fished it from a boat. Casting shad assassins while drifting with the outflow has resulted in some stripers and a couple of LMB. I've always been targeting stripers and I'm basically a one-trick pony when it comes to striper fishing. I think boaters feel like they can cover it quickly and if they don't catch much on the first drift or two, they just take off because they have so many options. It may be more of a fallback for boaters when they can't find bait or fish elsewhere. As a bank angler, I think you can be sure that there are always some fish around, so it's worth a try.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts