Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Santa brought me a new toy, so I didn't waste any time putting it together. I rediscovered my fiberglass flyrods after breaking my favorite 7'/ 3wt graphite on a smallmouth bass, so I started researching what was available in modern glass rods. This is a Lamiglas 7'/ 3wt fiberglass that I'm pairing up with a vintage brass click-drag skeleton fly reel loaded with a DT3F line. Finished weight for the rod is just under 3 oz.

Wood Hardwood Musical instrument Wood stain Musical instrument accessory

Wind instrument Musical instrument Wood Auto part Gas

Wood Tool Hand tool Metalworking hand tool Table

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Pretty work. How does a glass rod cast vs on made with modern materials? I remember fiberglass rods to be really whippy compared to graphite ones (my experience is with spinning and conventional rods), which would be good if that is the action you're going for.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They're definitely slower, but that's what I was looking for. I built it for small streams and short casts, maybe a couple of feet of line and 10- 12 feet of leader sticking out and accurate casts with tiny flies. When I started fly fishing, glass and bamboo were your only choices, so I still prefer the slow to moderate actions.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.