Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was woundering what people are paying these days to rent land to hunt on.We are paying $4 an acre now on ~1500 acres but I have seen it go for $10 an acre on 100 acres.
What is the going price where you hunt?
It used to be the rent payed the taxes but at $4,it pays not quite 1/2 the taxes.

·
Registered
189 Posts
TailChaser, that was the worst numbers you could have posted to Sea-Ya. Ya got to know the whole story.....Sea-Ya is the Primary Land Owner/ Self Appointed President of the hunt club. So can you say Conflict of Interest ? Landowner needs to decide what the price is an what land he is going to lease....Club members will decide w/o input of landowners if the budget is
"do-able". Simple process... Outside opinions are always welcome and encouraged..

·
Registered
189 Posts
Sea-Ya, I commend you for the post I think this is a great place to get feedback on the subject. Actually, we can probally clear up a few issues here on the subject of club hunting. My post was only to offer an additional side of the subject, which may create some good positive feedback....

Off the subject.....Congratulate me..I am now a subscriber to the board [excited]

·
Registered
317 Posts
I'm in the process of setting up a lease on a Family farm in N.C. for the simple reason of avoiding other family members giving permission to Tom, Dick and Harry to hunt in areas where I've spent time doing stand prep. etc. In this case, what equates to a few $ / acre to cover the taxes + doing normal maintenance on the farm house etc. is enough assuming that additional income is raised by farming or leasing the farming rights on the property as well.

In addition, a club I belong to in Halifax, N.C. w/ 60 members is loosing about 75% of the land to the N.C. Wildlife dept. Jan. 06. Consequently, we are attempting to lease land in the surrounding area and even with the backing of 60 people it has been our experience that leasing hunting rights in this area has become very, very expensive. Problem w/ larger clubs is you have 60 different opinions about how things should be done & it always seems that a few that do their homework scouting, stand prep. etc. get screwed by another members who take advantage of the situation when you're not around or educate the deer by hunting a stand when the wind is wrong.

Jeff knows what adjoining properties hunting rights are worth and if he can double or triple his hunting lease income then more power to him. If he wants to keep it w/ friends and at least cover the taxes then that's his decision as well I'm not telling him something he doesn't already know. Of course, the above scenarios are for still hunting only and while I don't have any experience w/ dog hunting, if that's your fancy, then my guess is that a higher acre / hunter land accessibility would be needed to make it worthwhile. @ that point it may become cost prohibitive to dog hunt if you're actually paying for hunting rights on the land your dogs are hunting.

Jeff, I don't know if you're hunting your dogs on this piece of property but, certainly paying a high $ for 1,500 acres where your only piece and quiet is during bow & muzzle loading season and you know is run with dogs during gun season would be foolish in my book. IMO, if you were to offer property for " Still hunting Only " and made the land hunter friendly w/ a management program, food plots, good cover, H2O, box stands and natural barriers that allow for additional hunters / acre you could most likely find hunters willing to pay $ 10 / acre + and pocket the additional $ 9,000 + / year vs. what you are getting now.

Russ

·
Registered
189 Posts
Tailchaser, Thank you for your input. Our situation consist of the fact that Jeff, his dad and brother have purchased the majority of the land we used to lease. They want to keep membership of the "club" as low as possible as so not to have to compete with anyone for hunting locations, but on the other hand they want the money contributed by others to pay for the nescesities like dog food for the year, electricity for the club house area, and of course land rental plus many other items that do add up very quickly. The problem some (me included) is that the price is going to go up and restrictions are going to be placed on where paying members can go and when and as far as the "Gentlemans Agreement" goes for staying away from others hunting locations that is out...because they own the land and can hunt anywhere they want....here inlies the conflict of interest.....Jeff is really trying to resolve this fairly and I think posting here could be a benefit to us all. I will say that we had rented some land for many years and when it changed hands the owner told us that he did not want us hunting on certain days that totaled up to about 8 days he chose....in return he did not raise the price he did not take any money from us at all and we did that again this year....that is being fair....and he has never once said if I didn't buy this land you would have lost it....and I had to mortgage my house to buy this land so you could hunt....I am sure that a guy that buys that quantity of land knows in advance if he can afford the taxes or not and doesn't care about (to him) the chump change. As I have said before to Jeff, the members don't care about "your land investment" they are only concerned in the hunting rights, hunting quality. I know this sound harsh to some but that is really how it is. It would not matter to most if every tree on the property died and reduced to saw dust and your 20 year dream of selling the timber to pay off your note is now a cutover of rotted wood as long as the hunting is good and the deer hang around and we had a place to hunt.

·
Registered
301 Posts
jeff we pay $4 on 1500 acres and $5 on 150acres you know where we hunt.
we do have quality mix of land thinned pines,cutovers, 5 to 6 year old pines, mature hard woods, food plots, and harvest some quality bucks every year.
we have 12 members and like it small also. most people think this is high priced, but we have a place to hunt. and all members are allowed to hunt where they wish to with no restrictions except for the size of the buck they can kill, NO SMALL BUCKS or a fine is paid by the offender, we do have an agreement about not using other members stands during bow and ML season without prior premission from stand owner.

i expect that price to go up next year after the tax increases in the area. but it will not be a drastic increase overall.
you'll have bought all the land up now ???[grin]

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the replies.
And yes, when the land comes up for sale you have been hunting for years and if you didn't buy it but Tom,Dick and Harry did and you could no longer hunt it,Dang right I can do and hunt where I want after refinacing my house.
It has come down to in the last few years where if you don't own it ,you don't hunt it.
All the land in our area is privately owned now where 10 years ago it was Gray lumber,John Hancock,Wachovia.sp?, Continental Can ect.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
as secretary of a club that leases 4000 acres each year I can see both sides of this conflict . let me say this , on some of our tracts we negotiate leases 3 years at a time with the rate locked in for the three year time period . I think the going rate is 7.50 per acre for most of our land right now . we have some tracts that are higher and some lower down to 5 $ or less per acre . all the roads are maintained by us and are inspected each year by the owners to make sure we are taking care of them correctly . for your problem I would raise the lease to pay the taxes , with the land owner not paying a share at all . before you get upset we have a tract we do this with now . the guy owns 300 acres and has a dozer , loader , & trucks to haul dirt for the rest of the property . he can hunt all of our property as a full member anytime he wants . on his lease we also pay extra for hime to take care of his roads . this is expensive ,but it is fair to both parties . sorry if i did not answer what you wanted to see .

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The rds are a good point. They had been neglected over the last years because of not knowing you'll have it next year.Didn't want to fix them knowing you may not have it next year.
The club payed no rent this year instead put ~$5000 in materal ,sand/rocks,on the rds while three of use did all the work with tractors.You are right though saying the club should take care of the rds not the land owner.
I worked all last summer with no extra pay for time,diesel and gas fixing rds.
Some people that don't own land just don't get it.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Good Morning Jeff, As I have stated before all your hard work and commitment to the work is appreciated and I am sure if I and some others could spend that much time there we would. I know on my part there is a sense of pride and admiration for the land...we have never hunted anywhere else...we grew up there. I think that you and Zane need to find a $ fiqure and decide what land your want to share and present it. And as far as conduct is concerned you guys are going to have to try and do the same as others the rule apply to all..only when they change mid-game is when we start to have problems. NO ONE and I mean NO ONE is going to sit back and let you guys run over us after and hunt our stands no more than you would I dont care if your Donald Trump. Just come to grips with that you cannot hunt everywhere and someone may kill a bigger deer than you and someone may have a better spot than you (at the time) try and relax and not worry about "Getting what's yours" and reflect on one of those Saturdays when we are having a good time shooting , laughing and high five'n Your efforts brought this joy to people and seeing the results should be all the payoff anyone could ever want. Like this past Sat when Josh got his first 2 deer....you were is excited as he was. Now ask yourself wouldn't that be nice to do that every week...to have that feeling....putting aside all the BS and worry about money. Dang right things go a lot smoother when folks are smiling than when everyone is pissed off. Thanks again for the responses....

·
Registered
4 Posts
We pay 4 dollars and 4.50 per acre but we have leased it for over 20 years and the prices are set now for 10 years at a time. We do all the roads posting and such. Land is hard to come by. Plus as a club we own 1900 acres but are club has been in existence for over 40 years. Being a dogowner we dont get any special priveleges or feed or such we just like to hunt but feeding over 40 dogs is pricey

·
Registered
243 Posts
I am a member of Clarkton Hunt Club in a Halifax Va and we are leasing about 3300 acres at I think 5.72$ a acre for the this year and next from Mead corp. We have another 3000 acres belonging to the club members and local land owners we can hunt also. I think we have around 60 members and dues are 350 a year. We gave up one 480 acre track to save some money and that was a mistake. There is a waiting list for all the tracks we have but we get 1st dibs. We use to hunt all this land and more for a stinking 5 $ permit and then our club dues were 35 a year. That was 15 to 20 years ago.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hmmmmmmm. Sounds like some issues there. At my club we can only Hunt the LEASED PROPERTY during the bow seasons and muzzleloading seasons. General firearm season we can hunt all property the club has. This is a well established club and we do hunt with hounds during the shotgun season.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
I for one would not pay to hunt if I was restricted from hunting other peoples spots, either lease the land to the club or not.

In my club we have zero isuues. We hunt around 2000 acres for zero dollars, all landowner permission. We have no club president and all hunt where we want. We have work days that everyone must attend or make up on another day. We have only two rules.

1. Let the little bucks go and they will get bigger

2. Have fun

My advice is to try and keep it as simple as possible and you will avoid these issues.

Jeff

As the landowner you must assume some of the responsibilities yourself. From what I can see the way things are going your club is not gonna last. You should have gone over these issues with the club members before you purchased the land and not try and change things after the fact.

DEAN

·
Registered
189 Posts
As a long standing member of said club in question. I must now refrain from making anymore comments about this post. In doing so I have put my placement as "member" in jeapordy and by giving my opinion and another angle to the story. The current administration is how can I say.....not willing to listen to reason...and has reduced this discussion to a "childish namecalling" argument. With that being said...Good Night and may GOD BLESS AMERICA !!!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.