Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hit 3 nice fish last Saturday 41, 38.5, and a 38 so I had high hopes that they may still be around.....

My buddy and I hit the water a little late (7:30am) but had the whole 11 rod spread (still with 9" shads) all out by 8am as I approached 84 from the East.

TONS of bait at the 45'-60' area at the surface...splashing and churning the surface...I thought to myself "here we go, this is gonna be fast...2 nice big fish and done". Didn't happen...nothing. Found only a handful of boats on the Western edge side and heard a few TFers on the radio (MLAG & Hookin Up).

Went East and West across the channel and into about 45' on both sides for a while and decided to start working our way south.
Got to within site of the CR bouy then started North again. It was now noon and we had had a couple of small taps that didn't hook up but nothing so far. Decided to start cleaning the spread which was out between 85' to 40' back off the boards. Found a tail bitten off one of the shads....:eek2: (Blues already). Hoped that was not a sign of things to come.

FINALLY around noon we had our first hook up. A fat little 31" on an chart umbrella rig 85' back off the board in 55' of water. Didn't break the rubber band but we finally got him loose and brought him in. OK things are starting to look up..one more over and we will call it a day.

Then we got into a boat driving marathon....5hrs of trolling with no strikes...another bitten off tail and a small rain storm. We had worked our way back north and had barley even seen a boat all day.

At 5pm we decided to take one more pass across the channel and back and call it a season. As I approached Green 83 from the East in 55' of water we saw a rod slightly thumping.....a second check and yep...FISH ON!. We quickly got it to the boat to find a 27.75" (an under). So now we started thinking hey we could catch 2 more. Yeah right...took us 8hrs to catch these 2 :hysterical:

We circled the area behind 83 in about 45' of water when another fish one...again not breaking the rubber band and us checking the rod several times to make sure we actually had a fish. Yep, fish #3.....got it into the boat to find a fat little 24" (another under). Tried for about another 45 minutes to find another one but i wasn't to be. After along day on the water we were ready to call it a day and an end to trophy season.

So are 10+hrs of trolling we had 3 fish and 2 bitten off tails to show for it. 31", 27.75", and a 24". LONG DAY!!!!

I heard on the radio of others catching a few but only heard 1 fish over 32". Most were in the 22-30" range. Sounds like the majority of the fish were in the 35' - 55' of water area's.

Very strange ......2 of our three fish still had sea lice on them and we had the little grey pills bugs on the deck. Weird that they were still around..I guess the lack of rain has the bay a little saltier than normal...that would also explain the Blues being here so early this year too.

Anyway...trolling rods, lures, and boards were all loaded into the truck not to be seen again till next April.
Had a good year this year catching about 30+ trophy fish and 7-8 over the 40" mark with the biggest being a nice 44".

Taking a month off then back after them for some bottom fishing & live lining.

Tight Lines

Attachments

·
Registered
166 Posts
Nice work! We trolled Sat off Annapolis and landed a feisty 27" while putting the rods out.. Figured it was gonna be a quick morning.. Nope, trolled until 12pm and not another bite. Chummed 1/2 mile south of BB yesterday and got 5 keepers 20-25" and probably 12 under 20's that went back. All in all a good weekend!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts