Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Left Wed. 12-3 with my buddy Mark (fishlesswonder) checked into the Kiptopke Inn.

Got a call from Capt. Chuck shortly after. We went and met him and Capt. Tom Hughes for dinner. We went and checked out a new place, I think it was J.H. West's. Going south towards the Kiptopke Inn, take a right at the Citgo station go down about 200 yards on your left. It is hooked up with a big seafood wholesale place. Everyone enjoyed their dinners. The most expensive thing was about 19 bucks..Waterman's platter (huge!) Fish, scallops, shrimp, oysters, soft shell crab..etc..+ 2 sides.

Anyways, got up in the a.m. Stingrays for breakfast. Met all at 6 a.m. when they open. After about 6:20, standing in the cold, blew that off. Back to J.H. Hunt's for a great breakfast..no waiting.

Got to the boat, didn't know what we were fishing on. The "Sarah J" is a schweet 36' Twin Vee:

Got out of Cape Charles. We were greeted with 3-4 footers, and an occasional 5 footer. 15-20 knots outta the SW. The look out of the windshield was like this for most of the day:

We stayed close in. Capt. Chuck started to set out the lines and explain to us how eeling was done (with B.F.G. Boobers, of course):

The 1st drift brought in 3 fish. We missed 2 other hook ups. They have a slot down there 28-34", you are allowed one over and one under. Mark hooked up first, 36" in the box:

I nailed a slot fish, and then Mark had a 34.5" (put it back over, huntin' fer Bubba).

2nd drift...one slot, one 35"..back into the drink.

3rd drift..I had a good one on, fought like heck. Reel screamin' fun. It gave a lot of greif to the Shimano 4500BR on a 6'6" MH Ugly Stick. It took a while, got it close, it dove under the boat. Got it up, it ran around the other side, had to watch the props. Get it to the net, Mark got it in just as I saw the eel and hook go "sproing into space". It had popped outta the fish's mouth just as the 39" fat one hit net bottom, and a big 5' wave hit us from the other side. Mark, Me and the fish almost into the drink.

4th drift...Mark gets a good one on. He fights it for about 5 minutes. Capt. Chuck and I are doing the "rod dance" around him. He gets it close, it dives right under the boat, then..nothing. Can't figger out what happened to that one, all the gear was intact. Pullage:

I think that some of these bigger Rock "inhale the eel" past the hook onto the leader. You are "fish on" for a while. They feel the resistance, without hookin' up, and then go "patooey"..spit it. First time either of us used Circle hooks. Just a guess.

Pulled them in as the wind started to pick up..haha...we got beat all morning. Luckily, that Twin Vee handles rough seas well...great boat.

We had a blast with Capt. Chuck. Look forward to fishing with him again.

Tight lines,
Jim

P.S. if any of y'all know how to convert a .mov file to .jpg without loss of a lot detail (see my pic), please let me know. When Mark took my pic, camera somehow was on video mode. I'd like a better pic than I have. Thank you

·
Registered
13,937 Posts
Hey Jim, Glad to hear you are getting away and going fishing! Glad you three didn't go swimming. That would feel about as bad as a rock would in the cooler! No guilt:D.. Gary

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
Great report Jim. Sounds like a super trip. ....Don

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
Sounds like a blast Jim. Glad you guys had a great trip. PS>>>>>kind of cheating with a windshield......don't ya think?..........................Mark

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
Good report Jim and pictures felt like I was almost there except for the 4-5 footers, frozen winds and pride of catching some big fish. Spent the day at the Bel Air Chrsitmas parade walking into gale gust winds

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Crabby..Gary...Yes, it would have been a little cold swimming out there.

Zilla..Mark...Thanks, hopefully there is some water under the boat today.

Ddrichitt..Don...Yes, it was fun.

Seasider...thanks for the correction.

Mlag..Mark..Windshield,,,cheating? Capt. Chuck treats his Ho's nicely. Unlike some others that don't mind soaking their Ho's in frigid Bay water:rolleyes:

Aik..John...I don't do anything outside when it is cold, 'cept fish.

Jim

1 - 8 of 8 Posts