Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
During this late point in the season, is there anything you can do to increase your odds of attacting more deer to you, i.e. grunting, doe bleat, scents, rattling or is it too late for that stuff b/c the main rut is over? I am heading out this weekend and am new to this.

Thanks,
Ed

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
10-4 on the bedding area's....also this time of year they are slaves to their stomachs even more so than normal. Find a late season food source like an unharvested corn feild, or anything that's still green like clover....or create your own buy putting corn out. Also lot's or their normal cover they felt comfortable in is gone so any thicker area's may be good too.

As far as calling goes, it may/will work but don't count on it being your go too tactic.

·
Registered
185 Posts
One of the largest factors here in Va. east of the Blue Ridge is that hunting with hounds is full swing and your chance to hunt a deer by normal instinctive efforts is slim to none. There are areas that have been untouched by man & beast and I would focus my efforts there--Or go out and enjoy the fresh air and wait for one to come along..that's how we use to do it back in the day.
Enjoy.

·
Registered
887 Posts
I am going to focus on hunting some standing corn tomorrow. If you have a food plot which is green such as clover, winter grain etc that would be the ticket. Hunt at first light and again in the evening. At some point the second rut will come in and activity will increase again. Doing man drives during the day is effective but less sporty than stand hunting. Good hunting.

·
Registered
678 Posts
remember, every 28 days those dow that did not get knocked up in the first cycle will come back into heat again, now this makes for some serious fun because now instead of 50 doe in the area being in heat there will only be a few... The bucks are stuffing their bellies but when they catch wind of a doe in estrose they will seek it out..... Doe in heat sent and some light rattling work well....
If all else fails quiet pushes with a few buddies will usually produce....[excited]

·
Registered
253 Posts
I went home in Nov to do some deer hunting at my dads place up in CT. In a week I saw a lot of nice deer that were as usual just over that stone wall that seperated me from getting a nice buck. This was one of the weirdest seasons I have seen to date. I have hunted my dads every years since I was 5 ( not shooting one til I was ten) and every year 5 Nov was the begining of the peak of the rut. This year was different for some reason. Of all of the nice shooter bucks that I saw that were over the wall I tried a variety of different calls on them as I have in the past. I grunted, bleated, tried can calls and rattled. The only deer that responded was the one little buck that I shot on my last hunting morning and he still didn't come in all the way ( close enough for govt work [smile]) Calling only works in certain situations. It all boils down to right place right time after scouting and setting up.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Agree with find the food source and I would add find any open grass about 100 yards from the food and start there. Last trip out this resulted in me seeing 3 bucks and four does and I got the 7 pointer. Keep the wind in your face and the food plot behind you and you are stacking the deck.

Feeshon

·
Registered
196 Posts
In my experiences late season is tough. The deer that are left have been hunted hard unless your in a rare unhunted area. Good advice already. Deer tend to avoid the open fields till dark. I've had luck baiting near a bedding areas and all my action has been right before dark in the evening. Not much action in the mornin. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
[Q]frayedknot originally wrote:
A good scope that gives you a extra 15 minutes [wink] bedding area upwind! no scent .
[/Q]

Clear sky, full moon and snow cover[wink]

·
Registered
196 Posts
[Q]h2oboss originally wrote:
[Q]frayedknot originally wrote:
A good scope that gives you a extra 15 minutes [wink] bedding area upwind! no scent .
[/Q]

Clear sky, full moon and snow cover[wink]
[/Q]
Silhouette shooting?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts