Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:rockon: Pat (Goldy) & Myself decided to try some spring perch fishing Friday afternoon. We put in at Hallowing point and proceeded up river past the power lines & Chalk Point to try some perch jerking. We ran into a commercial fisherman a friend and former Dart player (TRI-CODA) and asked what he had been catching way up the PAX. He said he set his nets earlier in the week and caught about 400 lbs of big white perch and to no suprise around 900 lbs. of big spawning rockfish. He said they tore his net up and many of the big fish either weny right thru the net or were released.

I have to wonder what kind of damage the perch netters are having on the spawning of stipers? Seems a shame that the comercial fisheries are allowed to set thier nets during the spawn of rockfish (because we saw about 4 or five floaters (dead spawners).

Well the perch didn't even show for us during the tide run (high), we tried the channels and the mouths but no go. About an hour into the fish, anchored in the channel I did however catch a nice 30" male striper on 6 test pound test (on a ultalight) he was a lot of fun. He hit a bloodworm on the bottom and proceeded to run and stretch my ultralight rig to the max. I boated him after about a five to seven minute fight. The current (tide) was moving pretty good so he was fightting both me and the tide. We released him as soon as possible, Pat caught a four pound cat in the same area. So the day wasn't a total loss. We at least got a couple to the boat. The weather was great, and it beat a day at the office.:rockingreport:

·
Registered
230 Posts
Thanks for the report.I made about the same run on the 29th and had to fish the PP canal just to get some pullage.-Good Job-TIGHT LINES!

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I'm cool!
809 Posts
Nice report.. thanks for sharing.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts