Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fished Rapp from Wake both days. Wednesday was beautiful! 70s with light SW wind. Actually got uncomfortably hot in the afternoon. Anyway, lots of fish all day between 16-19", but no keepers. Had mid-morning surface action, and when that died picked a number up jigging structure. Went out to Windmill Pt light, and looked pretty quiet out there. Did get on 18" fish off the light. Back to the river, and around slack (1:30) birds started working around Mill Creek. For next two hours my buddy and I caught 16-19" fish on flies and bucktails.

Was so much fun decided to go back the next day. Totally different story, though weather was pretty similar and we slept in an extra hour to account for the tide. Not a surface break seen all day. Not a fish until about 1:30, when saw some guys casting to the Norris Bridge pilings. We moved in and jigged a couple with spoons, and started catching. The big surprise was when my buddy hooked into a 29 inch fish. Had some high-5s after that! Then we got a 21", so two fish in the box. Moved to other side of piling, and we got a 32" fish! So, take heart my friends, there are some big fish out there. Just gotta be more lucky than good!

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Fished Rapp from Wake both days. Wednesday was beautiful! 70s with light SW wind. Actually got uncomfortably hot in the afternoon. Anyway, lots of fish all day between 16-19", but no keepers. Had mid-morning surface action, and when that died picked a number up jigging structure. Went out to Windmill Pt light, and looked pretty quiet out there. Did get on 18" fish off the light. Back to the river, and around slack (1:30) birds started working around Mill Creek. For next two hours my buddy and I caught 16-19" fish on flies and bucktails.

Was so much fun decided to go back the next day. Totally different story, though weather was pretty similar and we slept in an extra hour to account for the tide. Not a surface break seen all day. Not a fish until about 1:30, when saw some guys casting to the Norris Bridge pilings. We moved in and jigged a couple with spoons, and started catching. The big surprise was when my buddy hooked into a 29 inch fish. Had some high-5s after that! Then we got a 21", so two fish in the box. Moved to other side of piling, and we got a 32" fish! So, take heart my friends, there are some big fish out there. Just gotta be more lucky than good!
:thumbup::thumbup:

·
Registered
579 Posts
Slim Pickings Today

WTG! Perseverance paid off. Going on Tuesday AM with a friend as we start from Lagrange Creek. Will report results. Probably head upriver. Thanks for report.
Tom
Started trolling shortly after 7 AM. Fish on after 15 minutes - fat 23 inches. Another fish 15 minutes later - 18 inch throwback. Both caught on green 6 inch Storm shad near bottom. No other strikes until reeling in rods around 11:30 - 16 inch throwback on hyper striper. Fished upriver from Lagrange Creek. Rain started a bit earlier than forecast, so we headed home.
Tom

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
When you guys troll storm shad and hyper stripers to you use planers?
As for me, I have not used the planers much for fall rockfish. I go deep using those lures with dummy lines, a down-rigger, in line weights, or sometimes bottom bouncing. I have seen other posts where #1 and #2 in-line planers work well in certain areas. Others having more experience with that method may want to provide their insight.

·
Registered
544 Posts
24, 28, 32oz weights on a 48" 50LB mono dropper off a three-way-swivel to a 28-20' 25LB mono leader with 3' of 30LB to the storm or buck tail lure. Otherwise I use down riggers, I like my lures right on the bottom.

Other option tandem with a 6' and 16' leaders to one larger 6-9" shad and a 4" shad on 6' piece. I then add in lines of 6-8" to get them down. Let them way out (100-125').

2.5 to 3.5 depending which way tide is flowing. Lower speed into tidal flow.

Lures, SECRET.

R

·
Registered
579 Posts
When you guys troll storm shad and hyper stripers to you use planers?
No planers. What Ricochet said. 20 - 32 oz weights on bottom with tandem shad on 3-way swivels either at different levels or lighter storm shad on longer line and heavier shad on shorter line. Use smaller lures now such as 4-6 inch shad or small bucktails with 5 inch grubs or hyper striper lures. Waiting for larger ocean migratory fish to arrive before switching to larger lures. Actually, I prefer LT casting the shallows or jigging the bottom under flocks of birds instead of trolling for the smaller fish.
Tom

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Actually, I prefer LT casting the shallows or jigging the bottom under flocks of birds instead of trolling for the smaller fish.
Tom[/QUOTE]

Tom, Glad you got a nice 23 incher the other day. We do more jigging each year. Not having a weight between you and the fish really lets you have a good time fighting the fish, and when they're thick, it's a lot less complicated than dealing with trolling lines!

Bob

1 - 11 of 11 Posts