Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Headed out of Solomons with Twiksman (Tim) and my father-in-law at 7am. The game plan was to work the western side of the channel by the HI lighthouse, where we'd done well the week before. Before I could start setting the third rod, the WWB started screaming (umbrella spoon from C&K Tackle). Tim jumped jumped over my father-in-law, gave me an elbow to the throat, and jumped on the rod to bring in a nice 37 incher. Well, I thought that it was gonna be "one of those days", when we'd limit out before getting the whole spread out. It did turn out to be a great weather day, but the fishing wasn't white hot.

After not finding as much bait as last week, we headed to the HI lighthouse, then back to the west, then to the target ships, then back up towards Cedar Pt Rips. The weather was unbelievable and the bay was about as flat as it could get. We then decided to make our way to 72 after the morning fleet cleared out. On the way, some friendly guys in an old blue cruiser running 2-board planers trolling parallel to us for 40 minutes decided to turn directly toward us and then reached out to us on 16 for a friendly :rolleyes: conversation about me thinking I own the bay, blah blah blah. After exchanging views and wishing each othera Happy Thanksgiving :D, we continued on our course to 72.

Out of nowhere, I heard a huge splash and I looked over, but didn't see anything. Tim and my father-in-law recognized that we had a fish on one of the rods up in the rocket launchers. Tim decided to give someone else a try this time ;-) and my father-in-law reeled in a nice 36 incher (it hit a chartreuse tandem). Apparantely, the fish hit the outside board line and it pulled the board under before the clip released. (Very Jaws-like!)

Overall it was a great day. It took about 5 1/2 hours between fish, but if you're gonna troll for a whole day, Saturday was the day to do it. By the way, if you're the guy that I cut off by holding my line for 40 minutes and steering your boat toward me, maybe next time you should count to ten before initiating that sort of conversation on 16. I fish to relax and have a good time. I leave my totally inappropriate and offensive interactions for work!

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
Tim jumped jumped over my father-in-law, gave me an elbow to the throat, and jumped on the rod to bring in a nice 37 incher.
And I'd do it again!!! :D:D:D Just kidding! After that mid-day drought I was concerned that I stole Roland's only chance at some fish... but was glad to see him get some pullage! Thanks for the trip- Im looking to do it again really soon! Next time, lets keep all the gear in the boat though!

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
Me, I prefer to let the CAPT catch the first fish rather than permanently disable them, of course with both you and Martin that has not turned out well, two arguments and two lost fish :)

ha ha

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh yeah, I forgot the small detail of having lost a brand new 5'6" rod with a Penn 330 on it. I guess the rod holders that I added to the t-top needed to be tightened with the colder weather! We also snagged something (bottom?) on a 20 oz mojo when we got to 35' on a ledge.

As far as reeling in fish, the rule on my boat is that the captain is the LAST to reel one in!

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
Oh yeah, I forgot the small detail of having lost a brand new 5'6" rod with a Penn 330 on it. I guess the rod holders that I added to the t-top needed to be tightened with the colder weather! We also snagged something (bottom?) on a 20 oz mojo when we got to 35' on a ledge.

As far as reeling in fish, the rule on my boat is that the captain is the LAST to reel one in!
Two things..#1, wish you had told me that rule a week ago when we argued about who was gonna reel that 50 lber in...

and those rod holders have been falling over for 3 weeks...I would have worked the wrench for you to get that done! Sorry you lost the rod, that sucks..

·
Registered
3,091 Posts

OMG The rod came out???:eek2: I lost one offshore once...Its a BAD, BAD feeling watching it sink...I'm glad the lures worked out and you guys got some fish!!

·
Registered
738 Posts
glad you stuck it out ! always pays off. A wise man told me one time to catch fish you can't be scared to burn fuel. I think he was right. Great report

1 - 10 of 10 Posts