Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
starting about 10AM Sunday, as the tide dropped bluefish pushed spearing (minnows) up against the wash until the 1st 5-7ft of water was tea stained it had so much bait. The blues cruised along and picked off whatever they wanted and spent the entire day there along 2nd & 3rd Ave in Surf City.

It was a catch and release extravaganza as blues would bite just about anything. I scored early on deadly dick and kastmaster and when that became too easy, switched over to a zara spook and watched the top water action explode. All on light tackle inshore rods casting from the shoreline.

My brother and I were handing rods to little kids and letting them take turns reeling in fish. Once in hand, bluefish puked minnows like it was a contest while hooks were removed. The blitz literally lasted until we left for dinner around 4 and when we walked back up to take a look before sunset, blues were still breaking water in decent numbers.

There was a huge flock of seagulls and pelicans a couple hundred yards offshore all day. Given the blues drove many minnows up on to the sand, I was amazed more birds weren't hitting the buffet that ran along the shoreline.

With bright sunshine, warm temps (air and water) and fish eager to bite, I couldn't think of a better way to spend my long weekend. :thumbup::thumbup:

Didn't catch any species besides blues, although the minnows were so thick, sometimes just reeling in a lure snagged a few small baits. I've gotta believe Stripers are close behind as the water temp drops.

Tight Lines!

Dave

·
Registered
127 Posts
Sounds like an awesome day - thanks for the report. I plan to fish the OC surf this fall so I will be watching for your report on the stripers coming down the coast with great interest! :rockon:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts