Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone done any extensive studies on the effects of rife stock or structural damage to a firearm due to the heavy use of the Lead Sled? I'm concearned that it may damage the pillars or stock itself. Does anyone have an opion on the subject? Somethings gotta give somewhere.

Moe

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah Big Dv and Crow Bait, it's a bench rest type device to use for zeroing your riffle in and for target pratice. It has a place to add weight in the form of shot shell lead. You can add as many as 4 bags which is 100lbs. to reduce practically all the recoil. I was leary of using one, thinking it may cause damage to stock or pillars of riffle stock. TAILWALKER posted on the Fresh Water Board and told about using one for over a year and he thought it was safe. I will probably still wait some time for them to be time tested more.

Moe

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Depends on the caliber and the load.

I busted the stock on a .338 Ruger just putting a sandbag on my shoulder. Now the loads were pretty hot approaching max, and I was in the process of "working up" loads for a 300 grain Barnes so the recoil was stout - - - thus the sandbag.

2 boxes of .338 heavies will bruise your shoulder ! ! !

I got a new stock, and had the recoil lug area reinforced with threaded rod and acraglass. No further problems sand bags and all !

The .375s have a bolt through that area.

So yeah you can damage a gun if you don't allow the recoil to be dissapated as intended - - - into your shoulder !

BW
BB

·
Registered
51 Posts
You have a misunderstanding about the lead slead it is a recoil reduction shooting rest. The lead sled is placed on your shooting bench and the bags of shot are placed on to the rest. The number of bags you can place is up to 100 lbs or 4 bags of shot You place your shoulder up against the rest and pull the trigger. The added weight helps reduce the felt recoil. It does not prevent recoil just reduces it. This is great way to help reduce the flinch when shooting big bores. Can you imagine shooting 25 12 gauge slugs while sighting in, painful. Anybody would hesitate from pulling the trigger. This tool will allow you to shoot more rounds while sighting in or trying new loads for you guns. I have talked to the people at the NRA "Dope Bag" the people who try products out. They said they have used it shooting .375 H&H's, 416 Rigbys, and other big bores and have never damaged a gun. On the other side they said if you put the gun on a solid rest were it will not move and take away the recoil from the gun the energy has to be displace somewhere if not the shoulder or lead sled then it is the gun and such putting a gun in a solid rest may cause damage. The sled is not a solid rest and is a great tool so I think you gun will be safe if you use it properly as designed.

I have .338 Remington Ultra Mag which I developed loads for which have been chronographed about 3100 feet per second with a 250 grain Barnes Triple shock bullet. I use 94.7 grains of reloader 25 powder. It has about 70 foot lbs of felt recoil by the computer calculations. It is super accurate 1/2" to 3/4" moa at 100yards and hits with alot of energy down range. It is a great gun for larger big game animals. And there has never been any problem with using the lead sled that i borrowed at the range I belong too.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
I bought one last year and it is awesome for sighting in blackpowder and slug guns. Flinching may be a thing of the past now.

Feeshon [grin]

1 - 9 of 9 Posts