Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What size leader do you use in the fall? For spring trolling, all of my tandems and chutes for umbrellas are tied with 60lb Ande. Should I use a smaller leader or maybe fluorocarbon? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
60lb is fine. The only thing I would do is make sure its still in good shape if its left over from the spring, but the best thing is just to re-tie with new line.

·
Premium Member
26,104 Posts
Rerig all your leaders from spring with new 60lb. Ande.Leaders are cheap.

Why chance losing a huge Rock and a $$$$ lure. One 1/4 lb spool of 60 lb. Ande will last a whole season and costs $8-11.00. Cheap insurance :thumbup:.

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
---I go 80 # in Spring & Fall , I've always felt that a fish of a lifetime could break 60# at the Knots & Especilly the lure knot --A 55# fish Dosent leave much leeway for Murphys law , that usually occurs at the Side of the boat --geo.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Thanks guys. I did re-rig my everything. I got skunked yesterday and thought they were leader shy or something. I marked a lot of fish and didn't even get a pull down. After reading a few other reports, I wasn't the only one having a problem above 83. I'm going further south next time.

---I go 80 # in Spring & Fall , I've always felt that a fish of a lifetime could break 60# at the Knots & Especilly the lure knot --A 55# fish Dosent leave much leeway for Murphys law , that usually occurs at the Side of the boat --geo.
This actually happened to me this spring. Maybe I should go bigger. Just like you said, we lost her right at the boat and it did break at the knot. Thanks Capt. George.

·
Tidal Fish Super Subscriber - I support TidalFish.
2,946 Posts
is 25 lb test on 220 penns too light? For rockfish
I use 220's for my planer board rods because that is what I have. I do use 50# braid on them. We have caught some good sized fish on them.

Can you do it? Sure, but it is going to take longer to get the fish in and she will probably tangle up all your other lines.

·
Registered
8,589 Posts
30lb diamond line for the rods and 60lb ande for leader spring and fall. No need for something heavier in the bay (unless tuna start to be caught)

·
Premium Member
26,104 Posts
Rock feed from behind/underneath a baitfish so they will not see the leader most times.I've caught them on shiny steel leaders set for Blues.

Most fish are lost at the boat because you have lost the cushion of the rod flexing.Your leaderman might have to let the leader go on a big frisky Rock.

After each big fish-cut off the knot at the lure and retie it.Only takes 1/2 a minute :thumbup:.

The tough bite can be from the full moon.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I use 60# for leaders in both spring and fall. Of course I have never hooked that really big one yet, but actually landed my best this spring(46"@40 lb).

I think 220's would be too small for trolling for trophy rockfish with any kind of major spread behind the boat or if u wanted to troll any type of Umbrella's. But I am sure you could land some fish on them.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts