Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:confused: Any of you Guy's use loop to loop connection for your leaders to main line. Switched to high vis line and want to stick with a wind on system but I am concerned about the increased visability of the high vis line. Thanking of rigging 25 foot fluro for the bulk of my baits and using a loop to loop connection. Not sure of breaking strength? and diffiiculty with rollers? My main line is 80#. Historically I use 150#leaders trolling in most cases and fluro chunking 40-150 depending on the bite? any body use a loop to loop connection this would require barrel swivel in the leader.

·
Premium Member
5,925 Posts
I use a spro with flurocarbon leaders. Use crimps, don't hand tie. 1.0 for your main line and a 1.2 for leaders. One good thing about flurocarbon leaders, is you can use 125# test with 80# main, the fluro is much more abrasion resistant so you can scale down a bit. 125# will catch most anything out there.

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
I use basically the same method as bobdu11. I use a 130 lb Spro power swivel and 50 ft of 100 lb test Momoi, I end that with a 130 lb snap swivel. The 50 ft winds on and I can clip my standard leader to the snap this gives me approximately 70 ft (my leaders are all approx.18 ft) of clear mono before the hi-vis ever hits the water.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Lou
I was thanking of doing the same thing but had concerns of the spiro weekening due to the curvature of the spool. This would save me from re rigging all my purchased lures. I placed high vis on all the rigger rods and the shotguns thanking it would make easier work of fine tuning my spread. Also great for drop backs!

·
Premium Member
5,925 Posts
if you want a true wind on, don't use any snap swivels, besides that's too much terminal tackle to spook the fish and you have leader the fish. Main line to spro to 20' of flurocarbon. We fish that system on a regular basis and have caught plenty. The high vis' main line shouldn't be an issue. good luck

·
Registered
162 Posts
No need for a snap swivel. Mainline to your wind-on swivel to your leader. Keep it simple. Adding that swivel just ads an extra piece of terminal tackle in the water that is not needed. If your fishing on a small boat, or any boat for that matter this is a very easy way to go that works. Crank your fish up to the boat and game over. This is the set-up you will find on 99% of charter boats on the mid-atlantic that are meat fishing day in and day out.

K

·
Registered
310 Posts
As far as meat fishing is concerned K.I.S.S. The wind on system for trolling using 80 or 130 lb spro depending on your guide size to 20'-30' floro 80-100 lb leader is the way to go !

Be sure to use the spro " power swivel " vs. what they call the " heavy swivel " because the heavy swivel will cut your line. Don't worry about the high vis. scaring the fish bc most of the line is out of the water anyway & keep all the rods w/ the same set-up so they're interchangeable. You can run into problems going through the outrigger clips if you try to add another loop to loop or wind on + you're adding another area for tackle failure by using anything more than the wind on swivel going straight to your leader.

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
I like a snap swivel on the end of my main line so I can change out a lure or leader quickly when necessary, also the snap swivel allows you to pre-rig your baits the night before. I don't feel that a tiny snap 20 feet in front of the bait makes a difference nor do I think the extra Spro between the hi-vis and clear mono make a difference either. I do think keeping the hi-vis out of the water makes a difference. I do think that many of the charter boats use wind-ons because they don't have a leader man and a seperate gaff man, those duties are carried out by one person and a wind on is simply...... easier. There are many thing charter boats do that we rec. anglers do not do, there are many differences between recreational small boat fishing and charter boat fishing. One major difference is that, generally speaking, my crews are seasoned anglers who can all carry out leadering, gaffing and rigging baits things that charter boat patrons may not be able to do. Additionally, many people have told me that adding the extra Spro between the clear and hi-vis is just adding another potential failure area, my answer is simple... two extra, good, well maintained crimps are far better than one non-extra bad, neglected crimp.

These are just things I do, believe work and have worked well for my crews and I and our method of fishing. Give 'em a try if you like and see if they help you out.

·
Premium Member
4,888 Posts
So how dangerous are the small spo's to turbo guides?

·
Premium Member
5,925 Posts
not much at all. When you are about to wind on the spro, just have the angler lower the rod tip and it will take the pressure off of the guide for an instant and crank it up. if you get a surge from the fish, just lower the rod tip for the same result. It's not hard to achieve this and the reward of ease is well worth it.

·
Registered
310 Posts
I'm w/ Brian on this one & from a " rigging ho " standpoint really appreciate the advantages of the wind-on leader system.

* Easier & safer on the capt. & crew bringing a fish to the boat
* Cleaner going out & in, running from spot to spot
* Strong proven connection
* Allows for true 20-30' leaders w/ less terminal tackle in the h20
* Less tangles associated w/ fish bucket or pre-rigged baits
* Easy to change out colors or rigs w/ 1 crimp
* Less $ when using floro leaders

K.I.S.S.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have never had a problem with spro's and guides but I have rollers on my rods. I have been concerned about damaging the spro with the rod leading to failure but I have never had this happen. I would not thank that they would hurt turbo's assuming the proper size was selected.

·
Registered
1 Posts
leader to main line connections

For leader to main line I like loop to loop or double uni knot connection. The Spro swivel works like a charm but is at place in your line where it may be going through the rod tip many time during a battle. Certainly many times during the course of the day. That can lead to chip or scratches in the tip/roller, which doesn't happen frequently but once is enough to damage your line and cause you to lose the fish of a lifetime.
For me, uni to uni is smooth, small and easy to tie. Bimini twist, well, it seems like a lot of work especially at sea. If the uni uni doesn't give you complete confidence (it's never failed me) you can put a drop of super glue on it.

·
Premium Member
4,888 Posts
Uni to Uni is really onjly effective when using similar sized lines. Now if you are joining two similar lines they why use a leader at all?

·
Registered
39 Posts
I like a snap swivel on the end of my main line so I can change out a lure or leader quickly when necessary, also the snap swivel allows you to pre-rig your baits the night before. I don't feel that a tiny snap 20 feet in front of the bait makes a difference nor do I think the extra Spro between the hi-vis and clear mono make a difference either. I do think keeping the hi-vis out of the water makes a difference. I do think that many of the charter boats use wind-ons because they don't have a leader man and a seperate gaff man, those duties are carried out by one person and a wind on is simply...... easier. There are many thing charter boats do that we rec. anglers do not do, there are many differences between recreational small boat fishing and charter boat fishing. One major difference is that, generally speaking, my crews are seasoned anglers who can all carry out leadering, gaffing and rigging baits things that charter boat patrons may not be able to do. Additionally, many people have told me that adding the extra Spro between the clear and hi-vis is just adding another potential failure area, my answer is simple... two extra, good, well maintained crimps are far better than one non-extra bad, neglected crimp.

These are just things I do, believe work and have worked well for my crews and I and our method of fishing. Give 'em a try if you like and see if they help you out.
The reason charter boats do it is because it catches fish, and bottom line that is what charter boats have to do consistently. Every piece of terminal tackle is something else to fail and something else for a fish to see. You are right, somedays they don't mind...and others, you need to do everything possible to scale down and go stealthy. Do what you are comfortable doing...but I guarantee you will catch more meat with just a spro and wind-on.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Snap swivels do not scare fish when trolling. Just my .02 and Im sticking to it. I like leadering fish just as much as reeling them in anyhow. I like twelve to twenty pre rigged baits at ready to snap on after 6 get mauled.

The stealth of the SPRO is a great option for chunking - - in that application, its great! :thumbup:

·
Registered
173 Posts
I do think that many of the charter boats use wind-ons because they don't have a leader man and a seperate gaff man, those duties are carried out by one person and a wind on is simply...... easier. There are many thing charter boats do that we rec. anglers do not do, there are many differences between recreational small boat fishing and charter boat fishing. One major difference is that, generally speaking, my crews are seasoned anglers who can all carry out leadering, gaffing and rigging baits things that charter boat patrons may not be able to do.
Here is my take on the subject matter above. It's obviously easier on your wireman when using wind-ons...heck you don't even need a wireman! All the mate has to do is gaff the fish. This is what is said in the above quote...and it is VERY true.

But my opinion is a bit different. I don't think charters use wind-ons for that specific reason...sort of. I believe they do it because MANY of today's mates are not talented enough to leader a fish and gaff them by themselves! Now don't get me wrong. There are plenty of mates that can do this, but they are becoming fewer in numbers quickly. Wind-ons allow a captain to hire someone that knows how to rig a ballyhoo but may not be as tallented when it comes time to boat the catch.

A good mate can wire AND gaff his fish w/o the aid of others...even big fish.

Just my opinion...nothing more.

Jay

1 - 20 of 23 Posts