Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
5,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll tell you another big idea. We've got to do something about our immigration laws......We've got to make sure we have a focused strategy to prevent people, goods, drugs, whatever, being smuggled in this country. ........ One way to protect this border is to recognize that people are sneaking in here to work. person. FROM: WHITE HOUSE PRESS CONFERENCE Aug. 05.

After years as the Govenor of the border state of Texas and 5 years as President of the United States George W. Bush just realizes we must do something about our immigration laws.

Reuters
Wednesday, May 3, 2006; 1:25 AM
NEW YORK (Reuters) - Nine states have sued the administration of President George W. Bush for lenient automotive fuel economy standards that they say worsen an energy crunch and contribute to air pollution and climate change.

Now states with a Republican govenor (CA) are suing the Republican majority and the Republican President trying to get them to do their job

·
Registered
5,184 Posts
"Now states with a Republican govenor (CA) are suing the Republican majority and the Republican President trying to get them to do their job"

Yeah while the democrats want 15 million illegals voting Dem. Both parties are culpable of doing nothing. Candidates that dont want to enforce the immigration laws shouldnt run.

Here's a past example of Dem Plans-
House Democrats yesterday proposed granting legal residency and the eventual option of U.S. citizenship to millions of illegal immigrants now working in the United States. Laying out their own principles for revamping the nation's immigration laws in response to what House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi called President Bush's "political ploy," Democrats went beyond Mr. Bush's plan for a temporary-worker program and called for a system of "earned legalization" for illegal aliens. At a Capitol Hill press conference, Democrats proposed allowing illegal immigrants who have worked in the United States for a yet-to-be-determined minimum period of time to stay here and be granted permanent legal residency, creating a "pathway" to eventual citizenship. "The president's proposal is a political ploy, and not the solid foundation on which we can build an improved immigration policy," said Mrs. Pelosi of California. "Democrats have a better way." Mrs. Pelosi said Mr. Bush's recently proposed plan doesn't create a meaningful way for illegal aliens to become U.S. residents or citizens; doesn't reduce the backlog of U.S. citizens' petitions on behalf of relatives who are here illegally; and doesn't help tens of thousands of teenage illegals attend college here and eventually be granted legal status. In addition to proposing measures to address those concerns, Democrats endorsed a temporary-worker program that would give foreigners the option to stay in the United States and eventually earn permanent legal status here. President Bush's plan, in contrast, would allow illegal aliens already here, as well as newcomers, to work in the United States legally for three years under a temporary-worker program. When their three-year permits expired, such immigrant workers would be required to return to their home countries. Once back in their home countries, they could apply for legal U.S. status through the existing system. Under the Bush plan, the three-year work permits could be extended in some cases, but not indefinitely. "The president wants to give [illegal aliens] a lot, but the Democrats want to give them the jackpot," said Steve Camarota, director of research at the Center for Immigration Studies. Sen. John Cornyn, the Texas Republican sponsor of legislation that essentially mirrors Mr. Bush's proposal, said requiring workers to eventually return to their home country will reduce future illegal immigration by strengthening struggling foreign economies. "In my recent visit with government leaders in Mexico City, I was repeatedly told that they want their workers to come back, to return home with capital and skills," he said. "They need those small-business owners, those entrepreneurs to strengthen a weakened middle class." Mr. Cornyn's bill and Mr. Bush's proposal would provide incentives for immigrants to return home after their legal work period here expires. But Democrats like Rep. Luis V. Gutierrez, Illinois Democrat, said it would be unfair and unworkable to deport immigrants who have worked in the United States for many years. He praised Mr. Bush for opening the door to immigration changes, but said the government won't be able to enforce Mr. Bush's plan. "There is not the political will ... to conduct that massive deportation," he said. Mr. Camarota agreed. "At least the Democrats are realistic," he said, adding that illegal immigrants in the United States, "aren't going home now and they're not going to go home with President Bush's proposal." Democrats propose allowing foreign-born minors who are here illegally to stay in the United States, attend college and eventually earn legal status. Democrats said that "at minimum" they support a bill, already approved by the Senate Judiciary Committee, to allow states to grant in-state college tuition rates to illegal-alien students. That bill would also authorize federal officials to halt deportation of such students and allow the students to eventually become permanent U.S. residents. Mrs. Pelosi said if Mr. Bush were serious about improving the system, he would call for immediate action on the House counterpart to that Senate bill, as well as another House bill that would allow 500,000 illegal agricultural workers to become legal permanent residents. Democrats also propose enhanced family-reunification provisions. They seek reinstatement of a law that would allow illegal immigrants, sponsored by immediate family members who are U.S. citizens, to stay in the United States and apply for legal status, instead of being forced to return to their home countries before seeking legal admission. Mr. Bush tried to revive that law in the past, but it was "beaten down in the House," Mr. Camarota said, and the measure is not part of Mr. Bush's most recent proposal.

Now what party caters most to illegal aliens?

·
Registered
8,432 Posts
The topic is "leadership", Frank. Leaders of all branches are currently republicans. The "do-nothing" awards must, by definition, go mostly to them.[sad]

·
Registered
5,184 Posts
Oh and you think Pelosi is at the top of the enforce the illegal alien laws rung, THEY are all culpable and answerable to the people.....

·
Registered
8,432 Posts
[Q]Capt Frank originally wrote:
THEY are all culpable and answerable to the people.....
[/Q]On this you're right and the way the "people" usually react is by electing a new "leadership".

·
Registered
25 Posts
[Q]etouffe123 originally wrote:

After years as the Govenor of the border state of Texas and 5 years as President of the United States George W. Bush just realizes we must do something about our immigration laws.

I know you operate under the philosophy that the facts, although interesting, are irrelevant, but immigration was on Bush's agenda back in 2001. Think back, perhaps do a little research and I believe you'll find your "just realizes" characterization to be inaccurate.

·
Registered
8,432 Posts
[Q]Knot Working originally wrote:
immigration was on Bush's agenda back in 2001.
[/Q]Did he lose it and just find it recently? "Hey Laura, where did you put my agender?" "I don't know George, maybe Barney ate it".

·
Registered
25 Posts
[Q]captaingeorge originally wrote:
Did he lose it and just find it recently? ...[/Q]

I think something happened that year ... maybe in September? I know, I know, in your mind that should have had no affect, but it did.

·
Registered
5,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
CaptFrank and Knot Working your leader speaks...

"Those who enter the country illegally violate the law." -George W. Bush, Tucson, Ariz., Nov. 28, 2005

Let nobody claim that GWB doesn't get it. [grin]

·
Registered
5,184 Posts
And I was the first to criticize Bush. To think that the Dems are a step up on the enforce the illegal alien laws issue is a fantasy, maybe a pipe dream at best. Their leadership has made it clear they are in favor of creating new laws to make illegal aliens legal.

Here's someone whom many here have criticized but he's got it right on the illegal alien issue:

Pat Buchanan on Immigration

America is becoming Mexamerica
Half the 100 million Mexicans are still mired in poverty. Tens of millions are unemployed or underemployed. Because of devaluations, real wages are below what they were in 1993. Thus the great migration north continues. Some 1.5 million are apprehended every year on our southern border breaking into the United States. Of the perhaps 500,000 who make it, one-third head for Mexifornia, where their claims on Medicaid, schools, courts, prisons, and welfare have tipped the Golden State toward bankruptcy and induced millions of native-born Americans to flee in the great exodus to Nevada, Idaho, Arizona, and Colorado. Ten years after NAFTA, Mexico's leading export to America is still--Mexicans. America is becoming Mexamerica.
Source: Where The Right Went Wrong, by Pat Buchanan, p.166 Sep 1, 2004

Terrorists are among us as undocumented immigrants
Though Osama bin Laden may be the instigator and financier of terror, the war crimes of Tuesday last were carried out by men who live among us. The enemy is already inside the gates. How many others among our 11 million "undocumented" immigrants are ready to carry out truck bombings, assassinations, sabotage, skyjackings?
Source: Los Angeles Times, Op-Ed page Sep 18, 2001

Treat illegal immigration as an invasion & repel it
We cannot continue to allow illegal immigration. A country that loses control of its borders is not a country. The Constitution of the United States obligates the government to protect the states from foreign invasion. If we can send an army halfway around the world to defend the borders of Kuwait and Saudi Arabia, why can't we defend the borders of the United States? I will build a security fence. We will seal the borders of this country cold. We will stop the illegal immigration in its tracks.
Source: United We Stand America Conference, p.321 Aug 12, 1995

Stop the invasion from the south; limit immigration
Buchanan said his exclusion from the three televised debates between Bush and Gore kept viewers from a real discussion of issues like immigration. "One of the great social crises of this country is unrestricted immigration and an invasion from the south," he said. "I will cut back legal immigration to 250,000 a year and I will defend America's border, if necessary with American troops."
Source: Zachary Coile, San Francisco Examiner Oct 27, 2000

Make English our official language
Buchanan's TV ad, titled "Meatball," depicts a man who begins to choke when he hears of a government move to strip English of its status as the "national language." The ad cites an executive order President Clinton signed in August making it easier for non-English-speaking citizens to gain access to federal programs and services. The man calls 911 and, eyes bulging from the meatball stuck in his throat, hears an automated menu of languages to choose from. "Please listen for your language," a recording says. "For Spanish, press one. For Korean, press two. For Bengali, press three." He dies before getting to English, though it's unclear what the choking man would have done had he reached an English-speaking dispatcher. "That's a good question," Buchanan said. "Do you ever miss English?" an announcer asks in the ad. "Immigration is out of control. Bush and Gore are writing off English for good." Buchanan believes English should be the official U.S. language.
Source: Scott Lindlaw, Associated Press Oct 9, 2000

Use troops on borders to limit immigration
Q: Describe your immigration policy.
A: Frankly, we ought to get control of our immigration, as most Americans want. And, frankly, put our troops, if necessary, on the border to stop the one million illegals coming into this country. 250,000 to 300,000 a year could come in. We'd still be the most generous country in the world, but it would give us time to assimilate and Americanize the 30 million who have come here in recent decades.

Source: Nader-Buchanan debate on 'Meet the Press' Oct 1, 2000

Teach new immigrants to be American & limit their numbers
If America is to survive as "one nation," we must take an immigration "time out" to mend the melting pot. As President, I will: Halt illegal immigration by securing our borders. Stand with the three-in-four Americans who agree that mass legal immigration must be reduced by restoring the 20th century average of 250,000 to 300,000 immigrants per year. Support a national campaign of assimilation to teach newly adopted Americans our culture, history, traditions, and English language.
Source: Buchanan/Foster site Aug 6, 2000

Vast majority wants border controls like Buchanan fence
I think the vast majority of the American people want immigration reform. They want our borders under control. They would like the atrocities that are occurring stopped cold. I think the whole Congress would support that. In Douglas, Arizona, they've got thousands of people walking in every night, cattle are being poisoned, people's homes are maximum security prisons. This is where all the illegal immigration has poured in now that the Buchanan fence has been built in San Diego.
Source: National Public Radio interview, "Talk of the Nation" May 30, 2000

A million immigrants a year: "we're gonna lose our country"
Q: I would like to ask Mr. Buchanan about his stance on immigration, which has usually been against Third World people. He has openly objected to Africans coming here. Why are you not allowing or giving everybody the same favors to enter this country as long as they are qualified to be here?
A: All I'm saying is that our levels of immigration now in the last 30 years have been enormous. It's almost over a million legal immigrants a year, and half a million illegals who come here and stay. And you're rapidly changing the nature of the entire country; we speak 300 languages. Unless we do something and make sure the things that unite us are elevated--like language and history and all the rest of it--we're gonna lose our country, my friend. But anybody from any country and any continent can be a good American. We know that from our history.

Source: National Public Radio interview, "Talk of the Nation" May 30, 2000

Most pressing foreign policy crisis: illegal immigration
Increasingly, Buchanan is known as an enemy of immigration, especially immigration from below the Rio Grande. He wants a triple fence, heavily policed, to keep Mexicans out of the US. He calls illegal immigration -- not Russia's nukes, not North Korea's missiles, not Saddam's dreams of mass destruction, but immigration -- "America's most pressing foreign policy crisis."
Source: Jeff Jacoby editorial, Boston Globe Sep 20, 1999

Secure our porous borders; teach immigrants English
[We should] halt illegal immigration by securing our porous borders and strengthening internal enforcement. I support a national campaign of assimilation to teach newly adopted Americans our culture, history, traditions, and English language. To do otherwise cripples American cohesion and keeps the newest members of the American family from full participation. Legal immigration must be reduced by restoring the 20th century average of 250,000 to 300,000 immigrants per year.
Source: www.GoPatGo.org/ "Issues: Immigration Reform" Jun 5, 1999

Immigration "time out"; reduce to 250,000 per year
We need an immigration "time out." I will enact a new federal law to restore immigration levels to 250,000 a year-America's historical 20th Century average-strengthen the Border Patrol, lengthen the "Buchanan Fence" on the southern frontier, repatriate illegals, and repair the great American melting pot. The 27 million who have come into our nation since 1970 shall be assimilated and Americanized, introduced fully into our history, culture, the English language and American traditions.
Source: www.gopatgo2000.com/000-c-immigration.html 5/28/99 May 28, 1999

·
Registered
5,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
"And I want those who are questioning it to step up and explain why all of a sudden a Middle Eastern company is held to a different standard than a Great British company." -George W. Bush, defending a plan to allow a company controlled by the United Arab Emirates to manage ports in the United States, aboard Air Force One, Feb. 21, 2006

Let me see Mr. President.....9/11....stoning women to death...past banking for bin Laden. Just which country are you the leader of.....OZ?

I don't think President Bush fully understands this immigration thing. Like today, when they asked him about amnesty, he said it's horrible when anyone loses their memory." --Jay Leno

·
Registered
5,184 Posts
OK youve made your point, who presently has leadership to meet all of the points and posts youve made?
In my very humble opinion, there is no one on this planet or any other one that could fit that bill. In the end it will always be the least of the evils that cause people to vote, because historically, that's how the American political system of parties work.

There was a quote in the movie, Search For Red October, that has stuck in my head. Something Sean Connery said, went like, " A revolution every now and then is good, dont you think".
If this illegal alien thing is not soon dealt with, the American public may soon perform that task at the voter booth minimally.

I could go on and on whats wrong, but Id start with term limits for all of Congress.

·
Registered
5,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. It is it's natural manure. Thomas Jefferson.

Once facet of leadership is the ability to recruit, evaluate and select the best available talent to fill the various posts in government during a presidental term(s) of office. If this is a vaild statement then it follows that if the post which is vacated is one that will be occupied for life then the greatest care should be given to that individuals resume, tenure in a similiar job, knowledge of all aspects of the job etc.

I think it's important to bring somebody from outside the system, the judicial system, somebody that hasn't been on the bench and, therefore, there's not a lot of opinions for people to look at." -George W. Bush, on the nomination of Harriet Miers to the Supreme Court, Washington, D.C., October 4, 2005
This is leadership to follow? This is a person I would not hire to run a branch office.

·
Registered
5,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
This thread is a evaluation of the leadership which is in office and is in the majority in the Executive, Legislative and Judicial branches of this government. Who I think would be better is irrelevant.

"We have to ensure that we have the resources and ability to care for all veterans," Piché said. "This fiscal year we hit a bit of a crisis. We have more veterans to care for but our budget doesn't increase."

read today in an article by the Associated Press that President Bush's 2006 budget (if he is re-elected) has a provision in it that will cut funds for Veterans Affairs by 3.4% or roughly $1 billion. The total VA Budget is $28.7 billion a year.

Is it not the role of Commander in Chief to put the care of his troops, especially his wounded troops, first. This Commander in Chief and his Republican party cuts the budget of the VA

·
Registered
5,184 Posts
etouffe again, youve got no solutions, no leadership picks, only complaints. To be honest, you just sound like a whiner. For instance the democratic party is full of whiners with no solutions, hence lost elections. Anyone can complain. If it's leadership you want, who's your man or woman?

·
Registered
5,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
To evaluate those hired (elected) is whining? Not by the corporations which paid me to do just that job. When I evaluated someone I did not say, "Bill Gates could do a better job". I evaluated their performance.

WASHINGTON - Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist and House Speaker Dennis Hastert engineered a backroom legislative maneuver to protect pharmaceutical companies from lawsuits, say witnesses to the pre-Christmas power play.

The language was tucked into a Defense Department appropriations bill at the last minute without the approval of members of a House-Senate conference committee, say several witnesses, including a top Republican staff member. FROM Frist's home state newspaper...The Tennessean.

Sneaking behind Congresses back, attaching earmarks to Defense appropriations bills during a time of war...this is the Republican leadership example? WHY did they do it....well money of course

Frist has received $271,523 in campaign donations from the pharmaceutical and health products industry since 1989, according to the Center for Responsive Politics, a watchdog group.

He is also a possible candidate for president in 2008
If being for sale is a plank in this presidential candidates platform then he already has a leg up on the job.

·
Tidal Fish SUPER Commercial Subscriber
10,897 Posts
Oh yeah, and Clinton and Carter did something about it - sure? All of the politicians - Republicans and Democrats are POS. There is only one solution and everyone knows it. Kick all of the illegal aliens out - build a wall around the country, enforce the wall, and keep 'em out. If they come back in illegally, lock 'em up for as long as possible, and, if they are eligible for release, deport 'em. But of course, that will never happen.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts