Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1991 40HP Evinrude. The rebuild for the Trim/Tilt motor is very high and the only seal leaking is on the shaft that is shown in the pic. Once the plate is removed does the shaft come out? If so, the seal can be replaced for just a few $$$. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
the shaft will come out when the top plate is removed, There is a special tool for removing the plate, the shaft has a nut on the end of it, there is a seal kit available for about $55, if you are going to do the job it would probably be best to buy the kit & replace all the seals & O rings instead of just the top seals

·
Registered
72 Posts
I just replaced the seals in my 200hp mercury and yes you are going to want to replace all the seals. If you don't you will be tearing it apart again soon. Once you replace the seals the old ones will have more pressure against them as well. Also the only way to make sure that all the metal shavings (which will be there) are removed is to completely drain and swab the system.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
RJ/Hillbilly Jr - Thanks for the info, i will reseal the entire unit. Are there any other special tools required other then the wrench to pull off the top plate?

Bottom Scratcher- I looked for the bottom nut while it was on the boat but didnt see anything. Shouldnt the shaft come straight up and out once the unit is pull off? Let me know.

Thanks!

·
Registered
63 Posts
RJ/Hillbilly Jr - Thanks for the info, i will reseal the entire unit. Are there any other special tools required other then the wrench to pull off the top plate?

Bottom Scratcher- I looked for the bottom nut while it was on the boat but didnt see anything. Shouldnt the shaft come straight up and out once the unit is pull off? Let me know.

Thanks!
The nut he is referring to is the nut that holds all of the piston/seals onto the shaft. This is all internal in the unit and the shaft will come out completely. I recently did this and could not get the upper pin out. I removed the lower pin and removed the trim cap while it was still on the motor and then dropped the trim unit, leaving the shaft still attached to the upper pin.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts