Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Yak has some leaks.I put it up on saw horses ,secured it and filled it with water.Every rivet leaks.(Factory)There are also several pin holes in one of the rear scuppers.What should I use to patch the leaks?

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
First thing I would do is try to get the factory to replace it under warranty. I'd fight hard for this as obviously there are major problems.

What type of kayak is it?

If not, I'd be having a goop marathon in a well ventalated area. They also sell a kayak repair kit at Kayak Fishing Stuff which is basically a soldering iron and scrap kayak plastic (poly-ethylene?).

·
Registered
11,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's a mainstream kingfish.I'll get it fixed.I only paid $300 for it.I don't believe the water came in through the rivets,but through the pin holes in the scupper.Not that much water comes in.I've used it 3 times so far.I don't see how any rivet wouldn't leak.The rivets are above the waterline.

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
When fixing the scuppers, after gooping or otherwise waterproofing, I might consider a significant duct tape wrap (or other way - I'm no engineer) to reinforce that area.

·
Registered
11,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Josh I've read about Duct tape for quick repairs on canoes & kayaks.It's a good idea to keep a roll handy.I siliconed the inside of the (rod holder) where the pin holes were that I thought was a scupper.I filled it up with water and it doesn't leak.Have you guys ever filled up your kayaks to see if the riveted handles will pass water?I'll bet they do.Since they're above the water line it shouldn't be a big deal.I own a 10ft.Mainstream twist & a 11ft.Olde Town Loon.I like the Twist very much.I bought the 12ft. kingfish only because it's a requirement with reservoirs like loch Raven,Liberty & Pretty Boy. I have friends that want to go kayak fishing but don't own a kayak.If a kayak were my only vessel to fish from,I'd by the best.However,I like the simplicity of throwing a light weight kayak in the back of my 6ft.bed pick up and just dragging it to the water without the worry of scratching it up.Since I live on a tidal Quarry,I just drag it to the water 125 ft. and go.The kingfish sold for $550 at West Marine but was on sale for $300.Would I buy another for $300 and smear some silicone on a few pin hole leaks?Yes I would.It's all I need.BTW The 12ftr.is a bit faster than the 10ft.

·
Registered
421 Posts
The Kingfish 12 was my first kayak and I still use it on a regular basis, esp. on rocky parts of the James. Had a good evening with the Kingfish, hickories andone white shad on Saturday. It's about 3 years old now, and I filled it with water Sunday and didn't notice any leaks, but I didn't take the water up to the rivets. I imagine they would leak. Reason I filled it up was it gets some water in it, as my Caster 12.5 does, after it rains. They're both stored outside upside down on a rack. I haven't been able to figure out how that rainwater gets in, maybe when it runs down the sides and hits the rivets. I took the Caster in to the dealer, since it's relatively new, and they couldn't find any leaks.

·
Registered
11,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I was up the Susky this morning.I tried from shore for White Perch but didn't get any.Some guys went upriver to the dam lookin for shad in an Express Jet.
I fished last year there by kayak and did well on shad in the 10ft.twist.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
The Kingfish 12 was my first kayak and I still use it on a regular basis, esp. on rocky parts of the James. Had a good evening with the Kingfish, hickories andone white shad on Saturday. It's about 3 years old now, and I filled it with water Sunday and didn't notice any leaks, but I didn't take the water up to the rivets. I imagine they would leak. Reason I filled it up was it gets some water in it, as my Caster 12.5 does, after it rains. They're both stored outside upside down on a rack. I haven't been able to figure out how that rainwater gets in, maybe when it runs down the sides and hits the rivets. I took the Caster in to the dealer, since it's relatively new, and they couldn't find any leaks.
What part of the James (upper James) do you fish.
I used to got up and float down to Maidens Landing some years back with a jon boat.
Thinking of floating again with a yak ot paddling from the landing up to the first set of rapids and wade fishing with a fly rod.

·
Registered
421 Posts
BBCroaker - Right now I'll concentrate on putting in off the 14th Street landing on the north side of the river, for shad between the rapids and the rock island downstream. Later when the stripers move I'm going to try them too, this will be my first year for that, but have heard great reports (fish dawn or dusk into night). During the summer you can put in there, go around the island and paddle up to the rapids on the north side. Good wade fishing there, and almost nobody without a kayak gets in there. I drag mine into the bushes and wade upstream. Also I like the Hardware River area, or put in at the Bremo Bluff landing and work upstream into the riffles. That works well on weekends, because all the float guys are heading downstream, so you get to the fish before they do. Even if you get up late like I often do. The Hugenot Bridge is about 10 minutes from my house, and it's really nice once you get down to the islands. Hard to believe you're in the city.

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
If I'm reading right, your leak was in the rod holder, not the scupper. If that is the case, no need to reinforce the area. If it was the scuppers, that is a high stress area as they are what supports the upper deck (and you on it) when on the water... and reinforcement concerns return.

Do you have a Balt reservoir dedicated kayak? I'd love to get out in them with a simple shore launch away from the fishing center (Loch Raven)... but I'm not sure how strictly enforced the rules are.

·
Registered
11,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
2 trips to loch Raven no leaks.I missed geting a yak dry slip,just a launch permit.Next year I'll leave one of my yaks there so I won't have to haul it.I'll be able to get a dry slip next season.A few years ago there were always some available.I gave mine up for my alluminum boat.It was a hassle.The boat weighed 200#,so pulling it up was a pain.Then you had to bring mtr.,battery, oars,seats,anchors,life preservers etc.It was a fiasco compared to pulling a 43# kayak up.You don't have to go far to catch fish there,you just have to fish patiently.It's so much easier with a kayak.If I had one a few years ago,I'd have kept my dry slip for sure.I only saw 1 other SOT there?They haven't caught on yet.Randy,the main guy at the fishing center watched me fish from it yesterday.I think he was puzzled how you can lay back & relax like you're fishing from a lawn chair in one,compared to those tippy SOB's.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts