Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, i have a queation for ya. A friend of mine, Retired, has a old wood work boat that has a new engine and he really needs to get rid of it. I am interested but one prob. It leaks at the keel and he cant get it sealed so he gave up. I am a boat owner that has just replaced a transome in my Grady White and know the issues at hand. Any odes would be great. The best things in life are not free when it comes to a boat. Thank you all for any help. He was the only owner by the way

·
Registered
75 Posts
Hey guys, i have a queation for ya. A friend of mine, Retired, has a old wood work boat that has a new engine and he really needs to get rid of it. I am interested but one prob. It leaks at the keel and he cant get it sealed so he gave up. I am a boat owner that has just replaced a transome in my Grady White and know the issues at hand. Any odes would be great. The best things in life are not free when it comes to a boat. Thank you all for any help. He was the only owner by the way
I recently posted some pics of a deadrise my freinds and I rehabed last spring . one of the issues was the keel . I will tell you compleatly water tight on a work boat is a tough thing to do but we did get close. I used okum to fill the gap all the way down the keel I made caulking chisels and hammerd it in then caulked it in with urathane one part caulk so the minnows dont pull it out I did this after bottom paint. that seems to be holding have a couple of small leaks other areas I will address these when we pull it this spring.

9rock

·
Registered
251 Posts
You could try using Gluvit.Not many people know of this product but it does work.It would be a very cheap fix.I used it to seal the keel on a wooden runabout.Good Luck

·
Registered
1 Posts
Doug

You need to get it on a railway but don't pump it before you haul it.Check where she is leaking from ! Caulk the leak with cotton , then paint it with bottom paint . After it becomes tacky force seam compoud into the angle where the keel meets the bottom planks. Paint the seam compound with bottom paint.

·
Registered
211 Posts
After you've finished all of the suggested repairs - put in at least two good bilge pumps and batteries (and keep them charged!!). If it's an old, wooden work boat - it's going to leak.

·
Registered
86 Posts
cross planked workboats are about as rigid as a cooked noodle. they just leak some. follow the advice above, including the bilge pumps!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts