Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I'm cool
5,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Eminent brothers,
I'm stuck at home this morning waiting for the repair guy to come by and fix the :censored: heat pump. I guess I'll just have to bend over :eek2: and kiss that Cabo PT 20 goodbye :(( Anyway I was getting my boat ready for a Rips Trip and discovered my trailer lights weren't working. They have worked for 8 years with no problems, but; now I think it's time to just replace them rathar then try to fix them. I was looking at the sealed LED trailer lights and was wondering if they are worth the extra $$$$ :confused: Any of the TF brotherthood care to venture an opinion??? depending on how bad I get hosed by the heat pump guy I may just get new trailer lights today.

·
Premium Member
7,830 Posts
Ole Gray One,
I have a set on my trailer and other then busting one they have worked out very well. I like how bright they are and they say they last for 100,00 hours. I have had them on the trailer for about 2 years. Sorry about your heat pump, maybe it’s something simple that way you can still get your Cabo PT 20 and new trailer lights.

·
Registered
4,576 Posts
IMHO the LEDs are better but to what end?

I put LED on my last trailer and doubt the new one will ever get them unless I can get one heck of a deal. The way I’d look at it $30 will buy me another 5years and $70 will buy you twice that?

How long do you plan on keeping the trailer?

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
I had LEDs on my old trailer and liked them a lot. I never had to disconnect my lights before backing in. I used them for 1 1/2 years before I sold that boat. I would definitely put LEDs on my new trailer when the lights die. Sorry about your heat pump. I hope it's something simple.

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
Check out the LEDs that go high up on your trailer guides. Pipe lights or something like that.

If you install the traditional lights, open them up, take out the bulb and hose down the connections with CorrosionX when they are new. They wil last a long time.

Solder, liquid tape and then heat shrink your connections.

·
Registered
3,326 Posts
FWIW- I've had ZERO luck with the LED's I bought at BW...:mad: :52: :watchout6: BW gave me a free replacement pair each time with out any hassles, but after the 3rd set AND me seeing them almost catch the trailer on FIRE...I switched back to normal incandesent.

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I Support Tidal Fish
4,199 Posts
I had them on my old trailer,never had a problem except busting a taillight lens in 4 yrs.Hopefully the repair guy will not charge you for the rags he wiped himself on.

·
5,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Eminent brothers,
On the prospective hoseing by the heat pump guy, everything seems to work except there is no cold air when the AC is turned on. I'm thinking a freon leak somewhere in the system. The compressor is still under warrenty, but; nothing else. I was thinking about LED lights from BW and now I'm second guessing myself. I already got talked out of the trailer guide on posts as being an unacceptable addition to a trailer fit for a manly man such as myself. So the light posts are out of the question. I figured I'd just cut the existing wires at the old lights, solder on the new LED lights and I should be set. Except for the side marker lights that don't work either. Hopefully thats only a matter of some new bulbs. I'd like to do the lights once and then just forget about them forever.

·
Premium Member
4,735 Posts
GrayOne,
as my lights fail i have been replacing them with LEDs and i am very happy with them.
i have a couple side lights, too, that are out but have no power to them
i fear a broken wire in the trailer tube.
my trailer is 11 years old so i may just pull new wire
if you replace your marker lights and still no light check for a good ground to the trailer 1st before you condemn the wiring,
usually just a single 12 volt wire to those lights and the ground is through the mounting bolt
corrosion often builds up between the mounting plate and the trailer, especially on galvanized trailers

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I Support Tidal Fish
4,199 Posts
Eminet brother,just a suggestion If your going to do it ,replace the wiring also.You can always leave the old wire there (as a guide) wile you lay your new wire down.Most 12volt lighting problem comes from a bad ground /sockets/corroded wireing.Most kits come with the wireing harness anyway..mine as well use it.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Greybeard, Call on me if you need your heatpump fixed. We fix leaks also. Oh, And I'm cheap... For tidalfish guys that is...
Bout the LEDs. There great I liked em but they can be a bit costly. Trailer a lot so I had to have em as they truly are less maintenance if you do spend the extra money on the good ones..

·
Registered
134 Posts
I installed LED lights on my trailer 2 years ago and have been very happy with them, but I agree with Jaybird's suggestion to replace the wires. ;-)

Good Luck,

·
Registered
8,845 Posts
All LED trailer lights are not created equal. There is some real junk out there. The only ones I trust are the ones made by Optronics. They are not indestructible but better than most.

·
Registered
229 Posts
LED Lights

Here is a post I put on the Boat Talk board this year. I was faced with the same problem. I am very happy with the results. I bought the SeaSense (not sure of spelling) tail lights. The I bought all my marker lights from eBay.

The LED lights I have...the LED components are completely sealed.

After the advice in the post below, I also decided to solder all connections, heat shrink and coat them with liquid tape (bought at Lowes).

Hope this saves you some time.

http://www.tidalfish.com/forums/boat-talk/196714-led-trailer-lights.html

·
5,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Eminent brothers,
Well the heat pump guy found the freon leak. It was caused by 2 tubes next to the coil that were rubbing together. Since the unit is 2 months shy of the 5 year parts warrenty, the heat pump guy said the leak repair is covered under warrenty, except for the labor. Which he estimates will be 1.5 hours. So he will be done soon and I may have enough money left over and time before SWMBO gets home to sneek off and get that Cabo PT 20!!!!

Anyway back to the trailer lights. Upon further inspection either I backed up into something or Bludworm and his friends did it playing basketball, but; my left trailer light lense is cracked and the insides are in crosion city and persumed dead. It sounds like a good idea to use the old wire harness to pull through the new harness, but; I think I'll save that for another day and go with my existing harness because I'm too lazy to do the job right. I don't know what brands thay sell in BW, but; that's where I was going to get them.

·
5,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Eminent Brothers,
Well it seems I got the rear trailer lights to work. How long they stay working is another story and the side markers are still out. To be safe I think I need to go with LED's recommended by Wild Bill. So I checked out the Eastern web site and I see where they have brake parts and boat covers too!!!! I hope they take American Express

1 - 18 of 18 Posts