Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am planing a trip down to maybe Solomons late april or early may.
I will be running the boat down and staying in a hotel for a few days.
My question is if we catch fish every day , how do I get away with having fish for
3 or 4 days on the way back.
I will clean the catch at the end of the day and put on ice and keep it in the hotel room
but what do I do for the ride home :wacko:
Leon

·
Registered
4,040 Posts
leon your best bet call dnr and when you talk to them get the name of the person you talked to

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
Good advice Todd. Keep a separate cooler for fillets and keep it out of sight. That may save anything coming up if you do get boarded.

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
One of my crew for opening weekend is driving down and will be driving our catch back north by truck.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
LAW

I just got off the phone with DNR, the ruleing is
YOU ARE ALLOWED 1 FISH PER PERSON IN YOUR POSSESSION, IF CHECKED AND MORE
ARE FOUND BE PREPAIRED FOR A TICKET!!!!!

·
Registered
6,854 Posts
If you have hotel receipts for multiple days the burden of proof is on them if they're dumb enough to give you a ticket. They'd lose at the hearing. As long as the "extra" fish aren't kept on the boat there shouldn't be a problem. Hell, if they're watching you on the highway who's watching the water? Multi-day tournaments have the same problem - you have to find a place other than the boat to store your previous catch. Nobody worries about it once you're off the water.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
law

My problem is I will be running the boat down and staying and coming back by water.
So I would have the catch on the boat on the way back,
I may just C&R the first couple days

·
Registered
5,375 Posts
That changes everything. You'll never be able to prove they weren't all caught in one day. I wouldn't take the chance at $500.00 a fish.

·
Registered
5,375 Posts
That changes everything. You'll never be able to prove they weren't all caught in one day. I wouldn't take the chance at $500.00 a fish. You better find some people who want a boat ride to Baltimore.

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I'm cool!
3,364 Posts
Leon we do the same for MSSA Tourney. I think we just kept the fillets in a sperate cooler and kinda hit it below. We only kept the BIG fish we weighed in for the day. This year nothing under 42 will we keep.

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
Leon we do the same for MSSA Tourney. I think we just kept the fillets in a sperate cooler and kinda hit it below. We only kept the BIG fish we weighed in for the day. This year nothing under 42 will we keep.
MSSA has an understanding with the DNR about the tournament weekend. I forget what's involved but it's accounted for. That came from the Captain's Meeting the year before last.

·
Registered
6,854 Posts
Leon, you're screwed since you're traveling by water. It shouldn't be a problem but you know how anal a gov agency can be. I got checked last Friday and they checked every orifice...including the small deck plate opening to my bilge pump. He had to work hard to find me in a hidden spot, he saw my truck at the ramp and tracked me down - yes, some of them are anal but he couldn't get me for anything. Take the barby and have a fish fry in the evening.

·
Registered
3,050 Posts
That's a good one Tom, I was thinking the same thing when I saw the 500.00 a fish fine. Old Buddy didn't pay 500.00 a fish..

·
Premium Member
4,735 Posts
i don't think i'd try to hide the fillets in adifferent cooler, etc...that could be perceived as an attempt to cover up the catch
you'll need to make a decision that you'll be comfortable with.

IF you decide to keep them maybe you could record it with pictures with a date & time stamp on each shot to show the fish being boated and put in the cooler, cleaned, etc.
you could try it that way but there certainly is no guarantee some DNR guy won't bust you for them.

C&R may be the best bet considering your travel plans

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
Direct from DNR

Dave, sorry but No. You must eat the previous days' catch. Otherwise, do not keep any fish until the third day.
If you need any additional information please feel free to contact me directly.

Dianne Samuels
Fisheries Service B-2
580 Taylor Avenue
Annapolis, MD 21401
(410) 260-8273
Fax: (410) 260-8310
email: [email protected]

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks Dave,
That confirms what I was told over the phone.
I thought about just hiding but I am sure DNR knows all the places I would think of and
then some I never tought of

·
Registered
562 Posts
Leon, what days are thinking about? Call me, You got a trailer right? If I can get off work, I'll drag it down for you. Or if I have my new boat squared away up by then maybe we will meet you down there and I can bring your cooler back by truck with my boat? Hell we could get 2 crews going and stay at the same hotel?? :thumbup:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts