Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fished South Poormans yesterday on Lake Atlantic...my God was it FLAT and gorgeous out there!

Being so flat it made it easy for us to spot a log bobbing vertically on the way out (about 40 fathoms just east of the pimple) and it held all the mahi we could want. I finally was able to convince my crew to call it quits after about a dozen in the box and at least half of them were gaffers up to about 10-12lbs but avg around 6 or 7lbs.

Ended up putting lines in on the cold side of a break that went from 79/78.5 to 76ish (blue water was on the cold side) in about 2-250 fathoms on the 015 line just SE of the tip of S. Poormans.

Barely had the spread set out (in fact I was still hooking hoos to my dredge) when the right long popped...then right short...then left short...then who rhe hell knows, lol.

It was a pretty awesome sight seeing 4 different whites all jumping at the exact same time. Needless to say I've got a dredge on the deck, 4 or 5 reels screaming, a completely rookie crew, and need to try n run the boat all at the same time, lol.
That's the type of mayhem and chaos I'll take in my life any day of the week tho!

Ended up settling in with two thay stayed tight and only got the release on one of em after the second one zigged while the first zigged and broke him off when an angler to remain unnamed didn't realize where the line was and happened to be fighting the fish from the left side of the pit and it's jumping 20 yds to the right, lol. No worries tho cuz it was a helluva experience for those guys (and gal!)

Ended up 3/5 and saw at least 7 as well as a box full dolphin so all in all it was a great day.

Had an interesting thing happen on the run home but I'll get to that a lil later.

Got most of our bites around the 990 line between 250-400 fathoms. Water was pretty and lots of life with pilot whales, two tones, and turtles all over the place. For the most part we were by ourselves all day and saw maybe 3 or 4 other boats but that was it. Wish I could've just refueled, reloaded, and turned right around to run back but life happens and the real world beckons...hopefully we'll get another trip or two in before the seasons over.

·
Registered
188 Posts
How is going JP. Disco here from Big Minnow. Hope all is well.!!NICE CATCH!! Reminds me of our trip from Va Beach to Oregon Inlet to HAtteras. That was a weekend!!:thumbup:

1 - 2 of 2 Posts