Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Friends….

For far too long, I have borne witness to the mismanagement of our resources. For one reason or another, concerns of the recreational fishermen in our state have largely gone unheard. I don't blame the DNR, administration, or any one group in particular. We bear this burden together. But, the time for change has come.
I can’t recall if I ever asked for a favor from this community. But, I can’t recall another time in recent history when something more important to our fisheries was on the table. Many of you know about SB702. For those that don’t, it is a bill to ban nets in all tributaries of the bay from January 1st to March 15th. The bill is an answer to the mismanagement of yellow perch in Maryland. But, the reality of the situation is that the bill is much more than a statement on the yellow perch. It is a call to arms to change the way our managers look at the resource. There is a hearing this Thursday at 1pm at the Miller Building…second floor…in Annapolis. I can’t begin to express the importance of attending this meeting. For eight long years we have tried our best to work with the DNR. We have started stocking programs. We have tried to make deals. We did our best with the department. Our concerns have been cast aside for the benefit of 40 men. I am not the type to fiddle while Rome is burning. I don’t think my friends are either. This is my plea…

I ask of you good men of Maryland to rise up….RISE UP and be heard. This is your chance. This is our time. We have fought long and hard and we need your help now more than ever. Many of our peers have spent countless hours trying to protect a resource we all hold dear to our hearts. Now is the time for all of you to give a little more. One more push gentlemen….one more valiant push forward into halls of justice. We can do it. I believe in our community. I believe that inside the heart of each person reading this is a desire to see a healthy and vibrant bay. Please help us on Thursday the 15th. We need you… the bay needs you. I will pick you up. I’ll carry you into the damned building on my shoulders. Just understand that this is it. This is the time we waited for. We are finally fighting for something All the conversations on boats, by the side of rivers, on the phone, and while tying flies….all the things we want for the bay. It has come down to just sitting in a room on the second floor of a building in a town called Annapolis. That is all I ask. I hope to see you there.

Here is the info…
Guide to coming to Annapolis for this Thursday's hearing: We recommend parking at the Navy-Marine Corps Memorial Stadium. From Rt. 50, take exit 24, Rowe Blvd, south, and go approximately 3/4 mile. Make a right on Taylor Avenue, then a right into the parking lot marked by the "Gate #5" sign. Parking is $5. Two FREE shuttles, Navy Blue and State Shuttle, depart from the stadium regularly. Both will drop you off on College Avenue across the street from the Miller Senate Office Building. The hearing is in the EHE Committee Room on the second floor. Just follow all the fishermen.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Thanks for showing leadership by posting this, Tony. Since seeing Chum's post on the Chesapeake Board, I've been shifting things at work and elsewhere so that I can attend.

Listen to Tony, my friends. We all have responsibilities at work and home, but this is important enough to take some time from those and put yourself at the place where you can do the most good locally for our angling future. You'll feel good about standing shoulder to shoulder with your fellow Maryland fishermen and show the politicians that we care. Later, you'll know to yourself that you did the right thing.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts

Go Tony. We are with you.

For those that can't attend, voice your opinion by phone, mail, and email to your representatives. CCA can help you identify the politicians who most need to hear from you.

I is not just perch, it is the total philosophy of Bay management we are trying to save.

·
Registered
4,196 Posts
I'll be sending a email. I hope one from some one from Delaware will be listen to. Of course I will remind them that I was born and raise in Md. and lived their for 58 years.
This is one of the things I have been upset about for years. I saw nets put in that were illegal. Those guys do need to be brought under control. But the bill if passed must be enforced. If any of you guys go and speake. Make that point. I will be doing so in my email.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You just gotta believe... You gotta have vision... You have to look at the big picture... You gotta be there on Thurs at 1pm....

Every guy I recognize from this board that shows up will get the prettiest fly they ever saw. I'll write all your names down and I'll send them out after the meeting...:rockon:

·
Administrator
18,673 Posts
Well, I was so excited to get to this hearing that I thought it was today (Wed). I went downtown, parked, took the bus and found the room. I can report everything works as described. I got a few strange looks walking in to a hearing on medical stuff in jeans, but hey some of those people really need to relax and go fishing more ;)

The security is pretty straight forward. I had my computer bag and it just ran through. My belt buckle went off, but the guy was nice and only took 20 seconds to check on that.

Not sure I can make it tomorrow because of another commitment, but I will call as described.

If you are planning making it, it is all easy, parking, bus and location. :D

Brandon

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks to JMadert, Sawyer, Sikorski, DJones, Ken Tidy, from the fly board... and a host of others from the rec community..
My head still hurts from listening to rhetoric... The watermen said we wanted to "ethinic cleanse" them... That's what I had to endure... I still don't feel 100%.

Here's a breakdown from Robert...
"These hearings during the day definitely cut against us getting recreational fishermen to Annapolis. This isn't going to change, so we have to accept that every year, one time, possibly twice, between January and April, we're going to have to take a day off to come to Annapolis. Work extra hours the day before and after, work on Saturday to make it up, or take the day off. We've all taken a day off to go fishing, let's take a day off for the fish.

It's not too late to tell your senator you support SB 702. Click here and take action.

The bright spot was DNR supported the bill with amendments, which in a nutshell finally, for the first time, acknowldege our grievances, that current regulations don't give yellow perch a chance to spawn and that there is an unfair de facto allocation favoring commercial interests, and put into law wording that says DNR will adopt regulations by January 1, 2008 to address those grievances. Consider it a promise but one with accountabilty. It's more than we've got in eight years.

Again, it's not too late, take a minute to send your senator an email. They've heard all the arguments, just tell them to support SB 702. Click here to take action. If you want to call your senator, click their name when you go to the above link and register and you'll get their phone #."

Here's a realistic break down from Hammer..

CCA presented a solid well thought out case. We backed that case with solid facts,

Harvest reports from the last few years showing a steady harvest,

CCA showed the increase in nets with GPS numbers, photos all over layed on maps to reach the same harvest numbers.

CCA showed with their own data that other impacted fisheries were less then 3% of the total reported harvest of finfish.

CCA showed how loopholes allowed the keeping of yellow perch during Feb allowing for a massed harvest on March 1st.

CCA pointed out the impact to local business with the reduction in recreational spending dollars

CCA used their own data showing that more yellow perch departed Maryland then was reported caught.

CCA showed that enforcement of existing regulations were impossible for anyone to enforce.

CCA presented their own data showing that commercial harvesters removed 95% of the yellow perch from Maryland's waters leaving 5% to be caught by the recreational anglers.

CCA showed that DNR had no idea the number of nets that are being placed.

What CCA heard from the other side

Nets are humane for fish harvest, unlike the hook and line recreational fishermen.

CCA is lying

Nets weren't placed for the taking of yellow perch but to provide spawning structure and habitat for spawning fishing in the rivers.

CCA is lying

Hoop nets never catch yellow perch

CCA is lying

Recreational fisherman alone are responsible for the damage done to yellow perch and all the other spawning fish.

CCA is lying

If watermen can't place nets in spawning areas in the spring they would lose 6 million dollars.

CCA is lying

There are no nets above Hills Bridge on the Patuxent, never have been and if since CCA is lying about this CCA is lying about everything else.

CCA is lying

Ten's of thousands of yellow perch are sold every spring in Maryland, NOT shipped out of state.

CCA is lying

Yellow perch allow a cheaper shipping rate when fish are shipped out of state because they help to fill up loads.

CCA is lying

CCA is promoting ethnic cleansing

CCA is lying

All members of CCA are retired rich people who only want all the fish for themselves.

CCA is lying

I can't feed my children if you pass this bill

CCA is lying

My 2yr son wants to be a waterman and CCA is robbing his heritage

CCA is lying

I can't make a living from crabs, rockfish or oysters and now CCA wants to steal this from me and my family

CCA is lying.

MWA emptied the barrel in terms of folks showing up yesterday. They out numbered recreational anglers 2 to 1. They answered none of the questions, presented no facts and told everyone about how they can't make a living. These daytime hearings favor commercial folks who don't answer to a boss in a 9 to 5 job. So what can you do now?
Use the grass roots system located at WWW.CCAMD.ORG and call your senator and tell them how you feel.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts