Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, this is my first post

What are your thoughts on leader length? Do you prefer different length leaders when trolling a solo rig(spoon, tube, parachute) compared to trolling a tandem(swim shad, bucktails, parachutes). Do you think longer leaders catch more fish or bring more action to lures compared to shorter leaders?

·
Registered
222 Posts
I will tell you my theory-method and there is no right or wrong answer because most Bay species, especially rockfish, are not leader shy and the Bay is not that clear, except certain times. At certain times, such as early to mid-Spring, the Bay can be extremely clear.

I tend to use three arms lengths or more of leader. One reason is that if I am trolling multiple lines through a zone that holds fish, good marks, I might pass through that area several times.

The intent is not to spook or scatter the fish and to pick up another fish or two on each pass.

Have some of these fish been caught and released previously? Most female fish born in the Bay return to the Bay year annually. Are they more wary over time? Possibly.

A striped bass or rockfish is in the bass family. While everyone says rockfish are "dumb," I tend to think they are somewhat dumb when in a feeding frenzy but more wary other times.

·
Premium Member
26,251 Posts
IMHO - The diameter of the leader will effect lure action the most. Notice I did not say pound test - mono can vary greatly in diameter vs stated breaking strength.

Example - a small spoon fished tied on heavy 60 lb mono will barely move , yet same lure on thin 30 lb will dart around.

Other thing is to add a second split ring to spoons - or tie a small loop knot. This lets spoon move freely.

Here's my general rigging. For large spoons / tubes - I like a 25-30 foot leader with a ball bearing swivel in the middle. This allows the lure room to move.

For bucktails / parachutes - I use about 6 feet for singles and 6 and 12 for tandem ( heavier on 6 foot ). This is when used off a three way without extra weight.

If I do use and in line - I'll use same rig with three way but put 20 feet or so of leader between weight and in line. Is it needed - who knows but it works for me. Others clip weight right to three way and do OK.

·
Registered
11,249 Posts
If you can use a short enough leader to reel the fish in to be landed without having someone else have to hand line the fish in at the end game then that makes me feel like I actually caught the fish. I prefer to be able to reel the fish all the way in myself .

1 - 5 of 5 Posts