Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well gave it a shot tonight after people's advice......there were definitely plenty of schoolies around the pilings, i only got one at about 16 that went back but the kid standing right beside me, i mean shoulder to shoulder pulled in about 10 from 16-24 and his 24 was fat and healthy.....i was using 1/4 and 3/8 jig heads with gulps and as well as 1/4 and 3/8 bucktail combos and couldnt buy a fish except for that baby so i asked him what he was using and he told me 1 oz jig heads with a sinker so i guess that was the ticket......ill know from now on to bring some heavier stuff......would have posted pics if i caught any fish to take pics of.....its funny how things like half an ounce can make such a huge difference

oh yeah if you didnt catch it, i was fishing from the beach.....for some reason i have the surf fishing bug right now

·
Registered
3,361 Posts
i know a young guy that worked @ bubbas would stand on the beach on same side as bubbas @ nite & cast a 1 oz buck w/ heavy braid out almost to the light then let it settle around a pylon, get nailed & drag the fish out & around to the sand.

·
Registered
218 Posts
The heavier the better because the current runs hard through there and the big boys hang out on the bottom. I've caught them up to 38" from the beach in waders using 1 1/2 oz. cannon-ball type lead heads with 5" grub tails.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
WATCH OUT...wading the Lesner Bridge can and will get you a ticket...we fought that fight last year and LOST...Va Beach City Council shot us down...it is a VIOLATION of CITY ORDINANCES to WADE into the waters around the Lesner Bridge...my waders cry out for freedom...that's some awesome water to wade fish but the powers that be wont allow it...its either dry feet and a heaver rod, a kayak or a boat...

·
Registered
3,496 Posts
Another reason to use the heavier lead head jig is to be able to cast to the channel there are more and bigger fish out there.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts