Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
I'm just here whining and hoping it turns into a lesson learned. If you're like me, one of the invaluable tools you have to find fish is a history of successful catches marked on various ledges or other structure throughout the bay/ocean... lots of which are not available or accurate on the chart itself. You know... a dropoff that looks good but you've only ever caught on a small section of it that has a hard bottom, or that piling at CBBT that almost always has a fish on it, even though the one on the left and right never seem to, that chunk of rubble outside the main artificial reef that always seems to hold a better grade of seabass, small humps/holes in the middle of the bay/ocean that seem to hold fish every time the current is just so, etc.

Although Garmin customer service was very efficient at getting me a refurbished unit for a fraction of the price of a new one (the device is about 4 years old), when my screen went black a month or so ago it meant it was too late to back up my waypoints. The unit was working, but there was no way for me to navigate through the menus without the screen. And garmin customer service does not do data transfer from old units to replacement ones.

Bottom line - I'm fishing blind and starting from scratch... going to spend a lot of time re-entering fishing spots, running over structure with the sonar and marking the better features, etc. All of this would have been avoided if I had periodically backed up onto an SD card, and the cost associated with that now seems rather inconsequential.

doh doh doh doh doh doh doh doh doh doh doh

·
Registered
720 Posts
That is good advice and easily done with an SD card. Garmin has a pay site called Homeport, I have never been there but its for chart plotting, naming waypoints, etc.

Kevin- We can read your whining which is better than the alternative.:thumbup:

·
Premium Member
18,673 Posts
Sorry to hear about your plight, that stinks! I'd only add that we should all back up not only our way points, but any data files. I lost a hard drive two years ago that I had some stuff I would have like to have. We tried everything to recover the drive, but it was dead. doh:52:Now I have a back up and and a back up of it for all things data in my life.:yes:

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Karma for not sharing:))

Just think of it as a challenge. Now you get to re-learn the bay again. If you want I'll give you the numbers for the Rips. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
Waypoints are WAY more important than your settings, but i also go through and write down all my settings......i.e. chart speed, ping speed, noise reductions, etc.........

When they get cleared it takes me a while to get it back to normal without my notes........pain in the arse.

·
Registered
26 Posts
On your replacement unit you should go through and write down the exact steps to back up your waypoints. Then just try to do it blindly on the old unit. It's worth a try. I did this on a dvd player years ago when the menu's were all in Chinese.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Josh-If ya need help finding your spots I'd be glad to help. but it'll cast ya a few spots :)

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
On your replacement unit you should go through and write down the exact steps to back up your waypoints. Then just try to do it blindly on the old unit. It's worth a try. I did this on a dvd player years ago when the menu's were all in Chinese.
That is a great idea. Too bad Garmin won't send you a new one until you send in the old one for evaluation :(

·
Registered
8,197 Posts
Sorry you lost your spots, Josh. I bet it won't take as long as you think to recover them. I couldn't transfer mine when I got a new system last March, so I know how you feel.

Back in the day before GPS, we kept up with open water fishing spots by lining up landmarks. It's a little harder on the Bay than it is on the lakes, but I still do it, sometimes subconsciously. All you need is to find something like a tower, bridge piling, tree, range marker, etc., then line it up with something in the same line of sight directly behind it. To find a spot at the mouth of the Chester, I might line up a yellow range marker with Baltimore light. After you get one line, turn at roughly a right angle and look for a second set of landmarks that will line up one behind the other. Using the mouth of the Chester again, I'd turn and line up the post on the Love Point rockpile with the ferry dock on Kent Island. (That's a real spot and a very good one at the right time of year.) Two lines will get you close enough to fish. If you can get a third one in another direction you can drop a jig in a bucket. I know people who write down their marks, but you usually remember them once you get close. That obviously won't work in the ocean or in places where the Bay is wide with no visible structure, but it's great for the areas I usually fish.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Sorry to hear it as well! I just put a GPS on my boat for the first time this year and haven't used it yet. I got a big kick out of how it mentions not to navigate with it, in other words look where you are going! :) Personally i feel it helps to read the water better with just the depth/fishfinder and plan to keep doing it that way for the most part. I have been in complete fog and been able to end up where i thought i should because I PAY ATTENTION when i am on the water, sorry to highjack your thread a bit but I have fished with some un named fisherman whom I think rely on GPS too much:)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts