Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't want to jinx myself but I have not had a problem in 3 trips North of the bridge. This past weekend I did have to deal with a couple leaves. I have spoken to people both north and south of the bridge and there is no doubt jellies are a pain in the a$$. I myself fish board lines anywhere from 3-5 bars. Those that I know who have problems have been covering the water column, staggering board lines 10 bars, 8 bars etc.... Maybe try shorting up board lines and see if that helps. Rock feed by looking up, well with this stained water there feeding by feel but its better to be shallow then too deep. Food for thought.....

·
Registered
238 Posts
Jellies on every line for me today. Shortest line was 60'. Longest 150 double bucktail, no added weight. Had a small umbrella with no added weight out 70'. That was probably my shallowest line, still snotty. Bloody Point area.

·
Registered
238 Posts
boards. Boat rods had them too,50,60' with weight. Another thought - longer lines give you a lot more surface area to "catch" jellies that slide down that line to the front of your bait.

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hopefully more responses come in. See if we cant try and narrow down a depth.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Was hit hard again by them yesterday just a tad south of the bridge...no rhyme or reason that I can see. After reading about them it seems once the water temps warm a tad we will be okay but not until then. checked my lures every 20 mins yeasterday and most times they were dirty.

·
Registered
963 Posts
I think I am done trolling, I will probably just chum.
I tried shortening up my board lines to 1, 1.5, and 2 bars from 5-7 bars. I think it helped as far as the jellies. My umbrellas had jellies everytime I checked them. I must have cleaned my 12 rods 6-8 times within 5 hrs, each time there were only a handful of baits without Jellies. It also seemed like the middle board rod never had any Jellies.
I also ended up with a skunk, I was on the west side from Deale to Tolley's, zig zagging east to west.
I also had a bait with a missing tail.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Had board rods out from 60 to 120'. Deep boat rod umbrella w/16oz 75' & a WWB spoon w/2oz chute as [email protected] 300'. Trolled around 84a, BP Monday AM, then up east channel edge and around ship anchorage and down west side to just south of TP late AM to PM. Jellies seemed worse north than south (opposite of last time out in same general areas). Water temps did not reach above 52,often lower. Second outing of 8+ hours in past 3 days and second skunk. Thinking I might try to chum the stink off the boat since my fishin buddies are getting bored.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
...Jellies seemed worse north than south (opposite of last time out in same general areas). Water temps did not reach above 52,often lower....
I'm going tomorrow, and I'm going to try and find some warmer waters to avoid these "winter jellies" I read recently that they like colder "boreal" waters, and I posted some links on them here (5th post down):

http://www.tidalfish.com/forums/showthread.php/442010-Educate-me-on-Sea-Snot-Brown-Jellies-please

In previous years, I've noticed that the "snots" were not spread out evenly, so I will also look for clearer water and hope that is coincides with warmer water temperatures...

·
Registered
518 Posts
I was out yesterday afternoon and while it was beautiful, and I was very happy to be out, the amount of jellies we encountered on every line, whether deep or shallow, was unbelievable. At one point, we were coming across the bay from Poplar and had 3 Drags sound. It wasn't like a hit, but they were just slowing clicked out. We started checking lines, and every one had whole globs of jelly fish on them. I'm convinced we hit a ball of them....we cleaned them and reset the lines and 20 mins later when we checked them again they were all covered with them. We gave up and headed for the barn at that point. BTW anybody have a good way to get the Jelly Fish off?

I'll say it again though, it was beautiful out there and we had a great time regardless, But I don't remember being this hostile towards jelly fish since we took up water skiing in jeans when I was a kid.

DBM

·
Registered
678 Posts
Saturday morning where we dropped lines the water was good and clear and we had no issues with Jelly..... Mid afternoon we noticed the stained look to the water out in the deeper water and we started having Jelly issues.....

·
Registered
617 Posts
Trolled for 3 1/2 hours Weds north of the BB and there were no jellys. I checked the lines every 40 mins with all of the warnings.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
I was south of the bay bridge today from around Matapeake to PI, eastern shore side and all I did was remove jellies from my 11 lines all day. Never pulled up a bait that did not have a jelly on it. Didn't matter if I was in 35 feet or 100+ feet, they were there. I seemed to be marking a good bit of bait on the east side in 70-90 feet of water. Zero fish, one rubber band broke but not sure if it was a knockdown. I kind of doubt it with the luck I had today. Trolling can be pretty boring, but at least it's usually relaxing once you get the spread out, but not today, given the jellies.

·
Registered
352 Posts
I was south of the bay bridge today from around Matapeake to PI, eastern shore side and all I did was remove jellies from my 11 lines all day. Never pulled up a bait that did not have a jelly on it. Didn't matter if I was in 35 feet or 100+ feet, they were there. I seemed to be marking a good bit of bait on the east side in 70-90 feet of water. Zero fish, one rubber band broke but not sure if it was a knockdown. I kind of doubt it with the luck I had today. Trolling can be pretty boring, but at least it's usually relaxing once you get the spread out, but not today, given the jellies.
I was on the western shore between thomas point and chesapeake beach and it was a real mess out there. I had 15 rods and 2 dummy lines out and we cleaned baits from 6 to 6 every 45 minutes with most the baits being a mess. If it had been just me I would have worn myself out and given in long before but I was out there with 2 other people so by the end of the day we worked out a great system lol

·
Registered
219 Posts
I was on the western shore all day Thomas point to couple miles south and then all the way back to the bridge. Pulling 17 rods.. Full Reset about 5 times ... Jellies were a mess.. Did manage one fat 34" er.

I was pulling the large globs off the parachute and sitting down and spraying it with the raw wash, then a quick brush out and go... Time consuming, but I feel like the bait looking and running right is the most important part of the game...

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
I was by myself and I knew that if a rod didn't get hit within about 5 minutes after putting it back out, it was not going to get hit at all. I was out from 6:30AM to about 3.00 in the afternoon before I started bringing in the spread for good, which takes awhile when your by yourself. I did get a nice workout. I now have Popeye arms after yesterday. Funny, the change in regulations and the slot system will have less of an effect on future rockfish production than the jellies IMO. I guess that's actually a good thing. Way to go jellies.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Fished late yesterday from the mouth of the Magothy toward LP and had none on the western side and tons on the eastern side, depth didn't matter.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts