Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· Registered
3,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i tell you what....if he aint the man i dont know who is....how could you be more prouderof a kid....:yes:not only did he get me up at 4:00 but he had his buddy with him ...who wound up getting in on the action......meet Stephen...Charlies buddy...to start it off, they went to dump the gut bucket from last nights kill...i told Charlie to take his gun...good thing , he killed a nice doe:thumbup:told Steve to hunt his "lucky stand" which he did and killed a nice little 7 pointer:clap::clap:, he couldnt be happier..and neither could I:thumbup:he thought he missed but i kept his spirits up till the Lighs showed up...heres some pics of some pretty happy boys....oh yeah ..i happened to kill me a little "fifi" as charlie would call her...tasty though:yes::D

Attachments

· Registered
3,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
heres what we do after the fact..:thumbup:gotta teach em all stages of the game...the sooner they learn....the sooner i dont have to do it all:yes:they did a fine job

Attachments

· Registered
1,114 Posts
Ever use a truck to skin

Nice work Charlie! With all the deer you've been getting, I was wondering if you ever used your truck to skin one out. I learned about six years ago and I'm hooked. I'll have to tell ya how it's done next time I see you down at Buzz's. Mark

· Registered
402 Posts
merogers - Maybe it's because I'm still young but I've skun them out that way too, still I enjoy doing it the old fashioned way those boys are doing it in the pictures. It doesn't take that long and isn't all that hard. Personal preference and all, I guess.

· Registered
290 Posts
very sad

now that you folk have 3,749 deer this season how about letting the little one live a couple of years so they can get some meat on there bones. them deer aint no bigger that some dogs ive seen. i hunted about 6-7 years,when i finaly shot one i felt bad and will not hunt again its not for me.Guess that is why i like fishing so much, i can catch them and release them. Im not against hunting shoot all the big older ones you want. just let the little ones go.after all you said that your freezer was already filled the other day .QUALITY not QUANTITY. just a "LITTLE" to think about. john

· Registered
3,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
:yawn:john i appreciate your reply,:yawn:but the little ones eat so much better than the big ones:yes:when i want a roast.....i roast a little one....burger, i kill a big one....sausage...once again a bigger one...just so happens i dont have many roasts in the freezer....not only that , when the land owner says "kill em " we kill em:thumbup:he likes roasts , we kill little ones for roasts....i appreciate the fact that you dont hunt...nothing wrong with that...not for everyone ...but we love it:thumbup::thumbup:

· Registered
402 Posts
If the landowner is saying to kill them all he's looking at it from the point of damage. Big or little, a deer is a damaging machine to some crops. I hardly ever criticize anyone for a deer that they kill. Big or small, they killed it for a reason. If it's a huge buck there are more reasons than just the food. If it's a small one it's to eat it. You will never hear me speak a bad word from someone who is strictly killing to eat either.

· Registered
1,114 Posts
Same deal

My landowner has the same policy, kill 'em all. During muzzleloader season I told her that I passed on a small button buck hoping something bigger would come along. I might as well have crapped in her living room. Her response "And the problem was?" She loves when I give her rockfish, smoked blues from the summer, and in her words "backstraps from Bambi because they're so tender." BTW Ricky, I've skinned deer a number of ways, just asking Charlie about using machinery because sometimes I'm pressed for time and using a vehicle is way fast. Google it and eventually a Mississippi dept. of game site pops up, once you do it and shoot a lot of deer, you won't go back. :yes:

· Registered
342 Posts
:yawn:john i appreciate your reply,:yawn:but the little ones eat so much better than the big ones:yes:when i want a roast.....i roast a little one....burger, i kill a big one....sausage...once again a bigger one...just so happens i dont have many roasts in the freezer....not only that , when the land owner says "kill em " we kill em:thumbup:he likes roasts , we kill little ones for roasts....i appreciate the fact that you dont hunt...nothing wrong with that...not for everyone ...but we love it:thumbup::thumbup:
Very diplomatic response! I was thinking that if he doesn't hunt and you guy's aren't breaking any laws and obviously you use all the meat WHAT DIFFERENCE DOES IT MAKE! Ya'll keep whackin' and stackin'!:clapping2:

Congratulations to the two young men. Nothing like seeing the youth out there and learning---being successful and killing one is a bonus.

Good job guys!:clapping2:

· Registered
402 Posts
I've done the truck method with a friend's setup. He has a pulley up high with a cable that runs to an electric winch. You hang the deer by that one. Then he has another electric winch mounted at floor level. Crank the deer up. Hook the cable on the hide. ZIP! I'm not saying it's not a good way, just not the way that I prefer, and I've had to do many, many deer before.

· Registered
397 Posts
now that you folk have 3,749 deer this season how about letting the little one live a couple of years so they can get some meat on there bones. them deer aint no bigger that some dogs ive seen. i hunted about 6-7 years,when i finaly shot one i felt bad and will not hunt again its not for me.Guess that is why i like fishing so much, i can catch them and release them. Im not against hunting shoot all the big older ones you want. just let the little ones go.after all you said that your freezer was already filled the other day .QUALITY not QUANTITY. just a "LITTLE" to think about. john
Keep Up The Good Work Boys!!!!!

I hope you remember this statement the next time one of those little deer steps out in front of your car while you're traveling 55 MPH down the highway or when you go to Farm Fresh to buy a gallon of milk and its $4.00 a gallon. My club hunts a dairy farm, there is a standing order to kill them all and we try every year but it never works because we kill 70 - 80 every year. Every deer that enters our land owner's fields is taking food from the mouth of the Dairy Cattle. He only receives limited crop damage insurance because 100% of his crop is feed for the cattle. Trophies are nice but you can't eat the antlers.

· Registered
15,397 Posts
My landowner has the same policy, kill 'em all. During muzzleloader season I told her that I passed on a small button buck hoping something bigger would come along. I might as well have crapped in her living room. Her response "And the problem was?" She loves when I give her rockfish, smoked blues from the summer, and in her words "backstraps from Bambi because they're so tender." BTW Ricky, I've skinned deer a number of ways, just asking Charlie about using machinery because sometimes I'm pressed for time and using a vehicle is way fast. Google it and eventually a Mississippi dept. of game site pops up, once you do it and shoot a lot of deer, you won't go back. :yes:
When you are crop damage hunting , you need to be in a different mindset. If it's brown it's down...........little, big or in between. It's not hunting and it's not for every body. I have killed 52 deer in a year crop damage hunting and it's nothing but work because every deer went for food. The last thing you want to tell a farmer is you passed a small one up looking for a big one...........I know first hand:clapping2: I don't crop damage hunt any more because it takes the excitement out of regular hunting but some one still has to do it. Deer eat between 6-8 pounds of food per day and if you have 30 deer on your farm.......it's between 180-240 pounds of crops per day. My thoughts and good hunting............Gary

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.