Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have few questions about hatteras. im going down for the first week in may with my wife and taking the boat and will get a slip either at village marina, or teaches lair. unless anyone has any other suggestions.?

1. what vhf channel does the fleet use?
2.im trying to break my wife in easy on offshore fishing, im thinking of heading around the tower, or rockpile unless some of you have some other good areas to try?
3.what is the most favorble wind direction for h.i.?

Thanks for all your help.....Frank...

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
most favorable wind direction...NONE

Seriously, the place is windy and 15 knots nearshore means the stream will be rough. look for westerly winds...sw or w. se, stay home. N or NE and you'll get out no problem but the stream will be rough.

as for where to go, it changes all the time...but somewhere east of dslt or a bit south of there should be a good bet. dolphin fishing should be good and might be closer to shore than you would think (80 to 100ft of water)

good luck when you go!!!

glenn

·
Registered
183 Posts
I agree with persisitance. No wind, is ideal! Just got back from Hatteras last night and it was cranking 20-30 mph N-NW all weekend. Plan for wind/weather and stay a couple days so you might get a window of opportunity. Teach's Lair sould be suitable for what you want to do. Stay with the big boats and you will probable find some fish. Tuna fishing is great March/April.

·
Registered
3,317 Posts
Channel 1 and 80. They also talk on expanded channels.

No wind is good, but SW, S and SE are horrible. Look for the eddies on Rutgers.

·
Registered
959 Posts
If you don't have or are not familar with Loran, get a chart with Loran on it. Common communication is 250 on the 950 line and so on.

I forget the name of the ice house, but it is at McKlesky Lane and RT 12. I think you get an entire garbage can full of ice for about 5 or seven dollars.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
sea slueth
i heard about that deal with the ice .. that is a sweet deal i charted a few boats out of there in the past and couldnt remember what channel they were on. we fished one time at the 000`s but like i said im trying to break my wife in easy... so i will hang around the light tower and surrounding areas.. thanks again.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just copying the mail.

Brandon just a short message to let you know I've been copying the mail and realy enjoy this forum. I'm glad to anounce after two years in dry dock in Lews Delaware this summer the Bushwacker will once again terrorize the pelagics in the mid-atlantic and will be docked in Wachapreague by June.

·
Registered
1 Posts
hatteras

fish out of teachs captain crazy slip 60. fleet usually on ch1. may i usually fish from rockpile all the way to 880. good time of year for anything.

·
Registered
62 Posts
beware of the inlet

Agree with everyones comments about wind direction, etc.

The inlet can be really rough on an out going tide and a SW/SE wind. The current SCREAMS in the inlet and if it opposes a high SW/SE wind or a large SE swell, it can be a real *****. In my 25 years fishing Hatteras, the worst inlet conditions I ever encountered were a calm wind, a max ebb tide and large SE wells.

Also, follow the charters out of the inlet, at least the first time. It can be very confusing where the ferry channel to Okrakoke(sp) Island intersects the inlet channel.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts