Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to spend some money on a medium sized lever drag reel here soon, not trying to buy too big, want something around the size of a 20 reel or a 15 reel (width) to pair up with a shimano trevala 6'6 medium heavy butterfly jig rod, was looking into avet, penn, shimano, release, been wondering what you guys think would be a good lever drag reel for the rod, trying to have something small enough to handle flounder and togs but big enough to handle a cobia or a drum when I do go chumming or drum fishing, want something with a decent amount of drag at full, what do you guys think? want something fairly light to match with the trevala, any suggestions? Any info would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
337 Posts
check out daiwa saltist. avets are nice. never played with a release but people seem to like them. for the price they should like them. keep in mind with most of these reels the possibility exists to upgrade your drag by upgrading your drag washers

·
Flounder -r- Fluky
5,925 Posts
Flounder and Togs take finess with a sensative feel, Cobia and drum take muscle ........ seems hard to get one for both, wouldn't want to flounder fish with a TLD ....... I like the Trevala path, Avet SX is a reel that is small and light, and fits your thumb in it perfectly. Not a Cobia rig but great for Flounder and Togs

·
Registered
374 Posts
Shimano TR2000LD Charter Special will catch anything you want in the bay if you spool it with braid. it holds 500 yards of 50lb power pro and if your crafty you can add a topless frame to it

·
Registered
75 Posts
Just switched to fishing all TLD 15's with 65lb power pro and I use them for everything now from cobia to flounder. Very happy with them so far.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I just got a release SG for my birthday. It's on a 6'6" MH and I must say, it feels incredible. It's the weight of my bass rigs and not too bulky except for the big handle but that will come in handy for a good sized fish. I haven't caught anything on it yet but it casts a mile. I really like that it's made here in Virginia and has a lifetime warranty. I live in Richmond and green top had these and the LGs on sale this week. You basically get a free boat rod since they are selling combos for the price of the reel itself. I have a saltist 30 I really like but it's a lot heavier and not as much drag. But you can't really compare the two since one is a lever drag and the other a star with level wind. I haven't tried the avet.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I've been very happy with my release sg. If you want drag power nothing in that size range comes close to the ~30# drag rating of that reel. And as mentioned above, green top generally stocks the combos also if you are looking for a jigging setup, the two piece jigging rod it comes with is very nice, however if you're looking to cast it then the 5'6" rod will be too short for you. If you buy one be sure to get the power handle! They didn't have the reel color I wanted with that handle but they were helpful and switched handles with another reel.

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
Medium heavy rod really sounds like overkill for flounder and tog unless you are talking wreck fishing in deep water. We don't use that heavy gear fishing the trolley cars at Chincoteague in 65 ft of water. I do use a med-heavy rod in Ocean City, Md. On a headboat for flounder, tog etc.

I have two Avets and they sure are smooth, light weight and well made and not really that expensive. Have no doubt they will handle anything the bay has to offer. Just bought an Abu Toro Wench which is in the same price range and is really light weight. Can't wait to use it. I have a Daiwa Saltist that was around $170.00 and am disappointed because it is just plain to heavy to hold for any length of time. It's a good reel but more suited for a rod holder in my opinion which would make it a great chumming rod.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Shimano torium is another good candidate
I was thinking about a torium 14, good reel for the price, very smooth & have a lot of gear, but I do kind of want a lever drag, but I will probably end up getting either a TLD, charter special, or go with another torium or possibly a tekota for the levelwind feature

1 - 14 of 14 Posts