Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How effective will a 50 to 75 grain powder charge be ona whitetail? My seven year old wants to kill a deer bad and I'm thinking if I drop the powder charge he can handle the recoil but will it provide enough a$$ to do the job.

DEAN

·
Registered
43 Posts
I am by far no expert with black powder, but I would think 75 to 80 gr charge with a light bullet in the low 200's might not be a bad combination, hopefully the shot will be closer than further, I have also known guys I've hunted with use a 50cal sabot casing with a 45 cal bullet, maybe a thought, if you can kill one with a 410 slug or 20ga. this combo should be fine, but like I said I am no expert but have killed quite a few with the muzzleloader, maybe more input from others on the board would be good. Hope this helped

Also go with a quality hollow point for more expansion.

·
Registered
838 Posts
The most important part is shot placement and range. The charges you're thinking about would do the job as long as they're not long range shot and placed in th boiler room. After all a .22 will kill a deer if placed right. Try to work up a load that the little one can handle and let him have at it. Don't you just love getting the next generation involved. Can't wait to take my grandson out.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I'm shooting a cva magbolt 150 / 45 cal. with a loose 100grain pyrodex charge and killed 2 last week within 30 yds and crushed both with a 200 grain spire sabot.

I know you can go down to 75 grains and this bullet and still have good results.

Very little kick.

Bill

·
Registered
99 Posts
Dean, there are some guys at work that shoot in Winchester as a group, they do traditional arms and cannon like frontier stuff. He says they shoot 1500 rounds a weekend between he and his sons. They shoot still targets at 100yrd and only use 50 to 70 grains of ffg black powder. I would think a 45cal. would be a great gun for him with 75grain powder and a good bullet.

Dean, I will b-mail you on a good deal I found for my wife and son.

Straght Shooting,
BILL[grin]

·
Registered
678 Posts
My kids hunt with their Youth Remington ML700 .50 Cal and use 50gr of 777, that load is deadly. They are pushing a 295gr. CVA Power Belt Aero Tip. The kids and gun group well with this load out to 80 yards and the kids can shoot it repeadedly at practice time without any ill effect on the shoulder.
I was sceptical abou the load when I first tried it with them so last year I tested it in the early black powder season on the Eastern Shore by taking a nice 7 pointer at 60 yards, the deer dressed at 175lbs, slug performed well tucked in right behind the shoulder.

·
Registered
783 Posts
I shoot 80 grains of loose powder. All my shots are under 100 yards. Also, check the regs in your state to see what the minimum charge is, if any.

·
Registered
171 Posts
My niece hunts with a youth muzzleloader with two 30 grain pellets and killed a deer last season at about 65 yards no problem. She is shooting a 50 cal 200 grain thompson shockwave sabot. It will be fine for your son.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I shoot 90 grains with a 240 grain 45 caliber sabot. Got a clean kill on a doe at 75 yards last weekend. I think you would be okay with less powder. Your son is better off feeling comfortable shooting and hitting the deer in the kill zone than if he is scared of the kick and has trouble shooting straight.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts