Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'll keep it short (if I can) but wanted to thank Capt Chris Newsome for a great trip on Saturday night. How many guides will book a charter with two days advanced notice and fish all night in an open boat? With three other fly anglers on board? I doubt too many. This was a learning experience, it can't always be a catching experience although we each did well and probably caught into double digits. I finally got to experience the true meaning of seeing fish in the light line. Forget about taking out too much line, heck even Chris's Bow lights from his bran new, fishing machine 22' panga would attract fish and they'd almost use the shadow of the hull to hide in.

I think we had a few shots at some very decent fish but they'd slowly slip into the darkness like a ghost. The larger silhouettes could be seen just beneath the hordes of average teen" inch fish but once you got close to them I think the vague, much larger silhouette would just vanish beneath the school of keepers.

I think we managed a few triple hook ups, more than a few doubles too. But I can't stress how important and how much of a learning experience it was. I feel very confident to do it in my boat or as a hoe and I know the two areas we were in were vital to our success.

So, thanks to the guys that put it together. Who else is that hardcore these days? Good true hardcore fishermen companions are a rare breed these days but Tissy Furnes and Dave Jameson are top notch guys ready to jump at the chance to leave DC suburbs at 7pm, arrive in striper alley at 10pm, and fish till sunrise without a second thought only to drive home immediately afterwards. Heck even Sebastian went to his sons basketball game at 11am the next morning. No one napped for too long while I drove, kept me alert the whole time with fish stories, what else do you need. I'll tell you, another trip this January with fewer eelers to contend with. Even though I half heartedly tried to participate with frozen dead eels a few casts, the fly rod had the advantage this trip and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Till next time.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Yes, it was a very neat trip. Certainly not for the faint but most definitely for the weary as I feel I still have not gotten my sleep back. Jon and Dave are always game and good dudes to fish with and pretty tolerant of my non-stop chatter and eternal optimism, with Chris capably managing us and the boat with a good-natured manner.

Temps were in the 20s. Luckily, very little wind. Catching was not as good as past trips but still pretty darn good as we all hit double figures on stripes to 28'. There were a few bigger fish about but not as many as hoped for. I did hook a good-sized one at the end of the evening that took a lot of line from the 10 weight before wrapping me on a piling and breaking off. Was it a Harry H-style 40" plus pig? Who knows? But I will optimistically say yes and the memory will keep me primed for another trip again.

Lots of smaller fish about and it was neat to see them up on the surface facing into the current at the shadow's edge. We got so close at times that you literally could hit them on the head with your rod tip. Enticing them to strike was more like nymphing than the usual strip-strip. Here are a few pics.

Dave with that evening's dinner.

Me with the first fish of the night.

What the lightline looks from the stern while underway.

Chris getting us close with the 6'5 Teutonic fishing machine looming behind.

Jon and Dave with a double. Sorry about the crappy pic guys.

Me with a late night schoolie. No I had not been drinking.

·
Registered
4,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
One more comment.... it looked like there were a few "Bran new" lights under the brige. These new lights put out an insane amount of light. Maybe one of those energy saving LED bulbs or something but unfortunately they were on the ocean side, the wrong side for the tide we were fishing. Hopefully in time they'll change all the lights like those few. I couldn't tell you exactly where they were but I could get you close.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Seb and Jon--

I had a blast. It was great getting out with you guys, and it was nice to learn the game down there at the CBBT lights. It's an awfully cool way to fish; the combination of a few beers, some Red Bull and a little sleep deprivation can make it downright surreal! Kudos to Chris Newsome for taking us out for a midnight trip on such short notice. We had fun with a lot of fish--I can't imagine how spectacular that could be when the hogs are around. I hope to make that a regular trip every December or January.

dj

·
Registered
4,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
http://www.tidalfish.com/forums/fly-fishing-anglers/247657-wicked-case-striper-thumb.html

Check out this report. Chris sold the JB and his pathfinder and wanted a boat that could do the shallow water spec fishing and the CBBT. The Panga worked well for us the other night, even when the wind picked up for the ride home. We probably traveled some 30 miles that night in freezing temperatures with a moderate chop and swells. The Suzuki 140 was plenty of power too.

·
Registered
18 Posts
One more comment.... it looked like there were a few "Bran new" lights under the brige. These new lights put out an insane amount of light. QUOTE]

Nice report.....I was out there on Wed night and saw those new lights too...man they are so much brighter then the others....I did not fish it either due to the tide...but I threw my fly out into just see how it looked and you can see it pretty deep down. This might be dumb, but I was wondering if there is such a thing as "too bright" for a bridge light.....cause it was like day light under them.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Bright Lights

The brighter the bridge light, the better... in my opinion. The fish use the contrast from light to dark to ambuse prey. The greater the contrast, the better the advantage for the stripers. Plus you get better tracking of your fly in the light and the fish are generally easier to spot on the line. We'll see...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts