Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Got a late start today (my fishing buddy is not a morning person) and fished the first half of the rising tide at the Bay Bridges. We got to the put-in at Hemmingway's @ 10am and fished until 2:30pm. While we were unloading two other anglers were just coming in from fishing the morning bite - Mike and Brian from The Maryland Fisherman's Annual magazine. We chatted about their morning on the water and they gave us a few copies of their magazines. The said that they had picked up a few stripers early but that the fishing had been slow. They did mention that there were large white perch in schools along the pilings.

There wasn't much current running against the pilings. We paddled out until the water depth was @ 17′ until we started fishing the wall pilings. I caught one nice white perch on a 3″ chartreuse Gulp grub on a 1/8th oz jig head. I marked big schools of perch deep in the water column behind some of the pilings. If I got my lure down to the bottom I could feel them hitting it. This was the first time that I had fished these small, scented offerings. I think these are definitely going to be part of how I target large white perch with light tackle from now on.

The water quality was great - probably the best I'd ever seen it in mid summer - with 2-3′ of visibility. There was very little wind and the chop wasn't too bad at all. I think if we had had a little cloud cover the fish might've been a little more active.

We worked our way out to the first channel where the water was 100′ deep. I lost a nice fish from underneath one of the 4-piling platforms but ended up getting one decent schoolie on a 5″ BA on the way back in. I had wanted to get as far as the Eastern Shore rock pile but we decided to head in for lunch. The tide (and bite) was picking up at that point but my friend and I were too beat to care by then. Next time I'm going to time my trip with the tide better.

More pics and a detailed report on my blog.
http://smallwater.wordpress.com/

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Sweet report. Nice pics, too. Gulps work great on white perch, especially when the bite is slow. A piece of Fishbites on a regular grub can be pretty effective, too. I've been wondering how to target deep perch with a small jig. I think something like a drop shot rig might be the ticket, but I haven't tried it yet.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts