Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last spring I started jigging with a very lightweight Powell Max casting rod EF682C and I've never had a more sensitive rod. It's still serving me well, but I'm always looking to improve on a good thing. I'm thinking I might try to talk a local custom builder into taking on the project, but from the few I've talked to I haven't sensed much interest. (Yuk yuk, it's tough being out front of the curve!) The characteristics of this style is no cork in front or behind the reel seat & extra-fast action. Anyway, there are two off-the-rack rods that I've found with similar characteristics, both are 6'8, Med weight, extra-fast action: Shimano Cumara, St. Croix Legend Tournament. Any opinions on these rods or does anyone know of another maker with a similar rod?

·
Registered
198 Posts
Shawn-I can truly say that Powell makes a fine rod in general.I have a 14wt fly rod of theirs and it's beautifully finished and is tough as nails.I bet their casting rods are sweet.I wonder if they sell blanks?...

·
Registered
165 Posts
I was at Bass-Pro in Hanover and saw the Sh. Cumara at 250 bucks. Nice rod, but out of my price. Off the counter is a rack with a display of E-21 Carrot Stix. Very light, and was a hundred bucks cheaper. Maybe worth checking them out side by side?

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
Sean I just had Steve F make me a rod with MINIMAL cork on it. So far, I really like it, and he seemed to like making it. If I had it to do over, I'd do even less cork. My hand sits entirely on the realseat so I'm not sure what the cork is for. Just a realseat and a fighting but and you're set, imho.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Shawn
firstly i know a guy who build amazing rods that would love to build an outfit like that for you....he also builds tons of light tackle jigging rods like you want because a lot of the fishing on the obx is inshore jigging...that being said Outer Banks Fishing Bait and Tackle at TW's his name is nathan. He takes great pride in his work....prolly built 15 or more rods for me....so BE CAREFUL....YOU WILL JUST END UP WANTING ANOTHER CUSTOM ROD after this one!!

st. Croix all the way....check out the new legend inshore saltwater blanks (teal), the legend tournaments (blue) are really great too....of course my favorite is the dirty legend elite (brown)...you can feel a trout fart with this rod...also check out the exposed blank reel seats...that will help you gain some extra sensitivity...and as always in a custom....if you want 6ft 8 in exactly don't be bothered by the length of the blank, just know you can always chop the length down to fit your preference....

pmessage me if you want to see some pics of rods

cheers
carey

·
Registered
341 Posts
Rod holder damage

Shawn I know I'm late with this comment but I build my own rods mostly and found that the rods without cork where they touch the upper rim of rod holders get damaged . So the thing to do is either never put them in a rocket launch holder never troll with them or custom build to suit your boat rod holders. Just another little bit of info to consider.
Jerry

·
Registered
8,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Good info all around. Exposed blank is an absolute must. I like three contact points on a casting rod when jigging. My index finger provides the fulcrum while I'm palming the reel. Then another finger or two beneath the reel seat, and finally my left hand on the blank behind the reel. The Shimano Curado series has a two piece handle which provides even more exposure to the blank. Just noticed that the E21 carrot stick rod Hank mentions is also set up that way. I looked at those at BPS. The price is right and maybe I could get past the color but I don't see a medium power with fast or extra fast speed in that model. Custom might be the way to go. The guy Carey mentions sounds interesting. I don't think many of the major rod builders have come around to the light tackle saltwater market yet.

·
Registered
335 Posts
yup yup....have you seen any rods with revolving guides that wrap around? I have my deep drop rod wrapped this way (also by nathan) and i love it.... i've heard it also called "Korean" style....no idea why... i noticed his (personal) bass rods are wrapped this way....i know the design is supposed to give the blank better strength and help reduce the blank from "oval-izing" over time....but i'm sure there is more to it than that

·
Tidal Fish Super Subscriber - I rock!
3,298 Posts
yup yup....have you seen any rods with revolving guides that wrap around? I have my deep drop rod wrapped this way (also by nathan) and i love it.... i've heard it also called "Korean" style....no idea why... i noticed his (personal) bass rods are wrapped this way....i know the design is supposed to give the blank better strength and help reduce the blank from "oval-izing" over time....but i'm sure there is more to it than that
It's called a spiral wrap. Supposed to increase casting distance and reduce the tendancy of a rod to turn reelside down when playing a big fish. It's the popular thing along with microguides for casting roads now for custom rods.

·
Registered
8,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I've looked at the spiral wrapped rods but always wondered if there might be a sensitivity trade off. In my head, the transmitter of the strike from the line to the rod is the rod tip. I wonder if the spiral wrap wouldn't alter that so that the top guide is the transmit point. Is that crazy? Any long time casting rod users made the switch?

·
Registered
18 Posts
I am a very big fan of the cumara its a very sensative rod with great action. Although it has the exposed blank in the handle, at least it is still not bright orange. Brice at alltackle has 6'8" Medium Cumara, and i have heard only good things.

·
Registered
335 Posts
"I've looked at the spiral wrapped rods but always wondered if there might be a sensitivity trade off. In my head, the transmitter of the strike from the line to the rod is the rod tip. I wonder if the spiral wrap wouldn't alter that so that the top guide is the transmit point. Is that crazy? Any long time casting rod users made the switch?"

might not be hearing you right but...
the last guide is pointing down as is the rod tip typically (like that of a spinning rod) so you still have direct line on the tip to feel the bite.. if that helps clear it up??

1 - 15 of 15 Posts