Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lime Green Jel-O

I shot a 7 point small rack buck yesterday morning. His neck was fully swollen, and he smelt bad/ripe. He was horning a tree at the shot, beating the stuffings out of it. Upon skinning said animal, under the neck area, about 1/2 pint of lime green, goooook rolled out from under the skin. I had thought it was a fester from a arrow or a .22 gun shot, but all the meat seems fine, no wounds. Now Iv'e shot rut bucks before but never seen anything like this. How about you?

·
Tidal Fish Super Subscriber - I rock!
1,056 Posts
Lime Green Jel-O

Never seen that one before

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Lime Green Jel-O

It's a new one on me too. This green slime did not come out of his throat, windpipe, or body cavity. It was under the neck between the hide and the meat. Looked like that kids, toy slime stuff best I can describe it. After I skinned him and saw this, I went back to the woods and cut open his stomach/gut. Full of chewed green something and corn kernals. Beats me. Well I ate some of his burger and loins this afternoon, and I'm still feeling OK. I just don't know what it could have been. Thought maybe it was some sort of rut, gland thing. Maybe I'll ask DNR if they know of it.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Lime Green Jel-O

That would have been scary looking even coming from the guts!!!

Should have taken a photograph......you know what they say!!!

Mark

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Lime Green Jel-O

Your right on that one. If by tomorrow morning I start sprouting horns, I'll check in the emg. room. That is if I'm still alive. Deer had lots of big fat ticks on belly, ears and under arm pits. Man, now I'm starting to worry. Somebody tell me they have seen this before.
[sad] T.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Lime Green Jel-O

Probably 10 years ago I shot a small buck and while skinning him a pint or so of pus rolled out from between the hide and the meat. After nearly puking I discovered a reed stuck in his neck. The hide had completely healed over. Hope this makes you feel a little better. How are you feeling? Mad Cow?

·
Registered
142 Posts
Lime Green Jel-O

There is an old affliction of some deer called "Mad Deer" disease. It usually happens when a deer in rut gets shot while chasing the ladies. He11, I'd be pissed off too![wink]

·
Registered
546 Posts
Lime Green Jel-O

YUMMY

Heard of pus sacks forming around broadhead and bullets, never green slim.

I heard those horns itch pretty bad when they start growing. Best of luck.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Lime Green Jel-O

I have had this on 3 deer I have taken in the last 2 years. All were bucks and all pus was located in the neck area. When I checked in one of the deer, there was a biologist there aging the deer and we talked about the pus I found and he said that many bucks will get that after fighting with other bucks during the rut and that it was very common. More than likely your buck had been fighting another a suffered a wound that was healing.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Lime Green Jel-O

That doesn't really make much sense. Even if it was from a scar or bullet the body would seal around it and it would make a large pocket of white blood cells to fight the infection or foreign body. If it was clear and liquid the only chemical in the human body at least that I know if called billy rueben (sp?). Rueben is what gives bile and feces their distinct color. Only other choice would be severe blood infection localized in the neck from a penetrating wound.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Lime Green Jel-O

Thanks all, I'm still alive this evening, although I have had an unusual urge to slam my head into a tree, then piss down my legs.[grin] Maybe a small Cherry tree was the only thing in the woods he could beat up, cause he was sure kicking the sheet out one when I shot him. Not the big buck I was looking for, haven't seen him since mid October. Guess someone else got him, and thats OK as long as he wern't killed by a car and left to rot. But to me, a bucks a buck, who am I to sneer at 130 lbs. of fresh meat. Ate some more burger this afternoon, think I'll go out in the back yard, scrape up some leaves/dirt and piss on it. Thanks, T.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Lime Green Jel-O

Your'e a bigger man than I. I would have at least feed some to someone else first.

DEAN

·
Tidal Fish Super Subscriber - I rock!
1,056 Posts
Lime Green Jel-O

Kinda ironic...I was skinning my dads 6 point to mount last night and between his ear and antler burr on my first cut about a pint of that **** came out and my wife said I looked as if I were going to pray to the toilet. I called every taxidermist I knew right away and each told me that does come from wounds from fighting other bucks and its perfectly normal sometimes its orange too. So p ing on your leg must be from something else![grin]You have not made a scrape yet have you?[tongue]

·
Tidal Fish Commerical Lite Subscriber - My busines
5,137 Posts
Lime Green Jel-O

Such an interesting topic that it forced me to seek advice from the world renowned expert authority on everything, the one and only Dr. Irwin Corey. He is truly amazed that with all the clues given thus far (i.e. slime, green, ticks, etc) that no one yet has diagnosed the deer's condition as that of Lyme Disease. After all, lime (green) does ryhme with slime and there were ticks on the buck = deer ticks. How much more evidence do you need?
Remember, he said it. I didn't!![grin]

Tom, I truly hope you get over this rut you're in.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Lime Green Jel-O

Me too, hope it passes soon. This is some gooooooood meat. My neck went from 18" to 26" in 3 days. I got the backyard all tore up, tree branches all broken. Now I got knots growing atop my old bald head, which ain't pretty. Normally I'm quite the calm guy, but yesterday I shoved my older/bigger than me, best friend in the back, just to see what he would do. I got this urge to run out in front of cars bout 7PM, just to see if their brakes work. Help me Dr. Phil.[grin] T.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Lime Green Jel-O

T- you are a trip, but i've got to warn you, if that rack grows too big out of your head, you're gonna be fair game!! I just hope you don't have to chase your Mrs. as long as some of these bucks chase their does. And I also hope you get it more than one month out of the year or you're gonna be one grouchy son of a gun by next year's crabbing season!! [tongue] FJ

1 - 20 of 20 Posts