Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
2,713 Posts
Personally, for spinning reels I really don't see the need to go higher than 14# Fireline or 15# PowerPro. And on my new an awesome Penn 525 mag, 15# mono. Don't forget a shock leader thats 10# for every oz of lead you're throwing. Length of shock leader should be about 2 rod lengths plus a few wraps around the spool. Also remember to tighten down the drag on the spinner prior to casting and then re-set it before placing it in the sand spike.

· Registered
16 Posts
if you are usingif you are usingPowerpro and you DO NOT tighten the drag, IT WILL SLIP and cut your finger like a Knife! Tighten it or Buy a Shimano Baitrunner, they have a Dual drag system. I use 50 PP on 12 ft heavy rods w Shimano 6500 Baitrunners

· Registered
2,713 Posts
I use a leather finger cot when casting the spinner, even mono puts a hurtin' on me.
When casting a big chunk of lead and bait so much power is generated your drag will slip as you release the line at the end of the forward cast.
Since I've discovered the Penn 525 mag, I think I'll try to get rid of my current surf spinning outfit. Conventionals are fun [grin].

· Registered
1,687 Posts
I fish for everything from spot and kingfish to 150lb+ sharks. I use suffix or Ande mono (suffix is a little better IMHO, but Ande is still quality) or I use Power Pro braid.....I've had no problems with either choice. I also use a top shot (differant LB/tests depending on species). The only warning I'll offer is that you need to tie certain knots with braid, and all my braid to mono connections are tied with an Albright or reverse Albright with a little dab of super glue on the knot

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.