Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gents - Getting the trolling rods ready for the spring season and need to respool the 330's. Currently spooled with grey Ande. Is there a certain color mono that is favored for bay striper trolling?

Thanks in advance.

Paul

·
Registered
7,582 Posts
If it's not yellow, then you're using the wrong color, fellow.:))

Nah…Given that the rock are falling for things such as rubber fish attached by obvious hardware to large metal rods, I wouldn't sweat the line color. In a trolling spread, visibility to you may be more important than to the fish (in that regard, some folks swear that darker colors are more visible in a spread than, say, chartreuse). If you're concerned about line visibility to the fish, then simply tie a short leader of low-viz line. I would not respool your entire reel just for line color's sake.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
I prefer brighter (fluorescent yellow, green, etc) as it is easier to locate lines in the spread. But I have also purchased a bunch of bulk braided line on sale in a less visible dark red, so price wins for me in the end. Don't think it matters to the fish. You have a long leader connecting to the lure(s), so they won't even know what your running line color is.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Jeff - Thanks for the reply. I'm not respooling for color sake. Line has been on the reels for (+ -) 7 years. Haven't used the rods in 2-3 years.

Paul

·
Registered
680 Posts
I think any color is fine. I only concern myself with leader color, which I try to use either clear or a moss green. I don't even know if leader color even makes a bit of difference but it makes me feel better about myself.

·
Registered
636 Posts
It's only because I can see it so well, but I use yellow PowerPro specta, and yellow P line mono. Everything I have ever used has caught fish, so I don't think
color really matters once it's in the water.

Also have used every color for leader. It all works. Trolling for Rockfish is not rocket science. If those fish are out there, anyone and anything can catch them.

·
Registered
14,597 Posts
Line color and Hi vis yellows are used for above water viewing especially with the 18 or so lines with planer boards. I don't think it makes any difference in the water, especially with a mono leader..............Gary

·
Registered
4,578 Posts
I use yellow for braid and Solar for mono only becouse they don't make braid in solar. They are easier than any of the other colors.

·
Premium Member
26,290 Posts
I like different color lines and try to put the rods out so the next one has a different color.

Makes it easier to see which one is over or under another line. If you get a tangle - helps sort that mess out too.

With planer boards - it all starts out nice but as rods get hit / rotated - the line colors often end up with 2-3 the same color next to each other.

Ande is good , tough line and comes in gray , pink , green - maybe other colors now.

Add in a few with braid and you can really mix the colors up.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
I cast my vote with those that believe color (of the main line) is more important to the fisherman than the fish. I have used 40 lb. Suffix Superior mono in high visibility yellow as the main line (80 lb. mono leaders were also used). I could see my line very well and it helped me keep everything organized and avoid tangles. I want to switch over to braid this year (because it cuts through the water easier and gets the bait deeper than mono). I will still stick with the high visibility yellow braid for the main line.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts