Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am undoubtedly tough on line counters..... I have used both Berkly and rapala brand counters and they do not last more than a trip or two before I drop them and they don't work. What kind is everyone else
using? Is there a better option? Thanks

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
I have both. For me they have held up pretty well. I prefer the Rapala. Also have some reels with counters on them that are really nice, but not going to blow a bunch of money making all of the rest counters. You could count bars if using levelwinds. I'm too anal to do that (even fully understanding a few feet either way doesn't make any difference in catching). My solution is to carry a few counters. I'm good for dropping one in the water per year. Cost of doing business. Hell, dropped a nice combo overboard offshore this year so it gets plenty worse than losing a $10 counter :)

·
Premium Member
26,152 Posts
I like the Berkley the best but it looks like all made by same factory - just different housings. I've taken a few apart - inside - all the same parts.

Try using a lanyard around your neck - like used for a whistle by coaches. It is long enough to reach the line in front of reel and prevents the dropping of the fragile ( cheaply made ) line counters.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Line counters are a PITA. I mark all of my lines with a Sharpie, approx 3 inch black marks.

I add roughly 30 feet of leader to lines, regardless if braid or mono main-line. Then I place a stake in the ground, measure out 75 feet with a tape measure and place another stake.

I tie the leader end Coastlock swivel to the far stake then walk back 75 ft. to the second stake. I mark the line at this point. When fishing, it is easy for me to see that mark out another 15 ft or 25 ft additional line. Put another mark, red or blue, at 125 ft.

If you run a way-back line (or two), I keep that rod(s) separate, place marks on the lines at 150, 200 and 250 ft.

Later, when re-stringing leader, put the black mark on the 2nd stake, then add leader and cut it at the first stake. The additional 100 and 125 ft marks will be at the correct measure once you have the first one right. It's easy to estimate 85 ft out because you will see the first mark out 4 ft from a 6 ft rod.

It's more prep work but so much easier once you start deploying lines and even more accurate than counting level-wind bars. It also allows me to test all my knots under stress.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts