Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to try a line counter that attaches to the fishing rod.I feed the line out by hand when trolling and sometime I don"t have much confidence in my depth.I would like to hear from anyone who uses this type of counter.Are they worth buying and what brand works the best?

·
Registered
349 Posts
Got two from cabela's. not sure of the brand but i think they are berkley. they mount on the rod and you slide your line in between the rollers. they have a button on them to release your line. only had them a year but they work great. get the clicker kind. there cheaper than the digital and you don't have to worry about a battery.

·
Registered
861 Posts
GP, do they get in the way while handling the rod? I've never used them, but see how they would be very useful.

Mushy

·
Registered
335 Posts
I wouldnt get them for all rods. If your you have many of the same reels, you can buy one and judge how many feet are out pretty easily- and mark them as well. Its not accurate to a tee but one second is like 10 feet in my case. If you have different groupings of reels, say 3 types, just get 3 counters and judge and mark accordingly to the make.

·
Registered
195 Posts
The thing that must be recognized is consistency, whether you mark your lines, count the seconds, or use the levelwinder. Know how far you put out each line. I use a line counter because I don't have levelwind reels on my charter boat; however, I only use one counter that I have looped to my belt and crimped on the counter (that is to keep the counter from being pulled out of my hand). This way I am using the same counter for consistency and only need one counter for my 15 rod spread. Also, it is never in the way. Put out a rod and put the counter into my pocket while I reach for the next rod. I see no reason to have fourteen on a boat. I have two incase something happens to one. Just be consistent in what ever method you use.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I like it.

I will be running a bunch of new TLD 25s (non-level wind) this coming year and was wondering the same.
The Captains idea about carrying one, maybe two, line counters instead of one on each rod is an excellent idea and one that hadn't occurred to me.
Thanks for that idea.

G

·
Registered
68 Posts
Good method that works

The thing that must be recognized is consistency, whether you mark your lines, count the seconds, or use the levelwinder. Know how far you put out each line. I use a line counter because I don't have levelwind reels on my charter boat; however, I only use one counter that I have looped to my belt and crimped on the counter (that is to keep the counter from being pulled out of my hand). This way I am using the same counter for consistency and only need one counter for my 15 rod spread. Also, it is never in the way. Put out a rod and put the counter into my pocket while I reach for the next rod. I see no reason to have fourteen on a boat. I have two incase something happens to one. Just be consistent in what ever method you use.
hve

This is the method I have used for the last few years, and it works well after a few
trys. Don't forget to use a strap. I lost the first counter because I didn't.

·
Registered
335 Posts
After fishing with a tuna charter captain who uses line counters religiously, I am hooked on them. I carry two also and they are always hooked to my jeans or jacket via a retractable key chain so I don't lose it. It is especially important for deploying long lines accurately (supposed to be accurate to a couple feet). In the case of this charter, we had long lines with ballyhoo out to 400 feet for tuna. Even in the bay for rockfish when I have lines from 80 feet out to almost 300 feet, I like having them exactly where I want them.

As for brands, Berkley, Shimano and Bass Pro brands all work well.

LO :yes:

·
Registered
3,091 Posts
I have them...seems like I buy 10 or 12 new ones each year. Levelwind is the way to go trolling for rockfish...The counters by shakespeare are not very durable

1 - 13 of 13 Posts