Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
These are 2 speed reels I plan to use mostly for trolling as I learn more about fishing off Va beach.
(I hit 60 this Sept. and the plan to put a Dolphin and king in boat this yr! )

Also, I'm Leary of spooling them, Grafton? Is there anywhere in Gloucester? ( closer to Matthews?)

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
We spooled up a few hundred yards of braid with mono on the top for our 30's, 50's and 80's. Seems completely backward but I prefer mono for trolling. As far as where to get them done, I think J&W might spool them. We took all of ours up to Greentop and had them do it for us.

·
Registered
5,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know J&W is closed on Monday plan to call tomorrow. ( not sure they even have hollow core braid)
( I generally used mono with braid overtop,, fluorocarbon leader- for my bay fishing)

Hear its best to get hollow core braid, then add mono on top.. ( for the fishing these reels are planned for)
My have to go to Bishops.
4th reel is delayed till tomorrow.

·
Registered
9,785 Posts
For the 50s, I would go with 130 hollow core Jerry Brown with at least half the capacity. Not length but just fill half the spool up with braid. Then do the hollow core connection using the DaHo needles following the instructions on many youtube videos. Fill the rest with your momoi 80 lb mono. For the 30 just downsize to 100 lb braid and 60 lb mono. Most fish you will never see the braid so it will last forever pretty much then when you have to replace the mono, you don't have as much to buy just keep the braid on there. John Bishop can do it for sure and highly recommend him but best to do it yourself then you know it's done right.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Mine are spooled with JB hollow 130, and topped with 100 yards of 80 or 100 mono. Green top and bishops do a good job. I tried Severn wharf custom rods in Hayes and it wasn't packed nearly tight enough, which is critical with braid. Don't go to west marine in Deltaville either. j&W in Deltaville can do it. I don't think any of the above are JB dealers though; you'll have to order it online, BhP tackle is best. bishops has momoi hollow braid.

If you're just targeting dolphin, then braid is overkill. But it will help if you get bit by a bigeye or blue marlin or something like that.

If you want to learn about splicing hollow core line for topshots and windon leaders, send me a PM. I live in Cobbs Creek and make windons for a variety for applications - jigging, popping, trolling.

·
Registered
5,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the info guys!
Mike I was hoping you would see and reply, was going to send PM if not.
btw, I really don't feel competent enough to fill the reels. I have some other 30's I tried to fill with some 50 mono.
I did Terrible! I had not gone to far before I knew my limitations! I removed it and the girl at west marine d-ville dd it for me.
(much better than I )

Capt A, Thank you sir for offer! I may have to take you up on that offer! Talking about splicing, I am having to go back and learn to splice Anchor rope again, been a longggg time- new/old boat has no chain !

My fishing buddy has new mate on his boat that has some offshore experience, I hear he's ready to go, so I am hoping to take him on some trips so I learn some!
( as in life, the more I learn, the more I realize I really don't know much , wish I was 13- 30 again when I knew it all)

·
Registered
5,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
OK, Bishops is backlogged fora week! ( great for them ,but bad for me- live and learn) J&W when I called didn't even understand what a 30 and 50 wide meant! told the 30vsw and 50 vsw, they called them penn warfare reels! LOL
Going to call Severn wharf custom rods, Any others in area?

·
Registered
5,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
WOW, little over 4hrs worth of stop and go traffic and accidents - not looking forward to going back!
Nice store, very good people from what I could tell.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts