Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok Guys,

I don't surf fish often anymore but do like to get out a few times a year. I am pretty old school and always load my conventional reels with Andie. 30# for Heavers down to 15# for light bait and lure outfits. All with Penns and Abu's conventional reels.

Last year after much pushing by my fishing buddies I loaded one light spinner with PowerPro for Specks. It works pretty good. The reel had always carried 6 or 8 lb test mono. I think because of the feel I caught more fish with it.

Question is can I use the new braided line on conventional surf reels ? I would like to have the low streach and resistance to tide on the lighter ones. I am not so sure about the 30# for Heavers. Were I Drum fish I don't need long cast but do need abrasion resistance.

Any advice appreciated

Boats

·
Registered
593 Posts
Personally I am not a fan of briad on conventionals, but that is just me. I think briad has it's uses (like your trout rod), but I onlly have it on one reel. I have a spinner loaded with 30# Power Pro for casting 2-4oz metal in the surf, but that's about the only time I use briad from the surf.

I use 8# mono for trout and jigging for blues with some 20# flouro shock leader. On my big spinners and conventionals I use 14-20# test (Cajun Red, Sufix Tri-Plus) tied to 30-50# shock leader. Never had an issue at all. Saw plenty of citation red's this Fall caught on 14-17# test to 30-40# shock!

Just my 2 [email protected]!

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Dixie

That's about how I rig. On the Heavers 30# doubled to 50 or 60 shock line enough to go around the spool a couple of times. Lighter rigs 15 # doubled to 30 # shock or more accurate bite tippet since the 30 is only a few inches long. Real light tackle the same way short double line to short bite tip.

I thought I might be missing something you distance casters could be using. I may put some powerpro on a small baitcaster just to see what happens.

Boats

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I'm cool!
538 Posts
B-man

First thing, Dixie and I are surfcasters 8oz & bait not to be confused with real distance casters in anyway :D That said, we tend to shy away from today's super braids for conventionals as they can present a different set of problems when surf casting.

I will use super braid once in a while as backing on a 525 mag for more line capacity. And todays super braids like PowerPro are great for a lot of fishing applications from flounder or specks to freshwater bass. I know guys like Sgt. Slough use super braids to distance cast with on spinning reels and can sling that mess a long way (some 600+ft) with the right set up :eek:

For us ol'conventional surfcasters were still on the mono for the most part (ol'habits die hard). Depending on the surf situation 12-25lb test running line. I like Cajun, Silver Thread, Suffix, & Berkley Big Game for running line while shock I still go with Ande or Berkley 30-60lb test.

My two cents :rolleyes:

ol'tackle ho `bucket

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Bucket,

I stick with Andie not because it's better it's just what my local shop sells in bulk. While I have always run 30 on my Squidders also carry xtra spools with 25 & 30. Most people that fish with me don't have a heaver and use one of mine. It's better to give them an outfit loaded with 30 when they are not real experenced with a conventional reel. The spare is a lot faster to put on than picking out that birds nest. Have a spool loaded with 20too that helps when distance is an issue

On the light rigs with 501's or 146's Same thing xtras 20 down to 15. I do have a light rod with a Abu 6500 that I keep loaded with 12. The big reason for my question is I am building a new outfit for my Son who lives in Frorida. They do a lot of Drum fishing on open beaches for smaller fish than we see here. It's a light blank 10' rated for about 2 oz. He is setting it up with a Blue Yonder and wants distance as much as anything else. I would normaly go for 15 or even 12 mono and wondered if braid was sutiable.

Boats

1 - 5 of 5 Posts